Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Just now, teachercd said:

The more I think about it...there is just no way,  if you tailgate and attend a game.  Your mask is coming off at least 100 times during the 8 hours you are in Lincoln.  

Here is my question. Can anyone answer this. What is the actual goal at this point with the virus?  First it was keep hospitals from getting overloaded, we dont have enough ventilators- do your part. Then somehow it turned into stop the spread completely. 

If hospitals are not overloaded, death rates are going down compared to infection numbers. So if masses of people are getting infected but hospitals are not overloaded and deaths are occuring at a low rate. What is the goal? Do we want to go back to shutting down the economy, have more people lose jobs to protect a small percentage of the population of the elderly and immune compromised from serious complications or death? Or is the smart path to protect the small percentage and find a way to resume life for the other 95% of the population? 

I dont have the answers- I dont claim to be all knowing. I am asking common sense questions. Fear in the masses can cause hysteria and people to act irrationally.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have seen the experts recently saying transmitting the virus outside is much more unlikely. That was one of the defenses of the riots. But then all of a sudden the people at beaches were to blame. I’m just saying I dont trust much of what I hear these days. 

Also when the data changes and opinions change every few days or every week. It’s hard to call someone an expert. Rather someone who has experience studying viruses but no one is an expert on coronavirus covid 19. That’s pretty obvious 

People at protests were wearing masks. 

People at the beach were not. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What the heck even is this kind of thinking? Who wants to create a culture of fear?  Why can't we just wear masks because it's the prudent thing to do and it's working throughout the rest of the world?

These wild claims and insinuations of motivation just confuse people. The evidence on masks is clear. It's been posted in this thread many times. Pretending that isn't reality and that mask-wearers are just fear-mongering is crazy - especially from a person who claims to wear a mask.

The hangup on the mask issue is that people aren't being nice enough about it? LOL

:lol:

Culture of fear and manipulation. You dont read or watch the news much do you. Name the last time you saw anything positive that created something uplifting for folks? Would love to read it.

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Well, there's 4 coronaviruses that are part of what we call the "common cold", and people don't build up herd immunity to those versions of coronavirus. So there's also historical evidence herd immunity may be insufficient.

That's half the information. The low risk- less dangerous coronaviruses have not had herd immunity. The more dangerous and virulent versions of coronavirus have had herd immunity. So if you remove selective history and look at all the facts it makes more sense Covid relates to the more dangerous and virulent versions.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

f hospitals are not overloaded, death rates are going down compared to infection numbers. So if masses of people are getting infected but hospitals are not overloaded and deaths are occuring at a low rate. What is the goal?

Hospitals in Florida, Texas, Arizona and California are getting overwhelmed. Hospital staff is warning the community they're low on resources and beds. That is the goal, don't overload the hospitals. If hospitals are low on resources, more restrictions will be placed on states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, California. That includes no students on campus. You think if Florida, Texas, Arizona and California don't have football - there will be a football season?

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If we won’t have a vaccine this fall, and masks are not going to stop the spread. Slow it maybe. Then I fail to see why people are associating football with masks in July. Players will not be wearing masks when they workout, practice and play games. So all the problems that have been discussed endlessly when it spreads on a team will still need solved. Don’t get me wrong I have no problem wearing a mask in the right application. But I fail to see how it results in college football. It just sounds like the next tool to shame people to do as they want. This thing is spreading and it will continue to spread till it’s done. All the countries some of you are so impressed with will get hit again and have spikes. Remember how proud China was, bragging how they stopped it. Then a few weeks later it popped up again. Sometimes you gotta realize your not in control and you can’t control the situation. Maybe temporarily adjust the path but not stop the end result. 

Nobody trusts what China is saying. 

I think adjusting the path is all that anyone has recommended or expected. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Culture of fear and manipulation. You dont read or watch the news much do you. Name the last time you saw anything positive that created something uplifting for folks? Would love to read it.

I'm quite well read on the news. I know, for example, that a certain segment of the population is intent on making people think "they" are creating panic and fear, but I've seen zero evidence that people really are panicking. 

Give us an example of the "culture of fear and manipulation" you're watching on the news. Link an article where they're trying to create false fear.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hospitals in Florida, Texas, Arizona and California are getting overwhelmed. Hospital staff is warning the community they're low on resources and beds. That is the goal, don't overload the hospitals. If hospitals are low on resources, more restrictions will be placed on states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, California. That includes no students on campus. You think if Florida, Texas, Arizona and California don't have football - there will be a football season?

So they are going to cancel the entire season for all states because 4 states cant participate? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I'm quite well read on the news. I know, for example, that a certain segment of the population is intent on making people think "they" are creating panic and fear, but I've seen zero evidence that people really are panicking. 

Give us an example of the "culture of fear and manipulation" you're watching on the news. Link an article where they're trying to create false fear.

As soon as you link something positive. Uplifting as I requested. 

Zero evidence? Do you not remember not being able to buy toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. Because people were hoarding materials. 

Im sorry there is basically no point in discussing further if you dont think there are political aspects to this. Now dont go off the deep end and say oh you are a conspiracy guy. I am not. I know the virus is real. It is killing people. But come on. Depending what media outlet you follow you will get extremes. The left makes it sound worse and the right makes it sound better. The truth is in the middle. So please dont act like the media gives a fair portrayal of what the truth is.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Here is my question. Can anyone answer this. What is the actual goal at this point with the virus?  First it was keep hospitals from getting overloaded, we dont have enough ventilators- do your part. Then somehow it turned into stop the spread completely. 

If hospitals are not overloaded, death rates are going down compared to infection numbers. So if masses of people are getting infected but hospitals are not overloaded and deaths are occuring at a low rate. What is the goal? Do we want to go back to shutting down the economy, have more people lose jobs to protect a small percentage of the population of the elderly and immune compromised from serious complications or death? Or is the smart path to protect the small percentage and find a way to resume life for the other 95% of the population? 

I dont have the answers- I dont claim to be all knowing. I am asking common sense questions. Fear in the masses can cause hysteria and people to act irrationally.

I don’t know.  But I will take some more free cash!  Ha

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Hospitals in Arizona, Florida, and Texas are starting to hit ICU and bed capacities and are pushing into surge capacity already with no signs of the spread slowing. Deaths lag cases by about two weeks so, we'll likely see the death rate start to tick up over the next weeks. It already has in those three worst hit states. Hopefully it won't go up as much as it did at first because we have better treatment and medicines now, but there is concerns about the amount of medications already. The CDC warned today that testing capacity is starting to be stretched.

The goal was to protect the healthcare system and buy time to learn more about the virus and treatment options. Then once you slow the spread keep common sense protection in place like protecting the vulnerable, contact tracing and wearing masks. That's what every other developed country did and continues to do successfully. Flatten the curve, protect the vulnerable, contact trace, wear a mask and go about your life. That's why they have sports in Europe and are continuing to open.

I never saw a single expert say stop the spread completely. In fact, most said as we reopen yes spread will continue and may increase, but if we wear masks, test/contact trace and socially distance the spread won't get out of hand and we can go on about our lives with minor inconveniences.

Instead, everyone decided the hell with it and disregarded all reopening guidelines and now things are spreading so quickly it's impossible to contact trace, testing capacity is running out, hospitals are filling up and we are running out of time to stop it without drastic measures again. You're already seeing businesses close on their own, governments close them and people saying the heck with it and staying home. Gasoline usage dropped 4% week over week as people make their own decisions to stay home.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So they are going to cancel the entire season for all states because 4 states cant participate? 

WTF kinda football season would take place without; Florida, FSU, Miami, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas AM, TCU, USC, Cal, Arizona, Arizona St, Stanford, UCLA, UCF, USF, Rice, Texas St, Fresno St, San Jose St, San Diego St, FIU, FAU? and that's not to mention every other team looking over their shoulder praying their state doesn't reach hospital capacities and needing to shut it down.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Hospitals in Arizona, Florida, and Texas are starting to hit ICU and bed capacities and are pushing into surge capacity already with no signs of the spread slowing. Deaths lag cases by about two weeks so, we'll likely see the death rate start to tick up over the next weeks. It already has in those three worst hit states. Hopefully it won't go up as much as it did at first because we have better treatment and medicines now, but there is concerns about the amount of medications already. The CDC warned today that testing capacity is starting to be stretched.

The goal was to protect the healthcare system and buy time to learn more about the virus and treatment options. Then once you slow the spread keep common sense protection in place like protecting the vulnerable, contact tracing and wearing masks. That's what every other developed country did and continues to do successfully. Flatten the curve, protect the vulnerable, contact trace, wear a mask and go about your life. That's why they have sports in Europe and are continuing to open.

I never saw a single expert say stop the spread completely. In fact, most said as we reopen yes spread will continue and may increase, but if we wear masks, test/contact trace and socially distance the spread won't get out of hand and we can go on about our lives with minor inconveniences.

Instead, everyone decided the hell with it and disregarded all reopening guidelines and now things are spreading so quickly it's impossible to contact trace, testing capacity is running out, hospitals are filling up and we are running out of time to stop it without drastic measures again. You're already seeing businesses close on their own, governments close them and people saying the heck with it and staying home. Gasoline usage dropped 4% week over week as people make their own decisions to stay home.

Yes I liked your post. That was a well thought out response that makes sense. I have no problem acknowledging things that make sense. This who tangent started because I said I dont understand how masks will help have football in the fall once it starts to spread in a team. Then everyone got on my a$$ that I am anti mask. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

WTF kinda football season would take place without; Florida, FSU, Miami, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas AM, TCU, USC, Cal, Arizona, Arizona St, Stanford, UCLA, UCF, USF, Rice, Texas St, Fresno St, San Jose St, San Diego St, FIU, FAU? and that's not to mention every other team looking over their shoulder praying their state doesn't reach hospital capacities and needing to shut it down.

What kind? The kind that still has Nebraska. 

• Thanks 4