Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If we won’t have a vaccine this fall, and masks are not going to stop the spread. Slow it maybe. Then I fail to see why people are associating football with masks in July. Players will not be wearing masks when they workout, practice and play games. So all the problems that have been discussed endlessly when it spreads on a team will still need solved. Don’t get me wrong I have no problem wearing a mask in the right application. But I fail to see how it results in college football. It just sounds like the next tool to shame people to do as they want. This thing is spreading and it will continue to spread till it’s done. All the countries some of you are so impressed with will get hit again and have spikes. Remember how proud China was, bragging how they stopped it. Then a few weeks later it popped up again. Sometimes you gotta realize your not in control and you can’t control the situation. Maybe temporarily adjust the path but not stop the end result. 

Yep...and people take them off to take a drink or eat something.  There is not going to be football this fall.  It sucks.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not that clear cut, and that is not hard to figure out either. If we wear masks and it seems under control so we allow full stadiums or people in stadiums and tailgating and outbreaks start again. No football? Teams start getting mass infections because they were sheltered for 6 months leading up to season. No football? My point is simply I don’t see how wearing a mask now provides a solution to those questions I have seen discussed for 30 pages on this thread. It doesn’t matter if it’s in control in August- that just means football may start and get what 2-3 weeks 

It is that clear, for anyone open to seeing and understanding it. And having it under reasonable control does not necessarily lead to full stadiums and life as normal. But it would allow for the chance at games being played. It's not just an issue of transmission between players/teams. If that were the only issue, I believe the powers that be would figure out ways to isolate the infected and still continue to let the games be played. It's not that extremely dangerous for young healthy people so they would figure out a way around it. BUT if the numbers are out of control all over the place, then the prevailing sentiment will be to keep things locked down further and longer. So, like I said, the pandemic does not have to be over or of absolutely no threat for football to be played. Unfortunately our response as a country to this ordeal has not been such as to make that likely. It is pretty much out of control due to widespread lack of mask wearing. And yes, it may be too late now to do anything about it. We wasted the opportunities of March, April, May and June. And, even with all the evidence and data, it appears still too many are willing to squander July, August......

Wear a damn mask and quit spouting nonsense about the lack of good it does. If people had been doing that the last 4 months, football would've been assured.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

It is that clear, for anyone open to seeing and understanding it. And having it under reasonable control does not necessarily lead to full stadiums and life as normal. But it would allow for the chance at games being played. It's not just an issue of transmission between players/teams. If that were the only issue, I believe the powers that be would figure out ways to isolate the infected and still continue to let the games be played. It's not that extremely dangerous for young healthy people so they would figure out a way around it. BUT if the numbers are out of control all over the place, then the prevailing sentiment will be to keep things locked down further and longer. So, like I said, the pandemic does not have to be over or of absolutely no threat for football to be played. Unfortunately our response as a country to this ordeal has not been such as to make that likely. It is pretty much out of control due to widespread lack of mask wearing. And yes, it may be too late now to do anything about it. We wasted the opportunities of March, April, May and June. And, even with all the evidence and data, it appears still too many are willing to squander July, August......

Wear a damn mask and quit spouting nonsense about the lack of good it does. If people had been doing that the last 4 months, football would've been assured.

I think it is too late, sadly.  I see 100 students every day that don't have to wear masks during workouts.  If that is just what I see just imagine how many more are out there.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think it is too late, sadly.  I see 100 students every day that don't have to wear masks during workouts.  If that is just what I see just imagine how many more are out there.

Yeah, I think it's too late, at least to get in a full fall season. They may start and then have to abandon it or it may never start at all. And, if people keep ignoring the evidence and questioning the good of masks, basketball, hockey etc. will be in the cross hairs once again. Too many slow blinkers around.

I'm friends with a few non athlete Nebraska students who have recently tested positive for it.  One had pink eye and no symptoms- apparently that is now a symptom?  Another had a mild head ache for a couple days and then nothing.  The third was tested out of caution and has had zero symptoms.  According to their doctors, this is the norm with kids their age.  It just doesn't have much impact on that age class.  If it equates to mild to no symptoms for college age athletes, why can't they play a game?  As SF said, they have just as good, if not a better, chance of catching this if they don't play.       

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

No, I'm asking where you're getting your information from. Where do these beliefs that you're sharing about masks come from?

Hell there is a lot of different facts and opinions talked about in the last how ever many pages. I am not going to try to google and find all the articles I read. I pull up MSN and scroll through their top 50 articles or whatever it is and read anything of interest. Where do you get your data. If you want to waste your time feel free.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Hell there is a lot of different facts and opinions talked about in the last how ever many pages. I am not going to try to google and find all the articles I read. I pull up MSN and scroll through their top 50 articles or whatever it is and read anything of interest. Where do you get your data. If you want to waste your time feel free.

It's just super strange that I only hear anti-mask rhetoric from one kind of source, and I thought maybe that's where this was coming from. But clearly not, and clearly this is a well-researched, reasoned response that just happens to go against the practices that have worked throughout the rest of the world that's recovering from this disease while we spiral downward.

But hey, carpe diem, right? I'm sure not wearing masks will help no matter what the "experts" say and I'm sure we'll have a football season and this anti-mask stuff won't turn out to bite us in the end. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I think it's too late, at least to get in a full fall season. They may start and then have to abandon it or it may never start at all. And, if people keep ignoring the evidence and questioning the good of masks, basketball, hockey etc. will be in the cross hairs once again. Too many slow blinkers around.

I think they started. And then I think they shut it down. Yeah

43 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm friends with a few non athlete Nebraska students who have recently tested positive for it.  One had pink eye and no symptoms- apparently that is now a symptom?  Another had a mild head ache for a couple days and then nothing.  The third was tested out of caution and has had zero symptoms.  According to their doctors, this is the norm with kids their age.  It just doesn't have much impact on that age class.  If it equates to mild to no symptoms for college age athletes, why can't they play a game?  As SF said, they have just as good, if not a better, chance of catching this if they don't play.       

The data out of Colorado shows that ages 10-19 are being hospitalized at 4% rate (1 in 25) and ages 20-29 at 5% rate (1 in 20). Getting hospitalized is pretty severe symptoms.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Hind sight when this thing is over is the only thing that will determine what we should have done. Many people have different opinions- you believe yours is right. As most people do- they believe that what they believe is the real truth. The real truth is no one knows what the hell they are talking about.

If Herd Immunity turns out to be a real thing- which it is in most cases of viruses and it was with the most closely related virus SARS. So history being a good predictor Covid will fall into the category of Herd Immunity being a real thing. I dont know where the narrative of it might not work for COVID comes in. Show me some evidence why we should throw out past history. Other than it supports a culture of fear and being able to say you better do as I tell you because herd immunity might not save us. 

I am just not a fan of absolute claims. Maybe change the narrative to wearing a mask gives us a better chance to play football. But what I see is, wear a mask and you get football. s#!t no one knows that. Bulls#!t claim.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Other than it supports a culture of fear and being able to say you better do as I tell you because herd immunity might not save us. 

What the heck even is this kind of thinking? Who wants to create a culture of fear?  Why can't we just wear masks because it's the prudent thing to do and it's working throughout the rest of the world?

These wild claims and insinuations of motivation just confuse people. The evidence on masks is clear. It's been posted in this thread many times. Pretending that isn't reality and that mask-wearers are just fear-mongering is crazy - especially from a person who claims to wear a mask.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am just not a fan of absolute claims. Maybe change the narrative to wearing a mask gives us a better chance to play football. But what I see is, wear a mask and you get football. s#!t no one knows that. Bulls#!t claim.

The hangup on the mask issue is that people aren't being nice enough about it? LOL

:lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If Herd Immunity turns out to be a real thing- which it is in most cases of viruses and it was with the most closely related virus SARS. So history being a good predictor Covid will fall into the category of Herd Immunity being a real thing.

Well, there's 4 coronaviruses that are part of what we call the "common cold", and people don't build up herd immunity to those versions of coronavirus. So there's also historical evidence herd immunity may be insufficient.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Hind sight when this thing is over is the only thing that will determine what we should have done. Many people have different opinions- you believe yours is right. As most people do- they believe that what they believe is the real truth. The real truth is no one knows what the hell they are talking about.

Airline Pilots have their opinion on how to fly planes, but me sitting in coach; I do too, the truth is, neither the pilot or myself know how to fly the plane. 

Doctor has an opinion on how he wants to treat my cancer, but me, I do too, the truth is, neither the doctor of myself know how to treat cancer.

Coach Frost has an opinion on how how he wants to run the spread offense, but me, I do too, the truth is, neither Scott Frost or myself know how to run the Spread Offense.

Rocket scientists have an opinion on how to get a rocket to the moon, but me, I do too, the truth is, neither a rocket scientist or myself know how to get a rocket to the moon.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1