Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, Rochelobe said:

I wonder how the NOMASKS4EVR!!! people explain the drop off of positive cases in Europe?  Somehow they've restarted sports (in empty stadiums) and it is not because they've reached herd immunity. 

I know American college sports are not the same as European/American pro sports, due to educational considerations, etc. It will be much harder to "bubble-wrap" college football players in the same way as EPL, La Liga, MLS, NBA, etc. are doing/planning to do. 

However, having people mask diligently for the next 2 months will at least give an opportunity to force a downward curve in positive cases.  If we keep going at 50K or more positive cases per day over July/August/September, we will probably not have any college sports for the rest of 2020 and possibly even spring 2021.

This. Exactly, simply this.

It's worked elsewhere. It's just a mask. Just wear it and give football a chance.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

contact tracing is a joke......cuomo and de blazio, the jokers running NY, have found it is very difficult to do,

New Yorkers don't want to be messed with....they will flip those folks the bird in a heartbeat!

Got friends up there,  i know how they are.

Competent health systems do not have a problem with contact tracing.

It is possible the two persons you mentioned are not competent, or are not listening to the competent people in their area.

3 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

contact tracing is a joke......cuomo and de blazio, the jokers running NY, have found it is very difficult to do,

New Yorkers don't want to be messed with....they will flip those folks the bird in a heartbeat!

Contact tracing isn't a joke.  It's our culture of "me, me, me" that's the joke.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Actually in Ohio they were able to trace some of the community spread in NE Ohio to 3 bars in Put-in-Bay from several weeks ago.  Started with 2 people that visited those bars.  I think I heard one of them knew they had it.  Problem is that, I am guessing because of HIPPA??, they cannot always share info.  Governor just said that parties, funerals, and other gatherings have been the problem.

4 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Contact tracing isn't a joke.  It's our culture of "me, me, me" that's the joke.

true, i should say, it is not a very effective tool in our toolbox.

NY'ers especially don't like having their privacy invaded. just an observation.

got to get them to wear masks first.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It is incredibly telling of the kind of society America has become that we have 30+ pages of arguing over masks in a thread where all participants want football.

Maybe we all wear masks and there's still no football. Likely because of the refusal of too many people who listen to the wrong sources we won't have a season. It's likely too late.

But if all you had to do was wear a mask... what logical argument is there against that?  It seems to have worked in Europe.  It worked in Hong Kong, it worked in South Korea and Japan.

It's just a mask. How is that a bridge too far for people?

I agree.  I am not a sheep.  I am an ardent supporter of our Constitution.....I wear a mask.  It doesn't hurt me.  It might or might not help (too much politicizing to know anymore), but I do think that it helps....If we want football wear a mask in the stadium.  It's out doors (cuts exposure) and mask just helps.....We tried no masks (again misinformation) and got the whole country shutdown....Let's try wearing masks and see what happens.....They are not 100% effective unless wearing an SCBA so herd immunity will still take place....Although we still get colds, flu, strep throat etc.......

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

What kills me is there's nearly a solid circle of a Venn diagram of folks who 1) fight against wearing masks and 2) want herd immunity to be the solution.

If you're willing to try one, why not both? I think people have just been poisoned by the wrong message bearers into thinking masks are of a certain ideology.

They're not. They're about science.

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

true, i should say, it is not a very effective tool in our toolbox.

NY'ers especially don't like having their privacy invaded. just an observation.

got to get them to wear masks first.

One problem I saw was Fl advised not to ask if they had participated in protests.  Also as you noted, privacy is a bog concern.  Who I was with, what I was doing, where was I at etc.....

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What kills me is there's nearly a solid circle of a Venn diagram of folks who 1) fight against wearing masks and 2) want herd immunity to be the solution.

If you're willing to try one, why not both? I think people have just been poisoned by the wrong message bearers into thinking masks are of a certain ideology.

They're not. They're about science.

Very true.  It's not science in this regard.  Wear a mask......It's really that simple IMHO.  Even if it only dropped the cases by 20%.....  And just a common sense argument, if masks don't work, why does a dental hygienist wear them (negates the sterile surgical room argument), doctors wear them, first responders etc......

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Yesterday, our governor here in Oregon made it mandatory to wear masks indoors in public places.  A state trooper walked into a coffee shop without a mask.  He was told put one on and his reply was, "F--- Kate Brown (our governor)"  It's against the law to force people to wear a mask."  This came from a state cop.  Of course it's not against the law per our state's supreme court, but that's the attitude many have.  In this case, one who should know better.  

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, lo country said:

Very true.  It's not science in this regard.  Wear a mask......It's really that simple IMHO.  Even if it only dropped the cases by 20%.....  And just a common sense argument, if masks don't work, why does a dental hygienist wear them (negates the sterile surgical room argument), doctors wear them, first responders etc......

sad it has been such a political statement when deciding to wear a mask. i really don't get that argument, i wear one to protect myself from others, period. what am i trying to prove when exposing myself to the risk, just because i don't like an elected official?  Stupid.

• Plus1 1