Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

It's hard to believe we need headlines like this but here we are.

Want to increase the chances of Husker football? Wear a mask

Do you want college football in the fall? Wear a mask. Anywhere, everywhere, even when it feels weird.

You’ve heard that a lot lately, from various corners of the state and nation. Gov. Pete Ricketts again said so Thursday afternoon.

The wear-a-mask admonition is related to transmission of the coronavirus, and there is data that backs up the argument that a mask will reduce the number of positive COVID-19 tests wherever they’re consistently worn — via mandate or choice.

You’re not required to believe that data and, judging by my Facebook and Twitter feeds, some don’t. You may also believe the quick rise in positive tests in many states — including Florida, Texas and California — isn’t as big of a deal because a growing number of those positives are among younger people and those healthy enough to live either asymptomatically or have symptoms so mild they feel like allergies or one “off” day. You may think the pandemic is overblown, that masks don’t do much of anything, that people who say you should wear a mask are being judgmental and nosy, that as hospitalization rates skyrocket in some states, death rates will remain flat, and so on.

I’m not here to argue with you. If the doctors, public health officials, hospital administrators, media and political leaders can’t convince you, I won’t try. Not like that, anyway.

But I will say this: If you don’t wear a mask and the COVID-19 cases keep rising, or even stay at an alarmingly high rate three weeks from now, there probably isn’t going to be any college football whether you or anyone else thinks it’s safe or not.

The leaders running our states, athletic conferences, universities and the sport at large won’t think it’s safe and they’ll shut it down. Those leaders believe the science. They are worried. And they are in charge.

Your job, if you want football, is to convince everyone in charge of football that it's not going to ruin them financially to play football. You do that by wearing a mask and turning the infection rate down.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Your job, if you want football, is to convince everyone in charge of football that it's not going to ruin them financially to play football. You do that by wearing a mask and turning the infection rate down.

I don't think infection rates in southeastern Nebraska are really a major issue - despite what any bar graph shows of infection rates now compared to, say, a month ago. This is because proportionally we really have very few infections, periods.

The main issue is in the more populated areas of B1G country.

This does not in any way invalidate your point at all. Your point you're driving at is probably the best anyone can do "to do your part in order to have football," etc. But practically speaking, just us doing this to the fullest extent in Nebraska probably won't do jack in the bigger picture.

Again...I am not saying to not wear masks.

• Haha 1
On 7/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, teachercd said:

Ha...could you imagine if people heard/knew the s#!t we say on the sidelines or during practice...my god.  I would be in prison!  Ha

One of the mostly ignored side-issues of the proposed NBA re-start is that without crowd noise and PA blather, the broadcasts will pick up everything the players are actually saying on court. And there are some serious trash-talkers out there. The kind of stuff that would cause a mere corporate CEO to lose his job. 

Could be good for ratings.

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One of the mostly ignored side-issues of the proposed NBA re-start is that without crowd noise and PA blather, the broadcasts will pick up everything the players are actually saying on court. And there are some serious trash-talkers out there. The kind of stuff that would cause a mere corporate CEO to lose his job. 

Most likely they will add canned background noise.  lol.  Games without fan noise will be dull broadcasts Id think.  

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think NBA said they will be on delay and remove any foul language.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well the seven second delay can clip out the word "motherf***er" but it might not delete how Draymond Green really feels about James Harden's mother. 

Ever been close to the court during an NBA game?  Mother f#&%er won't be the big word they are going to be worried about.  Haha!