Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.  

There was/is absolutely mass fear.

Other nations don't have the same media coverage that we do.  In reality, we have no idea how Covid-19 is progressing around the world.

Covid-19 is similar to the flu albeit more severe.  The main difference is nobody had any resistance to it when it showed up.  As we as a society start to develop some resistance, this will become less and less deadly to our people.

I think there will be football (NFL & College) come Sept, although I suspect with much smaller crowds that are 'practicing social distancing' in the stands.   I'm pretty confident about that.

To me the more interesting question is this:  Do you think there will be full crowds, NFL and college, in 2021?  I say absolutely yes with almost 100% certainty.

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So where does wearing a mask stop for those of you who believe in it?  Do you propose we wear one until the virus is gone?  Until we get a "vaccine" that may never be developed?  

That's exactly what we suggest. If 80%+ of people wore a mask like they do in Asia and Europe the R naught of the virus likely drops below 1 meaning it will no longer spread as effectively and eventually die down. Pair that with testing and tracing and we can keep thousands from dying.

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Wearing a mask is something I would be willing to do IF there was an end in sight.

The experts are very confident we have a vaccine by early 2021 that is at least somewhat effective. If we wear a mask to slow the spread for another 6 freaking  months then we likely have a vaccine and this all slows down long term and the vaccine likely reduces deaths even further.

9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It will slow it down, maybe.

And how is that bad? You wear a mask which is asking very little considering we shut down our entire country and it slows it down until we get more treatments and vaccines. Even if the vaccines fail, there is a high liklihood who have really effective antibody treatments in the next two months.

10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have never been a fan of slowing down the inevitable- lets get this crap over with

Texas is already reporting full hospitals and ICUs as is Arizona and Florida is approaching it quickly. That will happen across the country if we "get this crap over with" and thousands will die unnecessarily because doctors have to decide who to save.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Other nations don't have the same media coverage that we do.  In reality, we have no idea how Covid-19 is progressing around the world.

Covid-19 is similar to the flu albeit more severe.  The main difference is nobody had any resistance to it when it showed up.  As we as a society start to develop some resistance, this will become less and less deadly to our people.

Other than you're non-educated opinion on the spread of viruses; and thinking mask wearing won't reduce cases/deaths/hospitalizations from Covid. Any other reason you won't wear a thin laying over your mouth and nose when your out in about? Do you hate your neighbors? Old man Johnson next door have tree limb over your yard, maybe little covid will teach him a lesson. Look, maybe you want to sacrifice a couple thousand people to have football this year, but maybe those people don't want to sacrifice themselves. Wear a mask.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Wrong, they knew about it by the end of January for sure.

Wrong, dozens of other countries used quarantines/shutdowns to stop the spread and curtain the infection. China, Japan, South Korea, most of the EU, Australia, New Zealand. They are now reopening without increased infection.

1 and 2 worked in dozens of other countries. They have found existing medicines that help reduce mortality we just didn't slow the spread to have enough of them to use. They are already concerned we'll run out of Remdisivir. Experts warned from the beginning not to rely on warm weather slowing the spread and it hasn't, they just hoped it would. However, in other countries who actually slowed the spread the warm weather has helped act as a back drop and allowed them reopen more. They've proven it doesn't spread as well outdoors but there are too many cases here for that to matter. I don't even understand your third point.

They have already started estimating how many have it. Some estimates say 20-25% of New Yorkers have had. Others say for every positive test there is 10 cases not tested. That's coming from the "authorities" who you say don't want to test. They are it's just a new disease it takes time to figure this out hence why we were supposed to slow the spread.

You need to do a lot more research on this.

Oh I have read up a bunch. To random sample a few thousand people to determine a good number of people who have had it would take a few weeks, tops.  Those who have done these are immediately savaged by media and CDC etal for even daring to suggest the idea.  Estimates are between 10 (CDC a few days ago) to as high as 65 by Stanford, USC and a couple others.  This means 65 times 2.5 million = 130 million have had it without being very sick.  

This means death rate is very very small.  Thus = open up and live.  

As to masks - 90% of the masks are just home made (T shirt cloth etc) with very little efficacy vs microsopics).  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

We're to take the epidemiology advise of someone still trying to figure out the quote function???  Classic..

• Plus1 1

The Texas “full hospital” thing was due to the way the hospital system in Houston was reporting.  They’ve since corrected it to 100% of their base operational capacity, not total capacity.  Although they may get to max level at some time, but it’s worth clarifying in the time being.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

As to masks - 90% of the masks are just home made (T shirt cloth etc) with very little efficacy vs microsopics).  

Pull your shirt over your mouth and spit into it and tell me how effective it is at stopping the spit? The mask, regardless of what it is made of, is supposed to stop the saliva that you cough/sneeze/breeze out which contains the virus which is a lot larger than the virus itself.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

https://time.com/5813628/china-coronavirus-statistics-wuhan/

I don't believe it has.

And we've reached the root of the problem, you refuse to believe anything that doesn't also support your views.

I change my mind often when presented with facts and science. It's a pretty cool way to live, you should try it.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Then why has it worked in Hong Kong? Why has it worked in Europe?

He's full of s#!t. It's less effective than a surgical or n95 mask; but still filters a non-zero % of droplets (I've seen even as high as north of 50% in studies). It also disrupts flow, so when you cough, sneeze or talk, droplets don't fly 60 f#&%ing feet across the room. 

• Plus1 5