Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

My numbers come from the NY times daily updares.  The multiples are as I said from CDC, Stanford USC, Johns Hopkins, etal.  

It is just not debatable that many people get the virus and have few or any symptoms and dont ever get tested or counted.  Far more than do.   None of these millions and millions are being included in any reported news stories, nor in the death rates.  People are being misled badly about risks.  Period. 

These are facts.  They compare to other flus etc., statistically.  But you will never get these from most media outlets.  why?   Please explain.  Then I am done on this never ending back n forth.  We will agree to disagree no doubt forever.  

Numbers are numbers. Facts require some extrapolation. Intelligent answers are easily accessible if you ask the right questions. People who understand epidemiology, public health, statistics and risk assessment far better than you and I take the same numbers you have and come to several different conclusions. 

I'll stand by my previous posts, all of which admit we still have a lot to learn, including how the facts should influence public policy.  I myself made a snarky Facebook post in February comparing the COVID threat to the common flu. Then I found out the differences were indeed substantial, according to the experts, and the evidence continues to be played out daily. The media has reported everything you claim they haven't reported, and several people here have linked you to the articles. 

When you say "you will never get these (facts) from most media outlets. why?" you tip your hand to a partisan conspiracy theory. You don't want to spell it out here in public, but that's clearly where you head is at. Meaning you're right: we will disagree forever. 

• Plus1 4

So, this is Arizona. Home of two of the 14 PAC-12 teams. Are ADs from Washington State, Oregon, Colorado, etc. going to want to send their players to Arizona if cases continue to go up like this?

And if Arizona and Arizona State have to drop out of the schedule this year, what happens to the rest of the conference? Shuffle the schedule?

How many more states are in this predicament? And what's their college football landscape like? 

How many teams can opt out of the season before there isn't a season?

Wear a mask if you want to watch football this year!

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

Some good news. Not about college athletics or Husker football. But I just watched a clip of Rand Paul and Dr. Fauci discussing kids going back to school. It appears from studying the rest of the world there is pretty much no risk in youth going back to school. The rest of the world has shown no impact or uptick since they all restarted school. Actually all their cases have continued to go down- they are now saying they dont think children are transmitting the disease to others. So Fauci appears to agree with the pediatric experts who are now saying children all need to go back to school.

• Fire 1
23 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

someone was comparing us to some other countries who have had way less deaths and infections than the US. How many countries in the world have a population that even remotely compares to the US.

Deaths/infections per capita my dude. That means that the numbers are adjusted to control for population size. 

16 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Are they testing at the same rate we are? Positive tests if we are testing at a much higher rate doesn’t say much other than we are executing more tests. Does that mean we actually are doing worse at containing it? Or is it possible they are just testing less 

You know our President has been trying for months to get us to test less, right? Also that our testing numbers per capita have caught up a good amount but spent way too much time wayyyyyy behind.

In March the US had ONE corona virus test per every 1,000,000 people. South Korea had 2,000 tests per every 1m. Italy had 386. Switzerland 214, UK 199, etc. We had one.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So, this is Arizona. Home of two of the 14 PAC-12 teams. Are ADs from Washington State, Oregon, Colorado, etc. going to want to send their players to Arizona if cases continue to go up like this?

And if Arizona and Arizona State have to drop out of the schedule this year, what happens to the rest of the conference? Shuffle the schedule?

How many more states are in this predicament? And what's their college football landscape like? 

How many teams can opt out of the season before there isn't a season?

Wear a mask if you want to watch football this year!

Negative.  We can count in the Pac 12. :lol:  You're right about everything else.  I just watched a doctor in Arizona state they are completely overwhelmed and don't have enough resources to cope anytime soon.  

• Plus1 1

If we won’t have a vaccine this fall, and masks are not going to stop the spread. Slow it maybe. Then I fail to see why people are associating football with masks in July. Players will not be wearing masks when they workout, practice and play games. So all the problems that have been discussed endlessly when it spreads on a team will still need solved. Don’t get me wrong I have no problem wearing a mask in the right application. But I fail to see how it results in college football. It just sounds like the next tool to shame people to do as they want. This thing is spreading and it will continue to spread till it’s done. All the countries some of you are so impressed with will get hit again and have spikes. Remember how proud China was, bragging how they stopped it. Then a few weeks later it popped up again. Sometimes you gotta realize your not in control and you can’t control the situation. Maybe temporarily adjust the path but not stop the end result. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Another interesting tidbit to add to the testing numbers debate. I heard something interesting yesterday. A family friend out in Washington went to the hospital with an injury. Got treated and went home. They called him later and said you tested positive for covid, his response was I was never tested, so the hospital said would you like to be tested. WTF guys. This is a mess and how accurate are some of these testing numbers 

• Fire 1
56 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I fail to see why people are associating football with masks in July. Players will not be wearing masks when they workout, practice and play games.

People fail to see how masks would help because they're using bad information. If we had worn masks in March, April, and May like we were supposed to, we wouldn't have the vast community spread like we do now. Players could more safely (not "safely," but more safely) gather to work out without risking getting the disease. We stopped quarantining and most importantly stopped wearing masks (or never did in the first place) and now here we are today with that curve going sharply up and Fauci predicting we could have 100,000 new cases per day.

We won't have football this Fall because too many people have resisted wearing masks for... reasons. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1