Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

You haven't been talking about vaccines in the posts about herd immunity that I'm responding to. You've been referring to herd immunity as, let everyone get it and build up their immune system. That's not known to be a real thing. 

Agreed, but from a scientific approach, getting a vaccine or catching Covid-19 will accomplish the same.  The end result is a person with antibodies.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Because there hasn't been enough research done on people who have had covid-19 yet.

So there is nothing we can infer from other viruses, including other coronaviruses, that tell us anything useful?  We have zero evidence?  
I would say that we in fact do have evidence that infection and recovery provide immunity with this class of virus. I will say that there is no real evidence that people have been infected and/or suffered symptoms multiple times. Early reports of this circumstance turned out to be false from everything I’ve seen.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Are we still doing that thing where the hundreds of thousands of peaceful protesters have not helped spike this thing?  Considering they are on top of each other, touching each other, grabbing each other.

It is still just the people that went out to an Applebees, right?

There is CHAZ

image.thumb.png.4b55bebfae3262512a5a1ac60b4b6b9c.png

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Are we still doing that thing where the hundreds of thousands of peaceful protesters have not helped spike this thing?  Considering they are on top of each other, touching each other, grabbing each other.

Lol... yep apparently.  

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Lol... yep apparently.  

No kidding...some posters seem to think if they just closed up Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday for two weeks that this would all go away.

Yet there are still thousands of people out all day everyday, touching each other, breathing on each other, touching the same non-steril stuff...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

What does that have to do with anything. Those people should wear masks too. Im not saying stop living your life. I'm saying wear a f#&%ing mask. I don't care if you're protesting, getting a colonoscopy, buying bottle rockets, throwing tomatoes at protesters, shopping for blowup dolls - wear a mask while doing it. 

• Plus1 6
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's possible that a vaccine won't work, but it's also possible a vaccine will work to trigger a sufficient immune response while getting the virus may not.

Some coronaviruses in the past have resulted in no herd immunity while others have. In particular the coronaviruses that were more severe like SARS and MERS produced strong immunity that lasted for years while less severe ones had immunity that only lasted a few months. I'll try to find the article I read that describes this.

Here's a couple articles describing what I'm talking about:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-immunity-to-covid-19-really-means/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-you-become-immune-sars-cov-2-180974532/

9 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

So there is nothing we can infer from other viruses, including other coronaviruses, that tell us anything useful?  We have zero evidence?  
I would say that we in fact do have evidence that infection and recovery provide immunity with this class of virus. I will say that there is no real evidence that people have been infected and/or suffered symptoms multiple times. Early reports of this circumstance turned out to be false from everything I’ve seen.

We can draw inferences based on historical precedence and other viruses including coronaviruses, but we don't have much if any evidence for covid-19 specifically.

Take a look at these article:

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What does that have to do with anything. Those people should wear masks too. Im not saying stop living your life. I'm saying wear a f#&%ing mask. I don't care if you're protesting, getting a colonoscopy, buying bottle rockets, throwing tomatoes at protesters, shopping for blowup dolls - wear a mask while doing it. 

Exactly!

That is the point.  Place the blame where the blame should be placed.  Don't just pick one group of morons pick ALL the groups of morons.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

If there is no herd immunity and no vaccines, then what?   Our society is already in a grips of semi-panic, fear, civil riotous turmoil, deep seated hate, etc.  Arguably the society is on the verge of a mental breakdown.  More shutdowns, business failures, unprecedented unemployment, political insanity, growing homelessness, rising violent crime (shooting, looting, arson, assaults), are not going to help matters.  

I think far too many are overlooking all of these problems while mind locked on this virus.  

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's just s#!t-stirring. Consider the source.

Please, do consider the source.  You should.  All the people that are out, breathing on each other, touching each other, not wearing masks.  All of them are the morons.  Not just the ones that think it is about "freedom", they are all a$$h@!es.  Don't be a hypocrite and just pick on one group.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Because there is no evidence. And that has to be qualified with "yet" because it may turn out that herd immunity is a thing.

The disease is too new for anyone to make conclusive statements about its effects. We know some things work, like quarantining and wearing masks.

For the record, I hope herd immunity is a thing. That would be the best-case scenario. But relying on it now when we have no idea if it's a thing is a fool's bet.

Herd immunity is a ‘thing’ unequivocally. If nothing else, it is the reason a vaccine is being created. At some point, the relative immunity level of a group of people will be the dominant factor for determining whether an individual will get sick. Not sure how people can be saying ‘wait for a vaccine’ and also ‘no evidence of herd immunity’.  Not sure what we’re doing here if we don’t have an end game. 

At this point, let’s slow the spread and wear a mask. Protect your parents. All that good stuff.