Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Here is my take:

If masks work, open everything up and get back to normal, just require masks in all buildings and venues.

You can't ask people to do things indefinitely and expect good results. Sure some people are just being stupid, but you're always going to have a few of those.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Flattening the curve by wearing masks (plus social distancing) is the best method that we know of to get life back to some semblance of normal; this includes having football and all of the pomp and circumstance that comes with it. 

Ok- I am going to try to explain this in more detail for you. 

I am not opposed to masks- I am sure they will help slow the spread but not stop it because the virus is much smaller than what the masks prevent. 

BUT, like I said I don't see how they solve all the issues being raised by lots of people on this board about the logistics of the season. The players will not wear masks when they workout, when they practice, when they play other teams. So no matter how cautious we are now- infections are still going to happen during the season. Maybe Ohio State has to forfeit to Nebraska because they cant field a team. Those issues are not going to go away even if Bob wears his mask in the stadium or at the grocery store in august. So how are Masks in July going to solve those types of problems? I ask that question because the narrative is- wear a mask and we will have football. Ok so maybe football starts, then gets cancelled after 2 weeks. Then you will be listening to people b!^@h and say I wore a mask why is football cancelled. 

It is dangling a carrot with false hope that if you comply you will get this reward of college football. 

Seriously what if Herd Immunity kicks in some of these larger states and cases start to plummet August 1? Now that would be a real sustainable path to a full college football season. I am in no way endorsing being careless for college football's sake. I am just saying we are all guessing on what the best action is. Think how much the advice has changed: this is no threat to the US, minimal threat to be a pandemic, it lives on surfaces so scrub your groceries when you get home, its thought to be spreading on gas pumps- wash your hands, oh nevermind its unlikely it travels on surfaces its mostly within 6' of someone indoors. NO ONE KNOWS. 

I don't claim to have all the answers. I just don't think anyone else does either. If people think masks could help I have no problem doing my part- its not like its a big inconvenience in anyone's life. If they are wrong oh well I wore a mask for a couple months. If they are right then it worked. But don't sell me that the only path to college football is if you wear a mask. I don't want to hear absolute truth's when there is not one right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I think it’s going to get to the point where most of us fans would settle for seeing our Huskers in some capacity this fall.  Even if it’s a hodgepodge “season “.   I feel the states that are fortunate enough to keep the cases down and hospitals in good shape will be the most likely to participate.   We’d all take SDSU vs NU on TV with no fans rather than nothing at all, right?   At least the players get to play and get reps and we get some entertainment.   Will it happen?  I’m still doubtful, but it may be our best chance at this point.  So please, everyone do your part and adhere to the guidelines and wear a mask.  It’s not too much to ask. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Hind sight when this thing is over is the only thing that will determine what we should have done. Many people have different opinions- you believe yours is right. As most people do- they believe that what they believe is the real truth. The real truth is no one knows what the hell they are talking about.

If Herd Immunity turns out to be a real thing- which it is in most cases of viruses and it was with the most closely related virus SARS. So history being a good predictor Covid will fall into the category of Herd Immunity being a real thing. I dont know where the narrative of it might not work for COVID comes in. Show me some evidence why we should throw out past history. Other than it supports a culture of fear and being able to say you better do as I tell you because herd immunity might not save us. 

I am just not a fan of absolute claims. Maybe change the narrative to wearing a mask gives us a better chance to play football. But what I see is, wear a mask and you get football. s#!t no one knows that. Bulls#!t claim.

This is flawed logic. Doing nothing and waiting until it’s over is not a plan.....well, it seems to be dear leaders plan but it’s not a plan that will help mitigate the damage. Just because there are some unknowns about the disease is no reason to ignore the best information we do have. Masks help limit the spread. That is known. That is a fact. There actually are some folks who know something about it. They are commonly referred to as experts, epidemiologists, doctors, etc. So yes, there are some folks who know some truths and know what they are talking about.

And I don’t believe anyone here has guaranteed football will occur with mask wearing. You may be Misinterpreting what “wear a damn mask if you want football” actually is saying. That is intended, and rightfully so, to mean that we likely won’t have football if people continue to not wear masks. It’s no guarantee that football will happen with masks but rather well supported and intentioned reasoning that it won’t even be a possibility unless people start helping to limit the spread. Really, this shouldn’t need to be explained to anyone who is paying attention or who is remotely trying to acknowledge facts. Nobody here is making absolute claims but some seem to be willfully ignoring the experts and what is known about this deal.

If you want a chance at a football season being played, do your part and wear a mask to limit the spread. Please don’t wait until it’s over months/years from now to determine what it is we should‘ve been doing right now. You know what, it’s too late then. That’s like refusing to save for retirement, ignoring your financial advisor’s recommendations, reaching retirement age and only then realizing you should’ve saved some money.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

It is incredibly telling of the kind of society America has become that we have 30+ pages of arguing over masks in a thread where all participants want football.

Maybe we all wear masks and there's still no football. Likely because of the refusal of too many people who listen to the wrong sources we won't have a season. It's likely too late.

But if all you had to do was wear a mask... what logical argument is there against that?  It seems to have worked in Europe.  It worked in Hong Kong, it worked in South Korea and Japan.

It's just a mask. How is that a bridge too far for people?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
50 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is flawed logic. Doing nothing and waiting until it’s over is not a plan.....well, it seems to be dear leaders plan but it’s not a plan that will help mitigate the damage. Just because there are some unknowns about the disease is no reason to ignore the best information we do have. Masks help limit the spread. That is known. That is a fact. There actually are some folks who know something about it. They are commonly referred to as experts, epidemiologists, doctors, etc. So yes, there are some folks who know some truths and know what they are talking about.

And I don’t believe anyone here has guaranteed football will occur with mask wearing. You may be Misinterpreting what “wear a damn mask if you want football” actually is saying. That is intended, and rightfully so, to mean that we likely won’t have football if people continue to not wear masks. It’s no guarantee that football will happen with masks but rather well supported and intentioned reasoning that it won’t even be a possibility unless people start helping to limit the spread. Really, this shouldn’t need to be explained to anyone who is paying attention or who is remotely trying to acknowledge facts. Nobody here is making absolute claims but some seem to be willfully ignoring the experts and what is known about this deal.

If you want a chance at a football season being played, do your part and wear a mask to limit the spread. Please don’t wait until it’s over months/years from now to determine what it is we should‘ve been doing right now. You know what, it’s too late then. That’s like refusing to save for retirement, ignoring your financial advisor’s recommendations, reaching retirement age and only then realizing you should’ve saved some money.

You said it far better than I could. 

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That’s like refusing to save for retirement, ignoring your financial advisor’s recommendations, reaching retirement age and only then realizing you should’ve saved some money.

This is an excellent way to sum it up.  You're not gonna have the luxury of knowing the outcome to make your decisions right now, you have to educate yourself and act early or you can't retire!  Except in this case you may end up with lung damage or someone you care about dying. Isn't it worth it to try to make things better? What is the harm in trying?

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Some people will argue simply to argue because they think everything someone else says is wrong even if they may get hurt by that decision.  I see some folks get about an inch deep in a subject and make a decision based on previous bias and absolutely refuse to put any more thought into it. It's mind boggling and sad.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 3
46 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am not opposed to masks- I am sure they will help slow the spread but not stop it because the virus is much smaller than what the masks prevent. 

BUT, like I said I don't see how they solve all the issues being raised by lots of people on this board about the logistics of the season.

So how are Masks in July going to solve those types of problems? I ask that question because the narrative is- wear a mask and we will have football. Ok so maybe football starts, then gets cancelled after 2 weeks.

Then you will be listening to people b!^@h and say I wore a mask why is football canceled.

First this is biology.  Nothing is constant in biology.  The virus changes, our resistant to it changes, our knowledge changes so of course advice is going to change.  It's the best we can do with a novel virus and coming down on experts because they didn't, and still don't, have all the answers is shortsighted.

Masks are a piece of the puzzle.  It would have been better if everyone had jumped on the bandwagon a month ago but they didn't.  What masks can do is help get the r factor down below 1 and the spread will slow.  Once the cases are at "manageable" level then a robust testing and contact tracing system can be more effective.  There are other countries that have done just that.  And they have their lives back for the most part.  But if we do nothing about getting the r factor under control and allow this to continue to spread will-nilly, then you're right, there won't be football.

As to people b!^@hing about giving our best effort based on the available science...f them.  We're a society of spoiled brats.  You don't give a brat the time of day.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It is incredibly telling of the kind of society America has become that we have 30+ pages of arguing over masks in a thread where all participants want football.

Maybe we all wear masks and there's still no football. Likely because of the refusal of too many people who listen to the wrong sources we won't have a season. It's likely too late.

But if all you had to do was wear a mask... what logical argument is there against that?  It seems to have worked in Europe.  It worked in Hong Kong, it worked in South Korea and Japan.

It's inconvenient.

It's against my civil rights.

It's what limp wristed commies do.

Yesterday, our governor here in Oregon made it mandatory to wear masks indoors in public places.  A state trooper walked into a coffee shop without a mask.  He was told put one on and his reply was, "F--- Kate Brown (our governor)"  It's against the law to force people to wear a mask."  This came from a state cop.  Of course it's not against the law per our state's supreme court, but that's the attitude many have.  In this case, one who should know better.  

• Thanks 1

A couple of things....

I really hate wearing masks after about 5 minutes.  I hate them, BUT, I always wear them when I am in stores, restaurants etc.....

I work at a school.  We will have to wear a mask 100% of the time when in school.  The students will all have plexiglas guards that are portable and they will carry from class to class.  They will not have to wear masks in class.  We will have 100% of the kids in our school daily.  It will be hard, but it is what will have to do.  I tell the adults to suck it up.  The key will be to find a mask that is comfortable.

I am right of center when it comes to things.  I believe you should wear a mask.  It is hard for me to understand why people fight it. 

I have many questions about all of the other stuff, but not masks.  If you don't want to wear a mask, then stay home.  Our Governor is speaking right now.  I suspect we will all have to wear masks after today in our state.  It is OK.  It sucks, but so does many things we have to do in life.  Suck it up and let's get through it!

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, nobody in their right mind LIKES wearing a mask. They suck, they're hot, they fog up your glasses. But many of us do wear them when in public places because it helps control the spread. I guess some of us are just tougher and smarter than others. Who knew so many could be so wimpy over such a simple thing.

• Haha 1

There is real risk that slowing the spread can cause more deaths later (fall-winter-spring) when cold/flu/pneumonia arrive to create millions more high risk patients.  This does not include the short term deaths and other major issues from depression, domestic and other violence, suicides, untreated/undiagnosed cancers, etc.  

Wearing homemade masks may tend to slow the spread, whether its by a few % or 50%, the spread will not stop.   Most ought to be able to agree with this.  

Dr Fauci said on about March 6 on 60 minutes - masks are not very beneficial but make some feel better.  He changed tunes a couple times since I believe.  Experts are all over on this issue. 

How many millions have already had the virus without any problems?   Best guesses: between 20 and 100 million depending on which expert guess you want to believe.  

How many deaths truly caused by Covid 19?   less than 120,000.  Estimates vary.

Can you get it more than once?   There are a few reports but apparently not likely. 

Herd immunity?  Experts disagree but the evidence suggests it is very possible.  

Vaccine coming by Oct 1?  Very unlikely.   By Dec 1?   Ify at best.

By Mar 1?   Maybe.   By July 1, 2021?  Probably.   May never have one ?   Possible.  

All this being said, we can not wait 12 more months on a “maybe” or a “probably” if the cost of the wait is literally many trillions of dollars and tens of millions lost livelihoods and perhaps 100s of thousands of other avoidable non-covid 19 deaths.  

Just my opinion based on available data.  but 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

As to people b!^@hing about giving our best effort based on the available science...f them.  We're a society of spoiled brats.  You don't give a brat the time of day.

I wonder how the NOMASKS4EVR!!! people explain the drop off of positive cases in Europe?  Somehow they've restarted sports (in empty stadiums) and it is not because they've reached herd immunity. 

I know American college sports are not the same as European/American pro sports, due to educational considerations, etc. It will be much harder to "bubble-wrap" college football players in the same way as EPL, La Liga, MLS, NBA, etc. are doing/planning to do. 

However, having people mask diligently for the next 2 months will at least give an opportunity to force a downward curve in positive cases.  If we keep going at 50K or more positive cases per day over July/August/September, we will probably not have any college sports for the rest of 2020 and possibly even spring 2021.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1