Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

We have different opinions.  I tend not to believe the supposed experts that have been wrong as much as they have been right.  I pray for all that have lost family members due to it.  But I deal with it daily, I have the danger at my door every single day.  The front line worker I am married to sees it every single work day for 10 to 12 hours a day.  If you have the same scenario feel free to call it what you want.  If not your opinion really does not matter to me.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 3

24 minutes ago, skersfan said:

We have different opinions.  I tend not to believe the supposed experts that have been wrong as much as they have been right.  I pray for all that have lost family members due to it.  But I deal with it daily, I have the danger at my door every single day.  The front line worker I am married to sees it every single work day for 10 to 12 hours a day.  If you have the same scenario feel free to call it what you want.  If not your opinion really does not matter to me.  

My wife and I are both front line workers. Her an RN, me an RRT. But like I said, it seems like your reluctant to take in account anyone else’s experience and just assume your own is the end all be all. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, skersfan said:

I am afraid the media is going to keep the football season from happening.  That and Dems wanting control.  The more testing the more they are going to find.  Just the way it works.  Some feel it has been here since last October, me for one.

Wife has dealt with it since the start, no second timers so far.  Had one nurse get sick/slightly missed three days of work because CDC required it.  Mortality rate is falling rapidly, most that get it don't even know they have it.  No spikes in  Riverside County that she is aware of.  Says most of the uptake is coming from Mexico. US citizens that live in Mexico and returning to the US for tests and treatment.  Her comment just a few minutes ago was the general population (Media Scare) is far more worried about it than the health officials in the local area.

The media and the Dems don't explain why other countries are going through the same crisis and enacting similar -- or stronger -- restrictions. 

The rest of your anecdotal evidence about Riverside County doesn't seem to be supported by the facts: 

https://patch.com/california/temecula/coronavirus-cases-top-10-000-riverside-county-spike-continues

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I suspect the number of cases is about 10x higher than actually reported. 5% of NBA playing showed up with it. 20% of the seamen on the aircraft carrier got it, but that was a pretty closed environment. That would be 25 million Americans. The CDC came out and said the same thing about a week ago although they are not always right either. I am not so concerned about increased cases, but I do watch hospitalizations which was the reason we such down in the first place. Talking to my bro in SA Texas, the COVID ICU is getting pretty full. It makes sense to pullback opening in those areas again and give people a another lesson in not being stupid about this. That said, my county in Colorado just threw the doors open wider yesterday, and I am OK with that. My family wears masks when appropriate, when asked, and to be courteous. Wash and or sanitize hands when coming and going. I still work from home for the most part. It makes sense to me to move forward unless it picks up again and then target the areas where it does, based on hospital needs. This is with us for the long haul. Need to learn to live with it. Hopefully we are better at it when the next one hits.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sounds like you're saying since it hasn't had a negative impact on your life then in turn it isn't a big deal. Yes the deadliest pandemic in the US since 1918 may inconvenience your life. I don't think you're wrong by saying there is hope, and college football could be played. I personally think we're going to turn a corner on this thing soon. 

But just remember next time you try and down play it, and use your life as an example - just know this has killed 125,000+ Americans and the person you are talking to may have not had the rainbow and unicorn fart experience of the pandemic you have had. 

true, per the CDC at least twice as many people died from Covid then Influenza in 2019-2020 flu season (high end estimate by CDC 62,000 deaths from influenza).

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

I am guessing we will begin our HS season and it will come to a screeching halt near mid-September.  We went back to HS baseball/softball bc it is played in summer in Iowa.  Teams have already dropped their team due to players contracting and rest of team in quarantine.  In football a 14 day quarantine everytime a player or coach gets diagnosed,  more than likely cost 2 games and 8 practices.  

• Fire 1

so many people involved with a football team.......i don't see how any team can go through a season without multiple cases/infections.

i have no answer, only i think the players are going to sit this one out. too much risk of them contracting the disease and passing it on to their families.  if the fall season (only 3 months away)sees an uptick, that will shut things down.

also player demands and social unhappiness likely to fuel even more issues.....chaos. no time to coach or game plan when distractions are coming at you at 100 mph.

5 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

so many people involved with a football team.......i don't see how any team can go through a season without multiple cases/infections.

i have no answer, only i think the players are going to sit this one out. too much risk of them contracting the disease and passing it on to their families.  if the fall season (only 3 months away)sees an uptick, that will shut things down.

also player demands and social unhappiness likely to fuel even more issues.....chaos. no time to coach or game plan when distractions are coming at you at 100 mph.

You are spot on. With football being a contact sport, everyone is in close proximity of almost everyone else. Not only on your team, but opponents.  One player from either squad test positive, more than likely both teams may have to quarantine.  Let alone huddled, team meeatings and locker rooms that aren't designed for social distancing (hs).

Parents have pulled kids and will pull kids to not only protect student/athlete,  but themselves and other potentially at risk relatives.  Dont want to sound bleak, but as far as HS is concerned,  I am worried  about the season taking place. This will be a player/parent issue more than media/politics.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, HANC said:

You are spot on. With football being a contact sport, everyone is in close proximity of almost everyone else. Not only on your team, but opponents.  One player from either squad test positive, more than likely both teams may have to quarantine.  Let alone huddled, team meeatings and locker rooms that aren't designed for social distancing (hs).

Parents have pulled kids and will pull kids to not only protect student/athlete,  but themselves and other potentially at risk relatives.  Dont want to sound bleak, but as far as HS is concerned,  I am worried  about the season taking place. This will be a player/parent issue more than media/politics.

Yeah, it is almost hard to even be excited about coaching HS ball right now because I don't think it will happen.

Going back to the train of thought I posted in this thread on Friday, I really think that the bottom line is the risk of litigation. Debating the perceived or objective seriousness of coronavirus as it relates to whether or not college football returns is probably kind of futile.

If the games were played with nobody in the stands, the risk of litigation goes down monumentally for the schools...but then there's still the safety of players & staff.

My prediction is that the season doesn't happen. And for that reason, my interest in Husker football is definitely dwindling down very fast. All kind of feels a bit pointless at this juncture.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Going back to the train of thought I posted in this thread on Friday, I really think that the bottom line is the risk of litigation. Debating the perceived or objective seriousness of coronavirus as it relates to whether or not college football returns is probably kind of futile.

If the games were played with nobody in the stands, the risk of litigation goes down monumentally for the schools...but then there's still the safety of players & staff.

My prediction is that the season doesn't happen. And for that reason, my interest in Husker football is definitely dwindling down very fast. All kind of feels a bit pointless at this juncture.

Again, I'd never deny the power of lawyers, lawsuits and angry plaintiffs, but right now it feels more like the disconnect between the spectators who desperately want this to happen, and the people we are asking to perform for us. I think the motivation for cancelling will involve a critical mass of players and staff simply feeling uncomfortable with the risks -- even if it's sickness rather than death -- and that the people canceling have genuine empathy for the people under their charge. We're all in a similar boat. 

The NBA and MLB are about to show us if this can work, but we might not see the results before any fall decisions have to be made. 

So - if the powers that make the rules and do prevent sports this fall, then the discussion ought to move into the what this means to the short and long term future.

For example, does this basically kill the 2020 recruiting class?  Why would a h.s. senior remain committed to any school when there is some question as to whether any program will even exist for 2021 & beyond?  Will NCAA change the rules, eligibility, etc?

Will schools be able to survive without sports for a year?  Will coaches stay?  Will players transfer?   

What should current juniors and

or seniors to be this fall want to risk injury etc to play what msy be a one, two or few game season?

If any NFL caliber senior may want to sit out rather than risk career impacting activities for a couple games.  

Just curious what opinions may be on the consequences of no sports due to virus risks?

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, I'd never deny the power of lawyers, lawsuits and angry plaintiffs, but right now it feels more like the disconnect between the spectators who desperately want this to happen, and the people we are asking to perform for us. I think the motivation for cancelling will involve a critical mass of players and staff simply feeling uncomfortable with the risks -- even if it's sickness rather than death -- and that the people canceling have genuine empathy for the people under their charge. We're all in a similar boat. 

The NBA and MLB are about to show us if this can work, but we might not see the results before any fall decisions have to be made. 

I think we're pretty much saying the same things. That's why I specifically said this:

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As you say, there will almost certainly be a sizable-enough contingency of the players & staff that feel uncomfortable resuming "life as normal" that football life doesn't actually go back to normal. There might be protests, walkouts, or coaching staffs might just take a vote and say "our team isn't going to participate."

It's all speculation at this point, but the current societal wind tells me there won't be college football.

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think we're pretty much saying the same things. That's why I specifically said this:

As you say, there will almost certainly be a sizable-enough contingency of the players & staff that feel uncomfortable resuming "life as normal" that football life doesn't actually go back to normal. There might be protests, walkouts, or coaching staffs might just take a vote and say "our team isn't going to participate."

It's all speculation at this point, but the current societal wind tells me there won't be college football.

If the season does get cancelled. I think EA sports needs to release NCAA Football 2020 immediately. The best player from each team represents their team and the season is played on playstation/xbox/nintendo. 

• Haha 1