Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

4 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

When is the last time a player won a lawsuit after being injured during a game?

Injuries are an inherent risk of the sport.  Contracting a pandemic level communicable disease while playing a sport that, by it’s nature, is virtually impossible to adhere to well established risk mitigation guidelines is NOT an inherent risk of football.   I think that’s the difference here.  Sure you could argue that x person wasn’t forced to play, but do you really want to leave it up to a potentially sympathetic jury who is primarily comprised of non-football fans thanks to nifty work by the litigating attorneys?  

• Plus1 3

I must have misunderstood Frost during his recent interview presser as I thot he said that UNL would NOT be revealing positive test results at all.  Next thing is he is doing just that.  The thot of any more of those virus task force pressers or daily updates just nauseates me.   

I have had more than a lifetime’s worth already by mayors, governors, whitehouse, etc etc.  

After 6 months, the world’s “experts” know very little, report inaccurate or misleading information, contradict one another on seemingly basic “science“ and report no real progress in the fight vs the virus. 

None of this is surprising as the flu 

(all corona virus infections) are almost unbeatable by modern meds.

The good news, although never reported as such, is this bug rarely kills the patient (1 / 200).   Infection #s climbing exponentially while deaths flattening says the spread has continued unabated.  The mitigation (social distancing, masks, shutdowns, etc) did not work to stop it - only prolong the economic and social pain and suffering.  Quarantine works well if seriously imposed.  The experts refused and the result is pandemic.   The flu is a fact of life, no matter what they call it, life must go on.  Lets get back to living it.  

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 3

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Seems like it worked pretty well until everyone stopped doing those things

Case counts are going up because the virus continues to spread and never stopped spreading.   testing continues to increase as fast as the new cases increase.   the shutdown of parts of the economy may have slowed the spread temporarily but only for maybe 30-45 days.  

It is everywhere already.  

All the horses have long since left the barn so keeping the door closed (or shutting it again), wont do any good. 

At this point herd immunity has to be the goal and before the next flu season hits this fall when the two combine to increase death rates for both.  The symptoms are so similar as well.  Hospitals will be hit with patients who then are very sick from both at same time.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Seems like it worked pretty well until everyone stopped doing those things

People liked their freedom (whatever that means?) more than wearing a mask, so we're spiking again while other nations are returning to relatively normal lives.

All these "freedom" lovers are going to cost us college football.

Wear a mask!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

People liked their freedom (whatever that means?) more than wearing a mask, so we're spiking again while other nations are returning to relatively normal lives.

All these "freedom" lovers are going to cost us college football.

Wear a mask!

wearing a mask is not the problem nor the solution.  But it makes some people feel better because they are doing something and gives them a false sense of safety.  The “experts” say it reduces the probability of infection by about 2%.   Even the Great Fauci said masks are almost useless.  But if it makes people feel better, fine.  Very little downside to them.  I am all for masks if the result is we start living again.  Open things up and treat those who do get sick. Its not a matter of if everyone gets it, just when.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

wearing a mask is not the problem nor the solution.  But it makes some people feel better because they are doing something and gives them a false sense of safety.  The “experts” say it reduces the probability of infection by about 2%.   Even the Great Fauci said masks are almost useless.  But if it makes people feel better, fine.  Very little downside to them.  I am all for masks if the result is we start living again.  Open things up and treat those who do get sick. Its not a matter of if everyone gets it, just when.  

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What evidence do we have that wearing a mask is effective in preventing COVID-19?

There are several strands of evidence supporting the efficacy of masks.

One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols.

But the strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. “The most important thing are the epidemiologic data,” said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called “experiments of nature.”

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Another study looked at coronavirus deaths across 198 countries and found that those with cultural norms or government policies favoring mask-wearing had lower death rates.

Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.

You want football this Fall?  Wear a mask.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You want football this Fall?  Wear a mask.

so many people involved with a football team.......i don't see how any team can go through a season without multiple cases/infections.

i have no answer, only i think the players are going to sit this one out. too much risk of them contracting the disease and passing it on to their families.  if the fall season (only 3 months away)sees an uptick, that will shut things down.

also player demands and social unhappiness likely to fuel even more issues.....chaos. no time to coach or game plan when distractions are coming at you at 100 mph.

• Haha 1

I am with you 84HUSKERLAW. Knapplec are you one of those guys that wants to pull the bandaid off slowly?  This is here to stay as part of our life for at least the next few years and likely longer.  Other countries have done a better job of slowing it down.  However, unless it is eradicated, they will all get it and we will be in a much better place here since the majority of our population will have some resistance to future outbreaks.  I would rather fight the fight now for a few months than watch it ruin our economy and society for the next 5 years.    

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Knapplec are you one of those guys that wants to pull the bandaid off slowly? 

Do you think the European Union has pulled the bandaid off slowly, Halltip?  Because they're getting back to normal life while we're going backwards. 

Difference is, they didn't politicize this, they listened to their experts, they had broad national plans in place and they're going to have sports and low deaths as a result. 

And they're not going to have American tourists, at least not until we get this under control.

America has 25% of all known worldwide deaths to this disease. Maybe we should stop presuming we know everything and learn from the rest of the world.

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You are correct about opening things back up.  Herd immunity is the only way to get past this although its probably never going away completely.  Maybe if there is an effective vaccine, but those generally take years to develop.  Things look bad in Arizona, Texas, Florida right now but the reality is they are closer to herd immunity than most and doing it at a time when the weather is less favorable for a virus.  I do think masks help some although i wear them more as a courtesy to others and because here IL we are still required to wear them in public.  When we are no longer required to wear them I wont wear one.