Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

7 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes he brings much of that stuff on himself but most of it is exaggerated and made out to be a bigger deal than it is or is just not even true, same thing happened to Obama and all presidents.

Yeah, outrage at gassing protestors in front of the White House in order to have a photo-op is completely the same as the outrage directed at Obama for wearing that tan suit.  Really, there is absolutely no difference between the two things, right? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Major League Baseball's attempt to pull off a shortened season is quickly unravelling as more players test positive. NBA players are getting nervous about being committed to a bubble in Orlando. These multimillionaire players are being allowed to opt out, but if unpaid college athletes are expected to assume the risk in order to entertain us, the season could have a pretty bad vibe. No matter how low the statistical probability, if just one player, coach, staffer or family member dies, the ripple effect would stop everything in its tracks. 

I know there's an attempt to politicize this, but the same pandemic is affecting almost every country on Earth, with no left or right agenda, no TDS. Virtually no one is accusing the United States of going too far to stop the spread of the coronavirus. 

• Plus1 5

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Major League Baseball's attempt to pull off a shortened season is quickly unravelling as more players test positive. NBA players are getting nervous about being committed to a bubble in Orlando. These multimillionaire players are being allowed to opt out, but if unpaid college athletes are expected to assume the risk in order to entertain us, the season could have a pretty bad vibe. No matter how low the statistical probability, if just one player, coach, staffer or family member dies, the ripple effect would stop everything in its tracks. 

I know there's an attempt to politicize this, but the same pandemic is affecting almost every country on Earth, with no left or right agenda, no TDS. Virtually no one is accusing the United States of going too far to stop the spread of the coronavirus. 

Which makes the attitude of those that say "play college football anyway - its highly unlikely any players will have serious consequences". 

Yet, most projections show that if you do have an outbreak through all of college football, which is possible if you just play games and don't do adequate testing (and continue to do as poor a job as we've done so far as a country), you end up with a reasonable probability of one or two deaths (just among players, not even considering coaches, support personnel, officials, etc.).

Makes us sound like a wimpy version of the Romans.  Bread and circuses, indeed.

6 minutes ago, Farms said:

Man the damage that will occur to those downtown businesses with no sports will be catastrophic. So many businesses depend on those seasons to be profitable. 

I’m afraid the landscape in all these charming college towns is going to be changing drastically. Even if games,  or some games happen. 

2 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Which makes the attitude of those that say "play college football anyway - its highly unlikely any players will have serious consequences". 

Yet, most projections show that if you do have an outbreak through all of college football, which is possible if you just play games and don't do adequate testing (and continue to do as poor a job as we've done so far as a country), you end up with a reasonable probability of one or two deaths (just among players, not even considering coaches, support personnel, officials, etc.).

Makes us sound like a wimpy version of the Romans.  Bread and circuses, indeed.

Personally I think players will be safer if they are playing due to routine testing. If we’ve learned anything about that demographic, it’s that they’re not prone to be cautious. 

as far as I can tell, sports programs are making a great effort to test.  

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Stanford just cut eleven sports.  The Ivy League has said no to all fall sports.  I think the writing is on the wall.  No football next month.  

Stanford cutting 11 sports in not one bit Covid related. It’s discrimination related. 

47 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Yeah, outrage at gassing protestors in front of the White House in order to have a photo-op is completely the same as the outrage directed at Obama for wearing that tan suit.  Really, there is absolutely no difference between the two things, right? 

I like tan suits!

Obama did smoke, I was always surprised that didn't become a bigger thing from the anti-smoking crowd.

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Stanford cutting 11 sports in not one bit Covid related. It’s discrimination related. 

Yeah...discrimination against lame sports.  High five!

• Haha 2

Still hoping we get a 10 game season or something as close to that as possible.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/ten-game-big-ten-only-schedule-seems-likely-for-2020

Listened  to 1620 on the way home today. I think the Big10 will make a herculean effort to make this happen. Maybe we play only 6 games if COVID cases come up which I'm sure they will. Possibly play in two week intervals with quarantine measures in place. Canceling the season will wreck havoc on recruiting as everyone knows.  Conferences like the SEC will also try to get as many games as possible. I'm trying to keep my glass half full, but it's tough....

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I like tan suits!

Obama did smoke, I was always surprised that didn't become a bigger thing from the anti-smoking crowd.

Yeah...discrimination against lame sports.  High five!

Ha! You must write for the Onion. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Virtually no one is accusing the United States of going too far to stop the spread of the coronavirus. 

Uhhhhhhhhh....