Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

59 minutes ago, I am I said:

37 Clemson players. Half had symptoms. No hospitalizations. 430 tests total thereabouts. It’s   Less than 10% with no bad illness. 

a Johns Hopkins doctor on the radio today said he thinks 10x people have had it nationally which would make for 20-25 million cases, with 125,000 deaths. That’s .5%, the flu is .1%...

just some numbers I heard today...anyone else hear of how we’re doing or other national teams? 

If only we would put Dustin Hoffman in charge of the White House coronavirus task force this would all be over already. He cured the outbreak disease in like a week 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, I am I said:

37 Clemson players. Half had symptoms. No hospitalizations. 430 tests total thereabouts. It’s   Less than 10% with no bad illness. 

a Johns Hopkins doctor on the radio today said he thinks 10x people have had it nationally which would make for 20-25 million cases, with 125,000 deaths. That’s .5%, the flu is .1%...

just some numbers I heard today...anyone else hear of how we’re doing or other national teams? 

The problem with comparing it to the flu is that humans have some built in immunity to the flu and a vaccine that helps prevent infections. So, only 25-50 million people a year get the flu and .1% die for somewhere around 25-60k deaths a year. And the age is even more skewed to the elderly as well as no long lasting effects. 

With Covid, we have no immunity and no vaccine to help prevent infections. So, let's say a really safe estimate is half of 330 million people get it before herd immunity slows the spread some and the death rate is 0.5%.  That's 575,000 deaths or almost 10 years of flu deaths at the high end of estimates. In addition, we are only beginning to understand the long term effects this has on the body.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The problem with comparing it to the flu is that humans have some built in immunity to the flu and a vaccine that helps prevent infections. So, only 25-50 million people a year get the flu and .1% die for somewhere around 25-60k deaths a year. And the age is even more skewed to the elderly as well as no long lasting effects. 

With Covid, we have no immunity and no vaccine to help prevent infections. So, let's say a really safe estimate is half of 330 million people get it before herd immunity slows the spread some and the death rate is 0.5%.  That's 575,000 deaths or almost 10 years of flu deaths at the high end of estimates. In addition, we are only beginning to understand the long term effects this has on the body.

A very reasonable response.  The bolded is what I feel like some people are underestimating and that may be a dangerous game to be playing if lung function is involved.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, I am I said:

I only compared it to the flu because that’s the closest illness it appears to be. I get it’s bad, I was just pointing out updates stats. 

so how are we fairing? Do we have a few that have it? 

The problem with stats is that they make it easy to hide reality.  

Let’s say this guess (because it is just that,  an estimate not actual statistics) that 20 million Americans contracted COVID-19 is accurate. 

While yes that brings the death rate down to .5%, you have to remember that equates to 120k actual dead people. 

20 million is roughly 10% of the US population. Which means we’ve only seen 10% of the deaths. 

If we don’t stop the spread we’re talking 1.2 million deaths. 

.5% is a very large number of deaths for any disease, especially one that spreads as quickly and easily as COVID-19. 

This is not the flu.

• Plus1 3

I don’t follow the virus stats very close, but my understanding is we are doing a better job of treating people, they have a steroid that reduces your chance of serious complications and some medical experts are saying the virus is showing signs of losing strength. With all that said it seems the rate of death seems to be declining so I think .5 will probably go down more over time. 

Does anyone know what age group makes up most of the recent deaths? I know to start it was mostly elderly but then we saw reports of some young people too.

You know, I once read a story about a kid in a gang who got shot, and was absolutely shocked to find how much it hurt. He thought that when you got shot, you died, and that was pretty much it.

Some of these people who treat COVID-19 as a thing where 'either you live or you die and that's pretty much it' remind me of that kid...

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Define welfare.  Safety from attack international. yes. 

By act of Congress per powers given it in the Constitution.  yes. 

General welfare?  no. very little.  Thats really a state local deal. 

Up until the mid '30s, this might have been the defining interpretation. The New Deal and the court cases that followed it evolved that thought process, though. I found this reading particularly interesting: https://www.acslaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/ACS_KeepFaith_Chap-4.pdf, this quote in particular - 

The lesson of the New Deal is thus similar to the lesson of Brown: constitutional interpretation that is untethered to social context and unresponsive to the lived experience of the American people cannot keep faith with a charter of government designed to endure and meet the challenges facing each generation, and will not long command legitimacy.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So we know that most colleges are having students on campus.  To me that means the season will be about as normal as can be.  I think the question is more about what happens after about the first 3 weeks.

This is my main thought too, and we talked about it in your status regarding OPS, but I'm of the mind that we'll have as "normal" of a start to the school year as the Powers That Be want, but by the middle of the semester, we'll be back to distance learning. I could see the football season starting, but being cancelled somewhere in the middle as a result. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

This is my main thought too, and we talked about it in your status regarding OPS, but I'm of the mind that we'll have as "normal" of a start to the school year as the Powers That Be want, but by the middle of the semester, we'll be back to distance learning. I could see the football season starting, but being cancelled somewhere in the middle as a result. 

I could totally see this happening. 

28 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

So what your saying is it’s possible we go undefeated this year? 

• Haha 2