Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Yep, agreed.

Even if there were widespread agreement over having zero fans in the stadiums (as the EPL soccer league is currently doing) by the end of  the third week in July, I genuinely predict what will happen is that staff and players will slowly start chatter in the social media sphere at the end of the month that "we just don't feel safe."

There will potentially be walkouts or coaching staffs going to their AD and saying "our players don't feel safe."

I am not sure. This might be crazy man Harbaugh  coach speak, but he is claiming everyone in camp wants to play the season in some form. I think I believe him. Its the football mentality. Parents might be scared to let the kids play however.

4 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Still is brother. 

Fauci has worked under 6 presidents, including Reagan and both Bushes. The only reason his expert advice is seen as political is because Trump disagrees with it. I assure you science isn't political, he's saying what every other countries top scientists are telling them. People don't like what he's saying because its inconvenient, it might affect their sports watching, their vacations, their summer plans. Much like a doctor would tell you to run and stop eating pizza if you came into his office fat as hell, Fauci is just telling the nation what needs to be done to be healthy. 

Just reported.  Florida ICUs at about 85% capacity (15% is covid cases - rest are other types of patients.  Additionally Florida has 10 covid only facilities around the state which are not full.  Normal utilization rate is around 90% btw.  In addition to all this, most

hospitals have additional back up ICU capacity of 100% of normal capacity.  Finally, many of the hospitals have waiting lists for regular non covid patients but this is declining fairly quickly as staffing and scheduling permits.  

Similar numbers / situations in Texas for example.  

More shutdowns jeopardizes the non virus healthcare greatly.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, nic said:

I am not sure. This might be crazy man Harbaugh  coach speak, but he is claiming everyone in camp wants to play the season in some form. I think I believe him. Its the football mentality. Parents might be scared to let the kids play however.

Players are free to not play anytime.   That is not an issue to me.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Colorado high schools have canceled marching bands for the 2020-21 academic year.

This makes fiscal sense as band travel probably adds up and lots more people to test, etc. without hurting revenues a great deal.  I was in h.s. band btw but not college.  I love the Marching Red though.  

41 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Just reported.  Florida ICUs at about 85% capacity (15% is covid cases - rest are other types of patients.  Additionally Florida has 10 covid only facilities around the state which are not full.  Normal utilization rate is around 90% btw.  In addition to all this, most

hospitals have additional back up ICU capacity of 100% of normal capacity.  Finally, many of the hospitals have waiting lists for regular non covid patients but this is declining fairly quickly as staffing and scheduling permits.  

Similar numbers / situations in Texas for example.  

More shutdowns jeopardizes the non virus healthcare greatly.  

I'm more than knowledgable on the resources it takes to run an ICU, let alone an ICU at capacity, let alone transitioning additional beds to ICU beds. 15% is nothing to scoff at, and I'm sure that number is elevated in hotspots. A sudden 15% uptick in ICU patients, let alone a 20%-30% uptick puts quite a bit of strain on system. I'm not advocating for a shutdown, just proving context. I'm not saying Florida is a lost cause, but definitely something to watch in regards to the return of sports. Notably NBA. If death rate in Florida continues to stay low, well that's pretty good sign, if it trends up with hospitalizations and cases - then that puts the NBA season in limbo as well as all sports.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
56 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yes.  NCAA will have to basically issue a “2020 doesn’t count” rule.  Thereby saying players, whether they play this fall or not, retain full eligibility as though 2020 never happened.  

They also have to increase roster and scholarship limits by 25 to 110 in fb for example until the class of 2020 exhausts their 5 years and then cut back to 85.  This will be opposed by many who cant afford the numbers.  But so be it.  Teams dont have to use them.  If they dont fix this year, then some group is going to get shorted a full year as a student- athlete participation.

I dont see the NCAA shutting down the entire country because Mich or Cal doesnt want to play.   I doubt they have the power but depends on the contracts signed by members I suppose.  You cant give one or two schools or governors veto power over the rest of the country either.  

I have not heard one thing from the NCAA making a statement on anything regarding the upcoming season. I see lots from conferences trying to come up with plans, but how much direction they are getting from the NCAA I don’t know. 

and my statement is only coming from an unfair recruiting and practicing standpoint. Arizona, California, Michigan have a right to be protected by the NCAA. They cannot play if their governors will not allow sporting events. Why should they be harmed for something out of their control? 

And weren’t states given directions about the reopening phases by Trump in April/May? Not sure how much states have to adhere to that but seemed like the three most important metrics were: number of tests administered, percent positive of tests (10% is the threshold I believe), and Hospitalizations (not sure of the level of acceptability). I’m just saying that I don’t know how much power a governor has to go rogue from these metrics, not to mention why would they. Just to screw up football season for all I guess. 

Again, I just don’t see how or why  few schools have veto power over all the others.   

Why should the Big 12 or SEC or Neb, Iowa, Indiana, Ill, etc take millions and millions in losses (not to mention tens of thousands of students), because Michigan says they dont want to.   If their stadium collapses, we dont cancel cfb because they cant play.  They can forfeit.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Again, I just don’t see how or why  few schools have veto power over all the others.   

Why should the Big 12 or SEC or Neb, Iowa, Indiana, Ill, etc take millions and millions in losses (not to mention tens of thousands of students), because Michigan says they dont want to.   If their stadium collapses, we dont cancel cfb because they cant play.  They can forfeit.   

Terrible analogy. This has happened many times In CFB history. They play in other stadiums and do not forfeit.  Because  it’s legal to do so. 

And what would Michigan veto? If they aren’t in a position to open their communities, then they don’t open. Football doesn’t supersede that. Could Michigan play every game out of state-IDK.  I presume they stated their reopening milestones months ago. What does the state have to gain by not having football?  Safety, gir one. I’m not sure if Michigan is a good example or if we’re just using them for example sake. I have heard that Arizona and California are not in good positions right now. 

5 minutes ago, nic said:

I missed something....I thought Michigan is on board with playing?Rutgers and NW, I am not so sure.

I think we were just using Michigan for a name, but not sure. 

Maybe the entire SEC conference will not be able to play and we can finally gain some traction against their recent success.