Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Michigan article, but it's as much about the Big Ten as anything:

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-wolverines-2020-college-football-season-in-doubt-inside-information-jim-harbaugh

One coach I spoke to noted that in discussing the upcoming season with a former colleague in the SEC he was surprised to hear that a straw poll among the staff of that southern school had overwhelming expressed concern about moving forward with workouts and (soon-to-be) team practices. 

"They've had a large number of positive COVID tests and not everyone is asymptomatic - you may find this hard to believe because we're football coaches and supposedly we're all fire-and-brimstone, rub-dirt on it, run-through-brick-wall personality types, but there is very real concern about our exposure, taking it home to our families, spreading it through our communities and impacting our loved ones," this U-M program insider shared. 

"No one is excited to travel. No one wants to get on a plane. No one wants to stay in a hotel."

One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools."  Other Big Ten schools are thinking about scrapping the year altogether. 

"The most disappointing thing is the complete lack of leadership from the Big Ten and NCAA - I think the leaders are scared to death about taking responsibility and so it's every school president and athletic director for themselves," a Michigan coach said. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we're that West Division team. Moos & co do at least seem to be taking a lot of initiative with this stuff. Might end up playing all the Dakota schools?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Toe said:

These are the kinds of things responsible people have to think about when the virus is out of control like this.

There's a reason other nations are shutting their borders to America. Our response to this virus has been a joke.

Other countries are going to have sports this year. It's not likely we will - at least, not college football. And if there's no college football, how are other schools going to afford their other sports? And if those other schools don't play, Nebraska doesn't play, either.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Toe said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we're that West Division team. Moos & co do at least seem to be taking a lot of initiative with this stuff. Might end up playing all the Dakota schools?

Gonna be really easy to negative recruit teams that try and play at all costs and one of their kids get sick. Just have to tell Mom, that Coach ____________, really only cares about his bottom line, and the kids/their health - really don't matter. If we're trying to put together a schedule against the Dakotas, just scrap the thing. 

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Gonna be really easy to negative recruit teams that try and play at all costs and one of their kids get sick. Just have to tell Mom, that Coach ____________, really only cares about his bottom line, and the kids/their health - really don't matter. If we're trying to put together a schedule against the Dakotas, just scrap the thing. 

More kids will want to come if NU has games while others dont.  imo

On 7/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, Scarlet said:

Contact tracing isn't a joke.  It's our culture of "me, me, me" that's the joke.

true, i should say, it is not a very effective tool in our toolbox.

NY'ers especially don't like having their privacy invaded. just an observation.

got to get them to wear masks first.

looks like herd immunity is the only solution now.  maybe next year

29 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

true, i should say, it is not a very effective tool in our toolbox.

NY'ers especially don't like having their privacy invaded. just an observation.

got to get them to wear masks first.

looks like herd immunity is the only solution now.  maybe next year

Don't put all your eggs in the herd immunity basket... https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/immunity-to-coronavirus-is-fragile-and-short-lived-expert-warns.html

“And immunity to this thing looks rather fragile — it looks like some people might have antibodies for a few months and then it might wane, so it’s not looking like a safe bet,” he said. “It’s a very deceitful virus and immunity to it is very confusing and rather short-lived.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1