Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Sorry if this info is already in the thread. Not sure how credible it is. I got it from a Michigan board so maybe not so credible. :P Also read that Michigan will not play Washington or Arkansas State this year. They will play the regional MAC team.

The ADs and presidents did meet today and it sounds like there is a commitment to play this year.

As I mentioned yesterday, it won't be a full season. That's pretty much off the table. I still think it's 8-9 conference games, maybe 1 regional non-conference to meet the BTN contract programming (because everyone wants to watch OSU blow the doors off Akron, Bowling Green or Ohio). 

Thought: getting ahead of ourselves, but I bet some players sit if we get the one regional cupcake game. 

Again, the reason behind all of this is because the B1G can level the playing field and create rules and framework that everyone has to follow.

For example, mandatory testing from an independent contractor hired by the league 36-48 hours before every game. Or mandatory bye weeks. Reduced rosters numbers on the sidelines. How long positive tests have to sit. Mandatory full face shields on helmets (look them up if you haven't seen them). Mandatory masks on sidelines (they would wear those neck things that they can just pull up over their mouths). And so on...

I still like the 2 games on, 1 game off model. It almost ensures no one has to miss more than one game if he tests positive. However, I hear pushing the start back to mid-Sept. and splitting the season into thirds with a bye after games 3 and 6 is more likely. 

Yesterday someone mentioned that some teams are angling to play division games only. That IS accurate. They are weighing a handful options. One would have division games only and playing some teams home and away based on distance. (Michigan/MSU twice in one year? Probably not likely, but I suppose it could happen. We do it in basketball).

It sounds like they agreed on 5-6 models to consider and they're going to come back vote/decide).

I'll post more if I hear more, but at the end of the day, it sounds like we're going to at least try to play football this fall. Who the hell knows how far we'll get...

• Plus1 2

Somehow you guys seem to think that the NCAA has control over this, or the AD', Commissioners.. The Governor's will make the final decision on any games being played. 

If the mortality rate keeps going down and only young people are getting it, then the Political side will make the choice.

Our Governor has already cancelled Cochella and Stagecoach, which were rescheduled to October,  Three years ago they brought over 710 million dollars to the Indio area.  Every year it gets bigger and bigger.

We need the death tolls to continue like Dr Atlas says they will.  The only chance they line up and play

The politics should favor opening things up and resuming life and normally this would be the case.  But there is nothing normal about the current times.  

Instead theses are very strange and ominous times socially and politically.  Unusual forces are at play distorting and twisting the very social fabric.  As a result, the ‘herd’ is broken up and disbursed in several directions, particularly on the left.    Its like herding cats instead of cattle.  You don’t.  

Politics has invaded areas of life where it rarely belongs (sports, healthcare, business, major news media) all at the same time.  When combining this oil & water like mess in an extremely polarized and agitated electorate, all bets are off.  It truly is a scenario where forces are pushing and pulling in ways unlike anything since the 1850s in this country. 

Yes Governors and Mayors have the say locally, thanks to cowardly courts mostly.  But the ADs, school Presidents, conference and sports association leaders, et al, are all stuck with making choices they dont want to make.  Sometimes, those cushy big bucks jobs are just not so cushy.  lol

There are no easy or obvious choices where everybody is going to be pleased.  The leaders cant stick the finger up and look which way the wind is blowing - cause it is, effectively, a tornado.  Society is spinning erratically.  

The pandemic may be subsiding, or maybe not, depending on the measurements one takes and the relative importance of each.  Case #s are climbing as they would be expected to be as infectious illness spreads exponentially through the population.  Nothing but an absolute strict quarantine of everybody could stop the inevitable spread, once it was discovered, already disbursed across the population.

Slow the spread - flatten the curve - save the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  That WAS the Fauci strategy.  

The big problem is Dr Fauci had to make choices - politically, socially, economically - in the name of medical science.  Some of those choices appear more political than scientific to many.  Certain segments of society became more “essential” than others.  Some workers were deemed worthy and did not suffer at all while others lost everything.  Some got effectively long paid leave and work from home with no loss of incomes, benefits, etc.  Others had the lives and livelihoods confiscated and it continues with more to come being threatened. 

Now, we are threatening the sports world and children’s education.  But apparently there is no cost to the teachers - just the kids and parents.  Somehow government is the sacred cow.  Again.  

I think if school is closed, again, there will be serious resistance to continuing government employment as ‘essential’ yet, apparently, unnecessary.  lol. 

In other words, time for Dr Fauci and the government side to feel the pain,  if shutdown is their only answer, with no end in sight but more ifs and maybes.  

Sacrifice for all needs to be shared by all, fairly.    

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 3
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Slow the spread - flatten the curve - save the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  That WAS the Fauci strategy.  

Still is brother. 

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Some of those choices appear more political than scientific to many.

Fauci has worked under 6 presidents, including Reagan and both Bushes. The only reason his expert advice is seen as political is because Trump disagrees with it. I assure you science isn't political, he's saying what every other countries top scientists are telling them. People don't like what he's saying because its inconvenient, it might affect their sports watching, their vacations, their summer plans. Much like a doctor would tell you to run and stop eating pizza if you came into his office fat as hell, Fauci is just telling the nation what needs to be done to be healthy. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Still is brother. 

Fauci has worked under 6 presidents, including Reagan and both Bushes. The only reason his expert advice is seen as political is because Trump disagrees with it. I assure you science isn't political, he's saying what every other countries top scientists are telling them. People don't like what he's saying because its inconvenient, it might affect their sports watching, their vacations, their summer plans. Much like a doctor would tell you to run and stop eating pizza if you came into his office fat as hell, Fauci is just telling the nation what needs to be done to be healthy. 

As I said, some agree and some don’t.   His opinions are his opinions.  Many other Drs etc see things differently.   Many of his fundamental “facts” change so often they are just opinions in my view.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

It is true that hospitals are filling up, but last night the Governor of Florida was on TV saying they were still in a good situation bed wise and that a lot of the fill was from prior elective surgeries, cancer treatments and a host of other medical problems.  The beds are not full of Covid patients, like the media twists the story.  

No one can blame Fauci, he had no idea of what this disease was or even is still at this point.  They are learning that it isn't as deadly as first thought, except to the elderly and those with other health problems.

USC has stated no person to person classes this fall/year.  I am guessing with no large gatherings allowed in the state of California, the Pac 12 will be hard pressed to have a season.  If Garcetti and Newsome have any choice, there won't be I would bet on it.

The only chance of football in the Pac 12 is if the death toll/rate keeps falling, which I think it will, but these idiots may hold us under their power until after the election.  

Franz,  is your hospital using HCQ in early cases.  Ours has and it seems to help quite a bit.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

But the ADs, school Presidents, conference and sports association leaders, et al, are all stuck with making choices they dont want to make.

Yep, agreed.

Even if there were widespread agreement over having zero fans in the stadiums (as the EPL soccer league is currently doing) by the end of  the third week in July, I genuinely predict what will happen is that staff and players will slowly start chatter in the social media sphere at the end of the month that "we just don't feel safe."

There will potentially be walkouts or coaching staffs going to their AD and saying "our players don't feel safe."

9 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I am guessing with no large gatherings allowed in the state of California, the Pac 12 will be hard pressed to have a season.

Right - because how do have a policy that says students can't be in class sitting less than six feet apart and then play a sport where you're in each other's faces, be it in training, practice, or in games.

Again, the big dollar revenue generating schools absolutely want football to happen and their financial teams and admin teams are probably sh*tting their pants right now at the thought of the potential lost revenue (in any amount). But if you do the season roughly as normal, people get sick, and you get sued...how much money flies out the door?

Pretty much an inexorable clusterf*ck. There won't be much football played (if any at all).

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Franz,  is your hospital using HCQ in early cases.  Ours has and it seems to help quite a bit.  

Off the floors and out of the ICUs now, moved to a management, post acute setting role, so can’t speak on it first hand. But all the studies I’ve read seem to show HCQ has a role early on and paired with the right drugs. 

• Plus1 2

I think it’s going to take all states bring open to have a season. I would think the NCAA would deem it an unfair recruiting tool for schools that can play games. I could also understand the other side of players or coaches that do not want to burn a year of eligibility for a dumbed down schedule with a meaningless outcome. Maybe it would be considered a scrimmage year, IDK. But even those are tightly regulated by the NCAA 

26 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I think it’s going to take all states bring open to have a season. I would think the NCAA would deem it an unfair recruiting tool for schools that can play games. I could also understand the other side of players or coaches that do not want to burn a year of eligibility for a dumbed down schedule with a meaningless outcome. Maybe it would be considered a scrimmage year, IDK. But even those are tightly regulated by the NCAA 

Yes.  NCAA will have to basically issue a “2020 doesn’t count” rule.  Thereby saying players, whether they play this fall or not, retain full eligibility as though 2020 never happened.  

They also have to increase roster and scholarship limits by 25 to 110 in fb for example until the class of 2020 exhausts their 5 years and then cut back to 85.  This will be opposed by many who cant afford the numbers.  But so be it.  Teams dont have to use them.  If they dont fix this year, then some group is going to get shorted a full year as a student- athlete participation.

I dont see the NCAA shutting down the entire country because Mich or Cal doesnt want to play.   I doubt they have the power but depends on the contracts signed by members I suppose.  You cant give one or two schools or governors veto power over the rest of the country either.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1