Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

You do understand this is a process, correct? Because this is a new disease, we are actually still in the learning phase of it. As we learn more about it, opinions and methodology change. It's the same reason why the people who are trying to troll Fauci for his opinions in January and February are incredibly cringe. Masks were not at the forefront of the discussion at the beginning because 1. we didn't know exactly how the virus was being transmitted, and 2. they were deemed essential for healthcare workers and those caring for sick individuals. 4 months later, we know more about the transmission and that one of the best ways of preventing it is by wearing masks. That's why the majority of the discussion has centered around wearing masks in public to help flatten the curve, or did you just start paying attention? 

Thank you.

No one understood the efficacy of a cloth mask in preventing the spread from a sock person. All mask related guidance was about protecting the wearer, which still holds true today. 

No one had any idea about asymptomatic carriers back in Jan/Feb. Mocking the CDC and WHO over that would be like mocking doctors from the 1800s for not using penicillin. 

We wear masks to protect others if we’re sick. That’s why it’s important to practice social distancing and stay at home as much as possible. 

Most people act like they’re in a hazmat suit when wearing these masks, and do things that bring their effectiveness to near 0. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

No. There will not be a football season this year. I honestly think it's foolish to believe it will happen at this point.

This country shows no signs of slowing down the disease, there is no way to keep the players isolated from the outside world, the rosters and potentially infectious people you'd have are massive, some (many? most?) universities are going to close their campuses and refuse to let their student athletes participate, many schools will find it financially unwise to host games without fans, the logistics are magnitudes more complicated than the doomed professional sports reboots, and just so many other reasons that complicate matters.

All of this less than 2 months from kickoff. This country isn't about to take precautions seriously, so it's clear we are going to be in this situation at least through the end of 2020.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

No. There will not be a football season this year. I honestly think it's foolish to believe it will happen at this point.

This country shows no signs of slowing down the disease, there is no way to keep the players isolated from the outside world, the rosters and potentially infectious people you'd have are massive, some (many? most?) universities are going to close their campuses and refuse to let their student athletes participate, many schools will find it financially unwise to host games without fans, the logistics are magnitudes more complicated than the doomed professional sports reboots, and just so many other reasons that complicate matters.

All of this less than 2 months from kickoff. This country isn't about to take precautions seriously, so it's clear we are going to be in this situation at least through the end of 2020.

Sensible me agrees 

1 hour ago, I am I said:

31 of 3,185  Major League Baseball test positive. 1.2%

no hospitalizations or serious illness in those. 

major league soccer 16 of 302 test positive. No hospitalizations....2.7%

Are MLB and MLS "bubbling" their players and teams together like the NBA is planning on doing? 

1 hour ago, I am I said:

Sounds like Freddie Freeman is having a tough go of it according to the Braves. Not hospitalization tough, running fever. The other three Braves are asymptomatic at this time. 

2 hours ago, I am I said:

The key here isn't going to be initial infections it's going to be ongoing infections as the season progresses. If cases stay low we're looking good. If cases start spiking that spells trouble. 

The college programs who have had to suspend voluntary workouts because case numbers are jumping after they start working out is troubling for a season happening. 

3 hours ago, I am I said:

I don’t understand the point being made here.

• Haha 2

Per NYTimes numbers June 1 - July 4.  New cases 900,000. deaths 29,000.  = 3%.  Estimated unidentified infections another 9,000,000 at just the 10X multiplier = death rate of .3%.  over entire population (all age groups).

Estimated total deaths in U.S. to july 1 for those under 45 yrs old = 2900.    Most with other illnesses already (not athletes or coaching staff types generally). 

I didnt easily find a breakdown of cases #s count by age groups but it seems reasonable to say that the younger and healthier the better.   

Point is - college sports participants have almost NO meaningful risk of death due to exposure to Covid 19.  Very little risk of serious illness either. Most who get it will hardly have symptoms to deal with.  

Limit contacts of participants with high risk groups (older sickly, etc) and play football.  Test and isolate if you must but no reason to not go forward otherwise except fear of something not very dangerous.  

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
44 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Per NYTimes numbers June 1 - July 4.  New cases 900,000. deaths 29,000.  = 3%.  Estimated unidentified infections another 9,000,000 at just the 10X multiplier = death rate of .3%.  over entire population (all age groups).

Estimated total deaths in U.S. to july 1 for those under 45 yrs old = 2900.    Most with other illnesses already (not athletes or coaching staff types generally). 

I didnt easily find a breakdown of cases #s count by age groups but it seems reasonable to say that the younger and healthier the better.   

Point is - college sports participants have almost NO meaningful risk of death due to exposure to Covid 19.  Very little risk of serious illness either. Most who get it will hardly have symptoms to deal with.  

Limit contacts of participants with high risk groups (older sickly, etc) and play football.  Test and isolate if you must but no reason to not go forward otherwise except fear of something not very dangerous.  

I think there is concern with asymptomatic spread. 

• Plus1 1