Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not going to read them all. But this is great evidence to support we will have a football season. Lets hold a protest at memorial stadium every saturday.

So you agree that we should be wearing masks? Great, welcome to the club. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not going to read them all. But this is great evidence to support we will have a football season. Lets hold a protest at memorial stadium every saturday.

Yeah no kidding!

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

So you agree that we should be wearing masks? 

Yes.

Also, the very first picture on the Chi-Trib link is two protesters not wearing masks.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

Frost makes a really good pint regarding Covid and football.  To paraphrase, we need to change our mindset about sports and Covid.  Covid is here regardless if we play football or not.  We can keep the athletes as a safe as possible, but they will still attend school, attend parties, embark on "life" etc....There's no way to live in a bubble.  To say that testing will prevent an athlete from getting covid is dishonest....He makes some valid points....All of it in the link below.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-if-college-football-is-to-be-played-frost-believes-change-of-mindset/article_197ed922-d7a1-58f1-8236-720586b89919.amp.html

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

39 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The problem with the media is there are too many personal opinions pieces. I cant believe some of these media outlets have gone that route- it puts someone's opinion and ties it next to their name. All it does is lose viewership from the other side. Wouldnt it make sense to have an unbiased network. Holy s#!t you would control all the united states viewership not just half of it.

This is an excellent point. I blame 24/7 cable news. That is too many hours of airtime to fill, and genuine investigative reporting is expensive. Then Fox News figured out that the news could just be a never-ending Reality Television series, with heroes and villains but not so much actual journalism. That made them a lot of money, so MSNBC and CNN followed the formula. Every story starts with an agenda.

In some cases there are straight up facts, backed by compelling research, but a lot of folks don't like that, either. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mean is that a season? No title would be credible. But I agree we could have a series of scrimmages with say Iowa, ISU, Kansas, K-State, Missouri. But if portions of the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 are unable to play - the season would have no value. 

For the last 20 years has our seasons had any value of national relevance? Are any of those teams you listed a legit title contender this year? If not then they have little bearing on the playoff anyway.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Right, so they are both groups of morons.  It is okay to admit that.

This is true.

Although I would adjust slightly for groups of people gathering for social justice and mostly wearing facemasks, and groups of people at bars, beaches and parties protesting facemasks themselves. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is true.

Although I would adjust slightly for groups of people gathering for social justice and mostly wearing facemasks, and groups of people at bars, beaches and parties protesting facemasks themselves. 

If I had to put % on it...the people at the beach and bars are like...95% not protesting anything.  They are just going out.

The peaceful protesters are probably like 75% out there fighting for change...20% out there to sort of just be there and be a part of it...5% looking for some a$$...because well...guys will do that Ha.

Okay, off to go play 18.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
29 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

So you agree that we should be wearing masks? Great, welcome to the club. 

I never said we shouldnt wear masks. You must have skipped a few pages. 

22 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost makes a really good pint regarding Covid and football.  To paraphrase, we need to change our mindset about sports and Covid.  Covid is here regardless if we play football or not.  We can keep the athletes as a safe as possible, but they will still attend school, attend parties, embark on "life" etc....There's no way to live in a bubble.  To say that testing will prevent an athlete from getting covid is dishonest....He makes some valid points....All of it in the link below.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-if-college-football-is-to-be-played-frost-believes-change-of-mindset/article_197ed922-d7a1-58f1-8236-720586b89919.amp.html

Pretty much my opinion matches that of Frost. 

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Right, so they are both groups of morons.  It is okay to admit that.

Exactly. Not a fan of hypocritical behavior

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is an excellent point. I blame 24/7 cable news. That is too many hours of airtime to fill, and genuine investigative reporting is expensive. Then Fox News figured out that the news could just be a never-ending Reality Television series, with heroes and villains but not so much actual journalism. That made them a lot of money, so MSNBC and CNN followed the formula. Every story starts with an agenda.

In some cases there are straight up facts, backed by compelling research, but a lot of folks don't like that, either. 

Exactly- the news has basically become this s#!t show of basically the old ESPN show "First Take" with Skip and Steven A.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I never said we shouldnt wear masks. You must have skipped a few pages. 

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not that clear cut, and that is not hard to figure out either. If we wear masks and it seems under control so we allow full stadiums or people in stadiums and tailgating and outbreaks start again. No football? Teams start getting mass infections because they were sheltered for 6 months leading up to season. No football? My point is simply I don’t see how wearing a mask now provides a solution to those questions I have seen discussed for 30 pages on this thread. It doesn’t matter if it’s in control in August- that just means football may start and get what 2-3 weeks 

Flattening the curve by wearing masks (plus social distancing) is the best method that we know of to get life back to some semblance of normal; this includes having football and all of the pomp and circumstance that comes with it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know the Ivy league is looking to play in the spring and maybe not at all.  I wonder, that probably saves the Ivy League of cash, doesn't it?  I mean, they don't make money on their sports, do they?

Harvard's endowment is 41 Billion dollars, more than 90 countries GDPs. Football is a drop in the bucket. The Ivys are the last to worry about being strapped for cash.