Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

40 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If the season does get cancelled. I think EA sports needs to release NCAA Football 2020 immediately. The best player from each team represents their team and the season is played on playstation/xbox/nintendo. 

Nice, I like it.

I'm starting to lose confidence. Two local community colleges just ended all of their sports programs and laid everyone off because of the impact of the virus on budgets/inability to play. Obviously the effect on bigger schools is different but if one Power 5 or Group 5 college pulls the plug everything could come tumbling down.

I can imagine winning a lawsuit over contracting Covid-19 would be nearly impossible.

You'd have to prove that you know where you got it, and that the entity you're suing was negligent in some way that allowed you to get the virus...

At this point, it's a known risk.  No entity is able to prevent it, nor protect you from it, nor even identify how much of the risk may be present in their establishment.  So if you're in public, you're at risk, though it's nearly impossible to tell how much risk and by whom...

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm starting to lose confidence. Two local community colleges just ended all of their sports programs and laid everyone off because of the impact of the virus on budgets/inability to play. Obviously the effect on bigger schools is different but if one Power 5 or Group 5 college pulls the plug everything could come tumbling down.

Yeah, this is where I am at.  A month ago I would have bet my beach house that the season was going to be on and be normal.

Now, I would bet my other beach house that HS seasons will start and then stop by week 3.  

CFB is such a different animal.  But I am starting to think that it won't start.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, 307husker said:

I can imagine winning a lawsuit over contracting Covid-19 would be nearly impossible.

You'd have to prove that you know where you got it, and that the entity you're suing was negligent in some way that allowed you to get the virus...

At this point, it's a known risk.  No entity is able to prevent it, nor protect you from it, nor even identify how much of the risk may be present in their establishment.  So if you're in public, you're at risk, though it's nearly impossible to tell how much risk and by whom...

Devil's advocate. It would be easy to win a lawsuit over contracting Covid if you were involved with collegiate athletics. You wouldn't have to prove where you got it, only that the school/program/coach was negligent and put you at risk. The fact it is known thing doesn't mitigate it at all. One instance of weight equipment not being wiped down, one situation of no mask or less than 6' distance and judgement falls in that person's favor.

I like your view better but I've lived in this country way too long to think winning a lawsuit like this would be hard at all.

As to major conferences playing.  I don't think the Pac12 will have fans in attendance if they play.  Our Governor has stated no large crowds until a vaccine is found or at least until 2021.

Taylor Swift concert has been cancelled.

Cochellla has been cancelled and that had been moved back to October.

Football with no fans is possible, as most never come close to selling out an event other than Oregon. 

59 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, this is where I am at.  A month ago I would have bet my beach house that the season was going to be on and be normal.

Now, I would bet my other beach house that HS seasons will start and then stop by week 3.  

CFB is such a different animal.  But I am starting to think that it won't start.  

I am impressed you have 2 beach houses. I just bought a lake hut and as you and I agreed on earlier, I would also bet my gut that the HS season will not see week 5. In fact, may not get started. So very sad. I just dont know about ncaa.  At this time I say no.  Definitely full stadiums will not exist.  Medicine and facts will prevail over politics. My brother had it, so I know it is for real.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Devil's advocate. It would be easy to win a lawsuit over contracting Covid if you were involved with collegiate athletics. You wouldn't have to prove where you got it, only that the school/program/coach was negligent and put you at risk. The fact it is known thing doesn't mitigate it at all. One instance of weight equipment not being wiped down, one situation of no mask or less than 6' distance and judgement falls in that person's favor.

I like your view better but I've lived in this country way too long to think winning a lawsuit like this would be hard at all.

When is the last time a player won a lawsuit after being injured during a game?

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Thats not how it works.

1 hour ago, HANC said:

I am impressed you have 2 beach houses. I just bought a lake hut and as you and I agreed on earlier, I would also bet my gut that the HS season will not see week 5. In fact, may not get started. So very sad. I just dont know about ncaa.  At this time I say no.  Definitely full stadiums will not exist.  Medicine and facts will prevail over politics. My brother had it, so I know it is for real.

Are your guys up at school doing lifting and stuff?

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I think you would get more settlement type things,

When dudes get hurt bad in the weightroom, they are taken care of I am sure.

37 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Are your guys up at school doing lifting and stuff?

Opens July 1 with guidelines of 10 or less including coach. Masks required if spotting or performing a spotted lift. With only a month to lift and most of that would be spent in the base phase,  we are meeting outside and doing strong man stuff, and football related movements. 

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Thats not how it works.

I'm not sure what you're referring to but it would be extremely easy to claim and prove negligence in this situation. I also think it wouldn't require much evidence to claim that is where/how you contracted it. That is how it works.

You could make the players (and their parents/guardians) sign the most air-tight waivers imaginable and you'd still be on the hook for negligence.  I'm not saying any of this is required or will happen or that I agree with it. Simply saying concern over lawsuits is a real issue for the schools/programs. It's not the non-issue you portrayed it as.

45 minutes ago, HANC said:

Opens July 1 with guidelines of 10 or less including coach. Masks required if spotting or performing a spotted lift. With only a month to lift and most of that would be spent in the base phase,  we are meeting outside and doing strong man stuff, and football related movements. 

That’s crazy.  We have been lifting, with limited numbers, but have been full go all June. No masks and small groups.  We have had a few practices, but July is when we have about 14 contact days for football.