Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just a couple steps you and 84HuskerLaw need to remember.

Global health experts were well aware of the coronavirus and its dangers -- even as the Chinese government was trying to suppress news of the outbreak in the early stages. They've studied pandemics all their lives and were waving red flags throughout January and February.

But there was no mass fear in America. Quite the opposite. Both political parties underplayed it, and so did the media. 

Other nations actually do have the same media coverage, and it has been a huge story in every country. Americans didn't share the concern until March when the numbers shot up and news footage showed makeshift morgues in New York and Europe. The American media and government had nothing to do with Japan postponing the 2020 Olympics — and think about the financial loss and logistics that went into that decision. I don't think the seriousness hit home with Americans until the NBA canceled its season minutes before Rudy Gobert was about to tip-off a game. 

We also have a pretty good idea how COVID-19 is progressing around the world. It's not perfect and there remains a lot we don't know, but the experts have been more right than they've been wrong, and we can learn from what other countries have been doing. Rule #1 seems to be not to overwhelm your healthcare system just because simple precautions are inconvenient. Everyone wants to re-open and a face-mask rebellion is only going to slow things down. 

Just wait for the start of school.  #'s will sky rocket.

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think if the authorities announced today - Everybody wear a mask and its business as usual everywhere would make sense for most of us.  But thats not happening and no signs it will this year.  

Plenty of calls to return to shutdowns with no end in sight.  Many millions have lost life savings.  Now jobs are at risk of permanent loss.  Homes at risk.  etc etc.  Solutions for all these folks?   

State authorities did declare it's business as usual, and in the states where people pointedly refused to wear face-masks and crowded into bars and restaurants believing -- as you do -- that scientists and media had over-hyped this, the coronavirus got a huge surge that is now taxing local healthcare systems. 

I was willing to let it go that you misspelled "thot" twice in a recent post, but you've gotten so many other things wrong that you really need to take a break and do some honest research. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

So far they have traced zero clusters to the protests. That doesn't mean that spread hasn't occurred there it just hasn't led to clusters. They have however traced clusters to things such as indoor weddings, restaurant gathers and other indoor events. This virus doesn't spread as well outside so the protests have less likelihood of causing infection compared to sitting inside at Applebees. For example, AC may help spread it inside.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/06/air-conditioning-may-be-factor-in-covid-19-spread-in-the-south/

The moral of the story is the same though, just wear a mask and go about your life.

Plus, with the protests I saw almost everyone was wearing a mask.  I do hope the Pride event in Chicago was the same way this past weekend with the amount of people there.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is incorrect. Immunity is not a simple yes/no.

Your body's immunity to a particular pathogen declines over time. For things like the common cold, your immunity goes away after weeks or months, so it's possible to get the same virus again the following year, or the year after. Other viruses can cause an immune response that lasts years or a lifetime like chicken pox and measles. And of course the immunity varies from one person to another.

This large variance in both effectiveness and longevity is why it's very difficult to say whether covid-19 will grant herd immunity. And why there hasn't been enough time to tell whether people will stay immune for weeks, months, or years.

I was referring to the notion that you don’t gain immunity from cold/flu infections.  You will not get reinfected with the same strain immediately.

I suppose over years of life, you could get the same strain again. 

If you want football, wear a mask.

Want to prevent another shutdown, save 33,000 lives and protect yourself? Wear a face mask, doctors say

First, health officials said we shouldn't wear face masks. Then, they said we should. Now, many are saying we must wear masks if we want to keep the economy open and save tens of thousands of lives.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says everyone "should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities."

Cloth face coverings are meant to protect other people in case the wearer is unknowingly infected but does not have symptoms," the CDC said.

But the benefits go both ways. "We know now there's scientific evidence that masks both keep you from infecting others but may also partially protect you from getting infected," said Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator. "I think that's a new discovery and a new finding."
If 95% of Americans wore face masks in public, it could prevent 33,000 deaths by October 1, according to the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.

"How many fans can we put in Memorial Stadium? If we can only be half full, we're going to lose $6 million per home game."  - Bill Moos

Seven home games makes that a $35 million loss. For comparison, Frost's annual salary is $5 million.

A few thoughts on my stance. 

I am sure Masks do help. Will they stop the spread? No. But they may help. 

I think some portion of the population is burnt out on cancelling everything and being forced to do things. So the most common sense thing in my mind is open the economy everywhere and everyone wears masks. If you are out in public without a mask you get 10 lashes with some bamboo whipping sticks. It is the sacrifice to open the economy. Unfortunately every state is operating on their own agenda. You have some far loony left states that have some crazy restrictions and other people around the country get scared thinking man they better not bring that communist s#!t to my state.

I think a vaccine will work and I think herd immunity is a thing and to assume not is just a crazy tactic by those fearfully afraid of the virus. Past history says non or low threat coronavirus's typically herd immunity doesnt work. But the more virulent and dangerous coronavirus's have been herd immunity does work. So past history with these types of viruses would say herd immunity is a thing. Add to that there is no real credible examples of someone getting it twice and per the medical journal that I think Knapp posted a few pages back, if you do get it twice it is typically more mild the 2nd time. But this is not a mild coronavirus so immunity should be a thing. So instead of saying there is no evidence for immunity so we should go to the extremes on protecting ourselves doesnt make sense to me. The evidence is this coronavirus most closely resembles SARS which immunity was a thing. 

One other thing to note and it is mostly because I am too lazy to look it up. But someone was comparing us to some other countries who have had way less deaths and infections than the US. How many countries in the world have a population that even remotely compares to the US. I know China and India have way more. But you cant compare us to a country who has like 10 million residents when we have like 350 million. Before the virus even got the the US I knew we were going to get hit hard because we are like the most obese and unhealthy country in the world. So lets not overlook that as a contributing factor to our death rates. The other country that got hit hard was Italy and they have a large elderly population. It seems the elderly and obese people under 55 get hit the hardest. We have alot of fat people under 55. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

HERD IMMUNITY, HERD IMMUNITY, HERD IMMUNITY! I WANNA DO WHAT I WANT, HERD IMMUNITY. 

This isn't directed at any single individual, and I wish no ill will on anyone. However, for folks that truly believe herd immunity to Coronavirus is the answer, why are they not out doing their part as suredly as those of us who believe the doctor recommended mask and social distancing are? Why aren't they walking into the ICU, purposefully getting infected, so that when they survive, their antibodies can be a key part in achieving HERD IMMUNITY. I mean for cripes sakes, if they truly believe this is the solution, GET IT DONE! Then if herd immunity doesn't save us, Darwin might.

I'll tell you why they aren't doing it. It is because the people claiming HERD IMMUNITY is the solution, do not believe they will be the ones making the ultimate sacrifice. They feel as though they are isolated and safe, and will benefit from the death of others as HERD IMMUNITY is achieved, rather than contribute to those deaths. In their eyes, their own FREEDOM, to not wear a mask or be inconvenienced in any way Trumps the deaths that will occur should this course of action be followed. And since they feel as though themselves and their loved ones are safe and isolated from the potential effects, they will make none of the sacrifices. 

This is not the mindset that made America great, this is not the mindset that won the world wars, unfortunately, this is what half of the country has devolved into. What's good for me, is good for me, if it's bad for you, well, sucks to be you. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

State authorities did declare it's business as usual, and in the states where people pointedly refused to wear face-masks and crowded into bars and restaurants believing -- as you do -- that scientists and media had over-hyped this, the coronavirus got a huge surge that is now taxing local healthcare systems. 

I was willing to let it go that you misspelled "thot" twice in a recent post, but you've gotten so many other things wrong that you really need to take a break and do some honest research. 

I spell thot that way because its shorter.  lol

I dare say I have researched aplenty.   The problem is much of the reported research fails to answer the vital questions. And the data is all over the spectrum on both sides of the points and little is useful.  

Death counts are dubious. Total “case” numbers are hopefully reasonably close to positive diagnosed persons but are used to indicate the number of infections. 

Not likely close at all.  

How many hospitalizations have there been?   Not reported apparently.    True death rate - unknown but much lower than reported.  

True origin date or source of the virus?   Unknown though many suspect a lab in China.  Probably first illness from the virus Oct - nov  2019.  

Safe businesses - Walmart, chain grocers and C stores, govt agencies, contractors small & large, police and fire, a few medical facilities.  some others as well.  Fast food chains.

Too deadly to be open - bars, restaurants, myriad other mom&pops, schools, churches,  beaches, parks, etc etc etc. 

All these closings were surely based on well established science.  Or maybe not.  

Fauci science of masks, worn by medicals for many decades, no benefit for a time and magically now they are great.  Why believe anything else he says when other Drs with equal credentials say the opposite.   

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Google:  Urban Dictionary "thot"

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Fauci science of masks, worn by medicals for many decades, no benefit for a time and magically now they are great.  Why believe anything else he says when other Drs with equal credentials say the opposite.   

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I dare say I have researched aplenty.   The problem is much of the reported research fails to answer the vital questions. And the data is all over the spectrum on both sides of the points and little is useful.  

Death counts are dubious. Total “case” numbers are hopefully reasonably close to positive diagnosed persons but are used to indicate the number of infections. 

Not likely close at all.  

How many hospitalizations have there been?   Not reported apparently.    True death rate - unknown but much lower than reported.  

True origin date or source of the virus?   Unknown though many suspect a lab in China.  Probably first illness from the virus Oct - nov  2019.  

Safe businesses - Walmart, chain grocers and C stores, govt agencies, contractors small & large, police and fire, a few medical facilities.  some others as well.  Fast food chains.

Too deadly to be open - bars, restaurants, myriad other mom&pops, schools, churches,  beaches, parks, etc etc etc. 

All these closings were surely based on well established science.  Or maybe not.  

So if any of us provided -- yet again -- multiple sources that contradict your anecdotal gut feeling, you'll just ignore it again, right?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So if any of us provided -- yet again -- multiple sources that contradict your anecdotal gut feeling, you'll just ignore it again, right?

None of these are gut feelings.  They are simple logic based on numbers widely reported.  Thot is sometimes used as a form of thought btw per my quick dictionary check.  I believe most readers know I wasnt referring to a prostitute by context.  lol. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 2
9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not likely close at all.  

You are saying and asking the same things that many are asking and saying.  It is easy to talk down to people who are asking and saying these things.  The problem is when this got politicized it is hard to find true answers.  The info seems to be a moving target for those of us that ask these questions.  I ask questions because we are trying to open schools in August.  Cleaning and Disinfecting questions are all over the place.  I have a guy telling me air scrubbers work, I can find plenty of info that they don't.  

Crazy times we live in.

• Plus1 1