Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Yeah, it's getting political, but how can you possibly have a "Will There Be a Football Season" discussion without talking about the various authorities who will affect that decision? 

There are plenty of football threads with zero politics you can visit. Let this one wander as needed. Some interesting voices here that typically avoid P&R. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You made some good points earlier.  Then you stopped. You really aren't paying attention. 

I am paying attention, I just have a very different opinion.  I believe a good portion of our media is being paid to narrate a message a certain way from multiple interests.  I believe the virus is bad but that we as a society are going to have to learn to live with it.  I believe we need to move forward before our economy gets to a point it can't.  I believe our societies mental health is going downhill quickly.  Imo, this will have a larger effect than the virus will on our overall population.  I believe sports, work, and every day life returning would go a long ways towards fixing those problems.  Football, and sports in general, returning would mean more to this country than many people understand imo.    

58 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

People straight up don't understand the domino effect. Thats great that individuals don't mind taking on more risk, but they don't wrap their heads around the fact that it could inadvertently put others at risk. If hospitals fill up because of lax COVID restrictions, we're talking heart transplants that can't take place, trauma patients that can't be cared for, elective surgeries on hold - all due to a strained system with a lack of resources. 

People keep trying to frame this as an individual liberties issue, but by definition a pandemic is not an 'individual' issue, it's a society-level and global-level issue!

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, it's getting political, but how can you possibly have a "Will There Be a Football Season" discussion without talking about the various authorities who will affect that decision? 

There are plenty of football threads with zero politics you can visit. Let this one wander as needed. Some interesting voices here that typically avoid P&R. 

I agree “some” politics can not be avoided with this thread. But going down the road of same sex marriage and abortion is “way” off 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

"It’s an insidious disease that doesn’t care what wackadoo wingnut network Mike Gundy thinks is real news." :LOLtartar

Remember when Gundy said he was going to have his players back to training on May 1?

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I am paying attention, I just have a very different opinion.  I believe a good portion of our media is being paid to narrate a message a certain way from multiple interests.  I believe the virus is bad but that we as a society are going to have to learn to live with it.  I believe we need to move forward before our economy gets to a point it can't.  I believe our societies mental health is going downhill quickly.  Imo, this will have a larger effect than the virus will on our overall population.  I believe sports, work, and every day life returning would go a long ways towards fixing those problems.  Football, and sports in general, returning would mean more to this country than many people understand imo.    

I believe that this opinion and the actions of those that hold it are the reason we won't have college football.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

So, the federal government has no responsibility to its populous to provide for its welfare?

Define welfare.  Safety from attack international. yes. 

By act of Congress per powers given it in the Constitution.  yes. 

General welfare?  no. very little.  Thats really a state local deal. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I think everyone agrees with this. Even the media. We need to reopen businesses. We need to protect our mental health. At the same time, it looks like we may have reopened too big, too early and the consequences might be pretty bad. Fatality rates are dropping, but overwhelmed ICUs are rising. Time will tell. Meanwhile, facemasks have been turned into a political litmus test, but at the moment they are simply the best and easiest way to slow the spread. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

You want to move forward? Then be responsible. Wear masks. Isolate. Test, test, test. Contract trace. Dedicate resources to isolating and containing this disease. We haven't done that. At all. Many, many, many other nations with less resources than America have done that, and they're recovering.  We aren't recovering, and in fact we're going backwards.

The truth?  There won't be football this fall, and it's not because of "the party trying to get into the White House." It's because the guy in the White House is a buffoon, propped up by other buffoons, and they've completely screwed this up.  They didn't listen to experts. They didn't have a plan at all.  All that isolating and "closing down" we just did was for nothing. "Opening up" was a huge, huge mistake. People not wearing masks is a huge, huge mistake.

Today the European Union banned travelers from America. The United States accounts for one quarter of all known positive COVID cases. We account for one quarter of all known COVID deaths - and there's great evidence that our deaths are underreported.

It is not surprising, however, to hear people continually calling for the US to move forward, to continue on, to have sports for entertainment of all things, because the most-watched cable "news" network has been pumping that into peoples' ears for months. At first they called it a hoax, then they claimed it was a liberal conspiracy, and now they're declaring Mission Accomplished, and people are just eating it up.

Yep. We really cocked this one up. Say hello to the countries that will be playing sports sooner than we will. 

104475419_745787732823526_8382320958400086313_n.png

• Plus1 4
32 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Define welfare.  Safety from attack international. yes. 

By act of Congress per powers given it in the Constitution.  yes. 

General welfare?  no. very little.  Thats really a state local deal. 

I believe our current President has declared the coronavirus an international attack. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

37 Clemson players. Half had symptoms. No hospitalizations. 430 tests total thereabouts. It’s   Less than 10% with no bad illness. 

a Johns Hopkins doctor on the radio today said he thinks 10x people have had it nationally which would make for 20-25 million cases, with 125,000 deaths. That’s .5%, the flu is .1%...

just some numbers I heard today...anyone else hear of how we’re doing or other national teams? 

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. We really cocked this one up. Say hello to the countries that will be playing sports sooner than we will. 

104475419_745787732823526_8382320958400086313_n.png

Trusting the numbers is part of the problem as they have not been well explained or even consistent. States like Virginia, Georgia, and Texas count virus and antibody tests as the same thing. Some states do not. There is also no filtering out of duplicates for people getting tested more than once. With antibody tests being reported and becoming generally available mid-May you would expect the numbers to inflate even with nothing really changing. Unfortunately as the testing was increasing states started to reopen, some goobers started running around with no masks for 'ma freedom', protests happened, and riots happened. Any of those would have a notable effect on the numbers. Combine them all and we don't have a controlled trickle as we turn the faucet back on. Instead we get a wide open fire hose and it becomes impossible to track what each portion led to. Because of the ambiguity I don't think anything will change unless the death rate significantly increases toward previous levels. If that doesn't happen I think we'll see something resembling football this fall. Another 6 weeks should be enough to determine what the current higher numbers really mean. That should give the decision makers enough top cover to make a decision either way.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, I am I said:

37 Clemson players. Half had symptoms. No hospitalizations. 430 tests total thereabouts. It’s   Less than 10% with no bad illness. 

a Johns Hopkins doctor on the radio today said he thinks 10x people have had it nationally which would make for 20-25 million cases, with 125,000 deaths. That’s .5%, the flu is .1%...

just some numbers I heard today...anyone else hear of how we’re doing or other national teams? 

Yep...but...well...you know

• Haha 1