Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don’t follow the virus stats very close, but my understanding is we are doing a better job of treating people, they have a steroid that reduces your chance of serious complications and some medical experts are saying the virus is showing signs of losing strength. With all that said it seems the rate of death seems to be declining so I think .5 will probably go down more over time. 

Does anyone know what age group makes up most of the recent deaths? I know to start it was mostly elderly but then we saw reports of some young people too.

Fatality rates have dropped significantly, even as infection rates have risen. That's very good news. It may be better testing and preparedness, better treatment for serious cases, the virus weakening in the summer, all or none of the above. It may also be that the most vulnerable people died in the first months. 

Just heard last night that the fastest growth of infections in Florida were among the 25 -35 year olds. That's infections, not deaths. Problem is, enough people are getting sick in this new surge to start stressing hospitals, who will now be challenged to treat everyone with any serious ailment. And that always was the big issue: shutting down cripples the economy. Doing nothing cripples the economy and kills thousands more people. Right now the death rate is roughly 5x the flu, but a pandemic presents other problems beyond the infection/fatality ratio. 

People who do study the stats very closely  and have spent a lifetime in epidemiology are virtually unanimous that we're taking this too lightly. I think there's still a scenario for doing more and doing it safely, including playing sports next month, but it starts with people accepting it's not an over-hyped hoax or political plot.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fatality rates have dropped significantly, even as infection rates have risen. That's very good news. It may be better testing and preparedness, better treatment for serious cases, the virus weakening in the summer, all or none of the above. It may also be that the most vulnerable people died in the first months. 

Just heard last night that the fastest growth of infections in Florida were among the 25 -35 year olds. That's infections, not deaths. Problem is, enough people are getting sick in this new surge to start stressing hospitals, who will now be challenged to treat everyone with any serious ailment. And that always was the big issue: shutting down cripples the economy. Doing nothing cripples the economy and kills thousands more people. Right now the death rate is roughly 5x the flu, but a pandemic presents other problems beyond the infection/fatality ratio. 

People who do study the stats very closely  and have spent a lifetime in epidemiology are virtually unanimous that we're taking this too lightly. I think there's still a scenario for doing more and doing it safely, including playing sports next month, but it starts with people accepting it's not an over-hyped hoax or political plot.  

Very good thoughts. I am of the opinion we need a truly non political media outlet that just reports on the facts. If one exists please let me know. I think some of the mass swings of national opinions is because the media outlets over dramatize what benefits the political party they support. It’s hard to find data you can believe and trust. I feel like the current state of the media is like a negotiation- the left goes way left and the right goes way right. Both hoping things fall in the middle. At least I hope that’s the case and we really don’t have a bunch of loonies out there on both sides 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Something else people aren't talking enough about is the long-term effects of this disease. There's no evidence of herd immunity and there's substantial evidence that you can contract it multiple times.

So let's say you get it, a mild form, and you recover. It does minimal damage to your lungs, and you're moving on with your life.

Then you get it again, and it does some more damage to your lungs. What's that second round going to look like? And how quickly do you go from "healthy person under 60" to "kinda lung-damaged person under 60?"

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Something else people aren't talking enough about is the long-term effects of this disease. There's no evidence of herd immunity and there's substantial evidence that you can contract it multiple times.

So let's say you get it, a mild form, and you recover. It does minimal damage to your lungs, and you're moving on with your life.

Then you get it again, and it does some more damage to your lungs. What's that second round going to look like? And how quickly do you go from "healthy person under 60" to "kinda lung-damaged person under 60?"

Serious question- not being a smart a$$. What evidence is there you can get it more than once? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Serious question- not being a smart a$$. What evidence is there you can get it more than once? 

That's not a smartass question, it's kind of THE question.

There have been reports of reinfections of COVID-19 from South Korea and China, but the biggest problem is lack of data. We really don't know if it does reinfect, and the big wildcard is mutation. We know viruses mutate, like the common cold coronaviruses, which is why we get colds every year and don't develop immunity. 

If it doesn't reinfect, herd immunity is a thing and we'll move past this. If it does, we're a bit screwed.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

My brother's friend has had it twice. Once in early April, and just got it again. Works for a local grocery chain, where he think he got it. I was playing Xbox with him the other day and asked how he's doing. He hasn't been hospitalized or anything, but it certainly isn't a vacation.

• Thanks 1

I am afraid the media is going to keep the football season from happening.  That and Dems wanting control.  The more testing the more they are going to find.  Just the way it works.  Some feel it has been here since last October, me for one.

Wife has dealt with it since the start, no second timers so far.  Had one nurse get sick/slightly missed three days of work because CDC required it.  Mortality rate is falling rapidly, most that get it don't even know they have it.  No spikes in  Riverside County that she is aware of.  Says most of the uptake is coming from Mexico. US citizens that live in Mexico and returning to the US for tests and treatment.  Her comment just a few minutes ago was the general population (Media Scare) is far more worried about it than the health officials in the local area.

Really sorry so many are so afraid of this.  It has not affected my daily routine in any way.  Other than I could not eat at my favorite restaurant for a couple of months.   73 years old and numerous other factor supposedly to be concerned about.  Just finished a 22 mile bike ride, average heart rate for 1 hour and 26 minutes was 130, max 148.  Average speed on a mountain bike 14.2 and high of 29.3.  If I can be out and about every single day, live with a person that faces it every day of the week you guys should be safe.  When we finally start to feel safe, the chance of football may come back.  The way it is now, no chance of a season for the Big Red in any of the major sports.  Sad for those that have lost their lives, due to poor information and treatment, especially by cowardly doctors that would not even physically see patients.  Mine being one of them!!!!!

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I am afraid the media is going to keep the football season from happening.  That and Dems wanting control.  The more testing the more they are going to find.  Just the way it works.  Some feel it has been here since last October, me for one.

Wife has dealt with it since the start, no second timers so far.  Had one nurse get sick/slightly missed three days of work because CDC required it.  Mortality rate is falling rapidly, most that get it don't even know they have it.  No spikes in  Riverside County that she is aware of.  Says most of the uptake is coming from Mexico. US citizens that live in Mexico and returning to the US for tests and treatment.  Her comment just a few minutes ago was the general population (Media Scare) is far more worried about it than the health officials in the local area.

Really sorry so many are so afraid of this.  It has not affected my daily routine in any way.  Other than I could not eat at my favorite restaurant for a couple of months.   73 years old and numerous other factor supposedly to be concerned about.  Just finished a 22 mile bike ride, average heart rate for 1 hour and 26 minutes was 130, max 148.  Average speed on a mountain bike 14.2 and high of 29.3.  If I can be out and about every single day, live with a person that faces it every day of the week you guys should be safe.  When we finally start to feel safe, the chance of football may come back.  The way it is now, no chance of a season for the Big Red in any of the major sports.  Sad for those that have lost their lives, due to poor information and treatment, especially by cowardly doctors that would not even physically see patients.  Mine being one of them!!!!!

wtf_talking_about_wolf_of_wallstreet.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

I only know of one person who has contracted Covid with a confirmed test. He is under 30 and spiked a fever and constantly couldn't keep fluids down/stay hydrated. He ended up hospitalized and on a ventilator for a few days. From what I know, no other underlying conditions and relatively healthy guy.

First hand knowledge of the disease.  It does not sound like another single person has had it on this site.  The sky is falling at all times, and the only positive hope on this site is that we hope we have a football season.  Sheep it seems to me.  I do not know a single person that has contracted Covid.  Not one.  Just returned from a major mountain bike trip to Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and Nevada and still no Covid.  Now I don't lick door knobs, I do wear a mask when I am around people I don't know.  Just trying to give a different outlook than all the doom and gloom.  Sorry if I offended anyone.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
11 minutes ago, skersfan said:

First hand knowledge of the disease.  It does not sound like another single person has had it on this site.  The sky is falling at all times, and the only positive hope on this site is that we hope we have a football season.  Sheep it seems to me.  I do not know a single person that has contracted Covid.  Not one.  Just returned from a major mountain bike trip to Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and Nevada and still no Covid.  Now I don't lick door knobs, I do wear a mask when I am around people I don't know.  Just trying to give a different outlook than all the doom and gloom.  Sorry if I offended anyone.

This is the decade of being offended no worries. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, skersfan said:

Sounds like you're saying since it hasn't had a negative impact on your life then in turn it isn't a big deal. Yes the deadliest pandemic in the US since 1918 may inconvenience your life. I don't think you're wrong by saying there is hope, and college football could be played. I personally think we're going to turn a corner on this thing soon. 

But just remember next time you try and down play it, and use your life as an example - just know this has killed 125,000+ Americans and the person you are talking to may have not had the rainbow and unicorn fart experience of the pandemic you have had. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1