Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

4 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

I think it is starting to look bleak. The Ivy League is expected to announce moving the season until Spring 2021. Could be the first to set off a chain reaction like they (the Ivy League) did with conference championships in basketball.

https://theathletic.com/1911122/2020/07/06/will-college-football-season-actually-happen-this-fall-ivy-league/

Talking to my grandparents this weekend (who of course live in a bubble of their own), they asked me if there would be a football season. I offered the opinion that there likely wouldn't be kids on campus, so of course there wouldn't be football. Harvard chiming in right on cue here.

Harvard's decision to not welcome students back from spring break was about the first sign that made me truly take notice of the impending pandemic. I expect most schools around the country to follow suit, even those who are in relatively unimpacted areas. Most schools have students coming from all over the country, quarantining them upon arrival isn't feasible, and dorms are going to see rampant spread of the virus because of the close quarters and fearless youth. The following spread into the community is inevitable. Any city, county, or state official representing a district with a university and who cares for the safety of their residents will not be in favor of students on campus.

It's difficult to envision student athletes choosing to play when it's been deemed unsafe to have students on campus (assuming the school even allows athletic events). There's not going to be a football season this year.

20 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Any city, county, or state official representing a district with a university and who cares for the safety of their residents will not be in favor of students on campus.

It's a weird deal though, right, that elementary/high schools are looking like they WILL be hosting in person classes in some capacity?  The reasoning predominantly being that younger kids less effected with even some hints they may not even vector it (which, admittedly goes against everything I know about virology.) So magically a kid rolls from 17-18 and all of the sudden can't be anywhere near a campus. Nothing makes sense anymore.

2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

It's a weird deal though, right, that elementary/high schools are looking like they WILL be hosting in person classes in some capacity?  The reasoning predominantly being that younger kids less effected with even some hints they may not even vector it (which, admittedly goes against everything I know about virology.) So magically a kid rolls from 17-18 and all of the sudden can't be anywhere near a campus. Nothing makes sense anymore.

College Kids don't need anyone to watch them. Kids do, if they're not at school they'll be at daycare.

Maybe we need to rename the thread, Will there be a 2020 College Basketball Season?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Are these kids in an impacted area? Are they shipping in kids from Florida and Texas? You make this statement like K-12 schools across the country are making a decision in unison. It's completely up in the air here in Minnesota.

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If sports are cancelled there is literally no reason to pay for a tv service for the next year 

There'll be sports from other countries where they stopped the spread. In some totally mysterious, unreplicatable way that is most likely pure chance and not related to any conscious decision made by the citizens of those countries.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, mrandyk said:

It's difficult to envision student athletes choosing to play when it's been deemed unsafe to have students on campus (assuming the school even allows athletic events). There's not going to be a football season this year.

Do you know any college athletes?  I do personally know several and can say that they want to play.  I know this isn't a representation of all student athletes, but based on my experiences I believe that the majority do want to play.  

• Fire 1

I'm failing to see the benefit of these sports organizations trying to move their seasons around to different times of the year.  It's clear that weather doesn't affect the virus like some thought.  This is like some amateur trying to time the stock market.  It just doesn't work.

If you want your sport to be played, just keep the season the same and figure out how to make it more safe.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm failing to see the benefit of these sports organizations trying to move their seasons around to different times of the year.  It's clear that weather doesn't affect the virus like some thought.  This is like some amateur trying to time the stock market.  It just doesn't work.

If you want your sport to be played, just keep the season the same and figure out how to make it more safe.

My guess is the basketball VP wants to avoid the time year that crosses over with peak flu season. Hospitals already feel strain with flu alone. Flu + Covid, will probably mean more restrictions in place. 

• Thanks 1