Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

While I don't agree with many on this thread, I do offer a genuine thank you to guys like Guy who make very intelligent arguments without demeaning anyone else.  Some of us could take a lesson, including myself.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

There is real risk that slowing the spread can cause more deaths later (fall-winter-spring) when cold/flu/pneumonia arrive to create millions more high risk patients.  This does not include the short term deaths and other major issues from depression, domestic and other violence, suicides, untreated/undiagnosed cancers, etc.  

Wearing homemade masks may tend to slow the spread, whether its by a few % or 50%, the spread will not stop.   Most ought to be able to agree with this.  

Dr Fauci said on about March 6 on 60 minutes - masks are not very beneficial but make some feel better.  He changed tunes a couple times since I believe.  Experts are all over on this issue. 

How many millions have already had the virus without any problems?   Best guesses: between 20 and 100 million depending on which expert guess you want to believe.  

How many deaths truly caused by Covid 19?   less than 120,000.  Estimates vary.

Can you get it more than once?   There are a few reports but apparently not likely. 

Herd immunity?  Experts disagree but the evidence suggests it is very possible.  

Vaccine coming by Oct 1?  Very unlikely.   By Dec 1?   Ify at best.

By Mar 1?   Maybe.   By July 1, 2021?  Probably.   May never have one ?   Possible.  

All this being said, we can not wait 12 more months on a “maybe” or a “probably” if the cost of the wait is literally many trillions of dollars and tens of millions lost livelihoods and perhaps 100s of thousands of other avoidable non-covid 19 deaths.  

Just my opinion based on available data.  but 

So, what's the tldr on this post?

Wear a mask or don't wear a mask? I couldn't tell what your point was.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

So, what's the tldr on this post?

Wear a mask or don't wear a mask? I couldn't tell what your point was.

Same point as before.  Masks or not, it will not matter in the end.  Virus will rage on until we all have it or vaccine is found.  Probably better to get it sooner than later.  

Lets get back to living.  

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

I wonder how the NOMASKS4EVR!!! people explain the drop off of positive cases in Europe?  Somehow they've restarted sports (in empty stadiums) and it is not because they've reached herd immunity. 

I know American college sports are not the same as European/American pro sports, due to educational considerations, etc. It will be much harder to "bubble-wrap" college football players in the same way as EPL, La Liga, MLS, NBA, etc. are doing/planning to do. 

However, having people mask diligently for the next 2 months will at least give an opportunity to force a downward curve in positive cases.  If we keep going at 50K or more positive cases per day over July/August/September, we will probably not have any college sports for the rest of 2020 and possibly even spring 2021.

This is very likely at this point.  Got a couple weeks to decide and there are enough places with new case #s (thats all the media talks about ) too many people are terrified of the virus to have sports.  School is doubtful too.  If we wait for an end of new cases, it may be a year until virtually everybody has had it.  

5 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Harvard's endowment is 41 Billion dollars, more than 90 countries GDPs. Football is a drop in the bucket. The Ivys are the last to worry about being strapped for cash.

Oh yeah, I know...but they don't have that much cash by blowing it. Harvard and Yale seem like the only ones that care at all about sports.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Dr Fauci said on about March 6 on 60 minutes - masks are not very beneficial but make some feel better.  He changed tunes a couple times since I believe

We're not living in early March anymore. Fauci as well as the rest of the medical community has learned and adapted.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, major counties in DFW & Houston made it mandatory 2 weeks ago.  So not a shocker for us. It's a good move.

On record, I've been wearing mask everywhere since Mid March.  Nothing to it, just common sense.  Even if it's 2 minutes inside a QT for Sprite and Doritos. 

It's good seeing everyone having it on. 

• Plus1 4

51 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah, major counties in DFW & Houston made it mandatory 2 weeks ago.  So not a shocker for us. It's a good move.

On record, I've been wearing mask everywhere since Mid March.  Nothing to it, just common sense.  Even if it's 2 minutes inside a QT for Sprite and Doritos. 

It's good seeing everyone having it on. 

You monster!  Sprite with Doritos???

It should be a Coke.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Same point as before.  Masks or not, it will not matter in the end.  Virus will rage on until we all have it or vaccine is found.  Probably better to get it sooner than later.  

Lets get back to living.  

I'm not sure any more ignorance could be packed into such a short post.  Well done.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 2