Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

29 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Forgot to add, I have also seen him advocating for this new individualized filtration system that seems to be working for every other country. Much smaller units that fit around the face. Very effective. 

Just 5 months and 3 million cases too late.  lol.  Hes been the expert for infectious diseases for 40 years.  I am sure he will have it all figured out by early next year!   Better late than never!  Or maybe not in the case of pandemics.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Just 5 months and 3 million cases too late.  lol.  Hes been the expert for infectious diseases for 40 years.  I am sure he will have it all figured out by early next year!   Better late than never!  Or maybe not in the case of pandemics.  

Honest questions:

1.  Do you think if masks had been used in the United States starting in late February we would be in a better place now?

2. Do you think if Fauci had come out in late February and said "please use masks" it would have mattered (by "use" I mean recommend, not require - I think a requirement would have been nearly impossible to implement in the US, particularly in late Feb/early Mar)?

My opinion below:

For question 1, I'd answer yes, and for question 2, I'd answer a little.  There would have been some people that heeded the recommendation (maybe 20-30% of Americans) and it would have slowed things a little, but not as effectively as we've seen in other countries because of American ideals of freedom to do whatever they want, without regard to its impact on their fellow citizens.

History and context matter.  In early March, when things first started surging in the U.S., there was not yet much evidence that cloth masks, would have an impact whatsoever on the virus.  At that time, when we looked at most other countries and saw people out everyday wearing masks (e.g., Japan), it seems they were generally wearing medical grade  masks (N95 or other styles close to that level of protection). That seems to be a tradition in countries that were more effective at going to a full mask environment - I remember seeing people with those masks on several times in the past through previous flu, etc., epidemics.

I think Fauci and others did not want to see a large run on medical masks, not because they wouldn't help, but to keep supplies available for those that would definitely be facing COVID on the front lines - medical personnel.

As evidence came in that cloth masks had a measurable mitigating impact, you started to see recommendations.  Had Trump merely said that when he was instead rambling on about hydroxychloroquine and ingesting lysol, it would probably have had a positive impact. 

(My guess) I think Fauci was hesitant to recommend cloth masks early on before evidence was in of their usefulness since he may have thought "Americans will put on masks and just abandon all social distancing."  Had this happened and there was no impact on masks reducing the transmission rate, we would probably be worse off than we are now.  I think he did a risk mitigation analysis and went with the best possibilities based upon the scientific evidence at the time.  As additional data has come in, he's modified his statements.

Most high ranking doctors are generally risk adverse - sort of a like a societal implementation of "First do no harm".  Does that mean that some methods that would help get started later?  Yes. But beyond having people with ability to see the future, what do you recommend?

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Actually it appears UNC is well on their way to “team immunity”.  Should have kept workouts a few more days.  Then theyd be ready for some football.  

You can follow the same logic. Shouldn't be hard to find a few people who feel the same way. Grab a couple who have tested positive, get everybody in a small space and breathe on each other. You'll be ahead of the game and no one will suffer, with the possible exception of those who will suffer. Get on it, 84HuskerLaw!

1 hour ago, Rochelobe said:

2. Do you think if Fauci had come out in late February and said "please use masks" it would have mattered (by "use" I mean recommend, not require - I think a requirement would have been nearly impossible to implement in the US, particularly in late Feb/early Mar)?

My opinion below:

For question 1, I'd answer yes, and for question 2, I'd answer a little.  There would have been some people that heeded the recommendation (maybe 20-30% of Americans) and it would have slowed things a little, but not as effectively as we've seen in other countries because of American ideals of freedom to do whatever they want, without regard to its impact on their fellow citizens.

History and context matter. 

You are right, history and context matter. I think everyone I know was ready to wear masks in early March. We were pretty scared. And then we were told that they wouldn’t help for various reasons-and we believed them. We were told that a shut down was the only way, so we complied. We were given specific metrics that needed to obtained to started the phased system of reopening. So we started to reopen in late May, but my area did not progress to phase 3 as scheduled, and I think a return to phase 1 could happen anytime. For us, I think it’s not so much about hospitalizations as it is that 10% positivity rate. And yet masks are not required here and maybe 50% wear them on their own. Less then that maybe depending on where you are. 

I understand the entire country was probably not shut down like we were for 8 weeks. People are in the process of losing everything as I’m not sure how fast the oil/gas industry will return. Most are getting some help, but that can’t last forever. But just to restate, everyone complied fully.   

why won’t our governor require masks before moving us to phase 1?  We are listening. We’ve done everything that was asked. But I think it’s unfair to shame/blame people for not wearing masks when it’s not even required. Of course they’re suspicious. These has been some flip flopping on the topic. In March, I was told a mask would not prevent me from getting it. In June I’m told a mask would prevent me from giving it. Both of these are true. But everyone has to wear them to work for all of us. 

• Thanks 5
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can follow the same logic. Shouldn't be hard to find a few people who feel the same way. Grab a couple who have tested positive, get everybody in a small space and breathe on each other. You'll be ahead of the game and no one will suffer, with the possible exception of those who will suffer. Get on it, 84HuskerLaw!

That’s what I told people when LSU had like 50 players test positive right off the bat. That Coach O is an offensive genius! They will be ready to play late August. 

I'm not saying it's simple. Just that it's kinda simple.

In March most Americans were acting like COVID was a hoax, or at least an overblown threat. We didn't understand it.

Then it started killing a lot of people and overwhelming local healthcare systems. We could see it was real and serious.  We started to understand it better, and took some drastic action. The rest of the world did, too.

This flattened the curve as the experts predicted. But we realized the drastic action was crippling the economy, hurting people in different ways. We started to re-open the economy using what we learned.

What we learned was that masks, social distancing, and better hygiene made a significant difference. Re-opening could work,. But we still needed to avoid  super-spreader scenarios including sports, concerts, conventions, bars and parties. Indoor dining still looked sketchy.

That was still a lot to sacrifice, but from around the globe came evidence that these measures would get things back to normal a lot quicker.

Then a large chunk of America declared "f*ck that sh*t" and went back to square one. 

And here we are. 

• Plus1 4
42 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

You are right, history and context matter. I think everyone I know was ready to wear masks in early March. We were pretty scared. And then we were told that they wouldn’t help for various reasons-and we believed them. We were told that a shut down was the only way, so we complied. We were given specific metrics that needed to obtained to started the phased system of reopening. So we started to reopen in late May, but my area did not progress to phase 3 as scheduled, and I think a return to phase 1 could happen anytime. For us, I think it’s not so much about hospitalizations as it is that 10% positivity rate. And yet masks are not required here and maybe 50% wear them on their own. Less then that maybe depending on where you are. 

I understand the entire country was probably not shut down like we were for 8 weeks. People are in the process of losing everything as I’m not sure how fast the oil/gas industry will return. Most are getting some help, but that can’t last forever. But just to restate, everyone complied fully.   

why won’t our governor require masks before moving us to phase 1?  We are listening. We’ve done everything that was asked. But I think it’s unfair to shame/blame people for not wearing masks when it’s not even required. Of course they’re suspicious. These has been some flip flopping on the topic. In March, I was told a mask would not prevent me from getting it. In June I’m told a mask would prevent me from giving it. Both of these are true. But everyone has to wear them to work for all of us. 

Something hopeful: I saw a study that if 50% of people wear masks in public, then the transmission rate will be low enough to decrease the spread exponentially and prevent or minimize a second wave.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-masks-study/widespread-mask-wearing-could-prevent-covid-19-second-waves-study-shows-idUSKBN23G37V

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Something hopeful: I saw a study that if 50% of people wear masks in public, then the transmission rate will be low enough to decrease the spread exponentially and prevent or minimize a second wave.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-masks-study/widespread-mask-wearing-could-prevent-covid-19-second-waves-study-shows-idUSKBN23G37V

Dr. Fucci has been lying has a$$ off from the get go. if you are still covid free, keep doing as you are and ignore this quack.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1