Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

He didn't give a specific percentage because there was not research verifying that yet, but he did recommend masks as early as April 3rd.

Also, we would not be anywhere near herd immunity. The hardest hit areas have estimates of 5-15% of the population having the virus and their hospitals were overwhelmed. If we had just let this run wild it would have taken years to get herd immunity (look at the Spanish flu it took 3 years) and the deaths would not be the same. At the peak in NY and Italy the death rate was significantly higher than it is now because hospitals couldn't effectively treat people and more died. This would only accelerate with no attempt to slow it down. Sweden took the herd immunity route and they had deaths at rates three times higher per capita than their neighbors in a very rural country. And guess what? They are headed for their worst recession since WWII because people stayed home anyways and their economy is contracting 7% this year. And the final nail in the coffin for your herd immunity argument is that estimates show Sweden as a nation is at 6-14% immunity right now indicating they have a LONG way to go before they are anywhere near herd immunity. In the scientific community Sweden's approach is looked at as a certified failure.

Stop using your herd immunity argument it's wrong and there are absolutely no facts to back it up.

I agree.  Sweden went for the herd immunity approach.

The results: 7359 cases/million, 545 deaths/million

For comparison, the US is currently at 9723 cases/million, 410 deaths/million

Other Scandinavian countries (which followed more formal lockdowns/masking/social distancing):

Denmark: 2230 cases/million, 105 deaths/million

Finland: 1313 cases/million, 59 deaths/million

Norway: 1653 cases/million, 46 deaths/million

Since May 31:

Norway is averaging <10 new positive cases/day,

Finland is averaging ~40 new positive cases/day (down to <10 since mid June)

Denmark is averaging ~35 new positive cases/day

Sweden is averaging ~1000 new positive cases/day

Sweden actually had a surge in June, and just in the last week or two they've finally started to drop.

Provided doctors can develop treatments, wide open herd immunity would kill a lot more people than masking/social distancing: 

(1) too many sick at once - hospitals can't do proper treatment

(2) not enough time to develop mitigating treatments

However, if your goal is to maximize the number of victims, herd immunity is a great solution

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm starting to wonder if I want a season that will prove absolutely nothing, be loaded with asterisks, and covered like a joyless exercise  played out in near-empty stadiums.

Interestingly enough, I'm still leaning "yes." 

Can you imagine burning a red shirt for it? 

@krc1995 You're allowed to play four games and still keep the redshirt. With only 10 games, that's 40% of the season. I can't imagine they'll actually burn any redshirts unless absolutely necessary.

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

@krc1995 You're allowed to play four games and still keep the redshirt. With only 10 games, that's 40% of the season. I can't imagine they'll actually burn any redshirts unless absolutely necessary.

Also heard they’re tossing around the idea of allowing 6 games played and still maintaining RS year.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Also heard they’re tossing around the idea of allowing 6 games played and still maintaining RS year.

I’ve wondered about that. So if you’ve had a RS, you can have 2? It’s just kind of a scrimmage year then? 

and I know you probably don’t have have the answers, just thinking out loud. 

4 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

Seriously!?!?!!?

Improving treatments which improve survival means no additional lives saved?

So no medicine anywhere that ever saves anyone from dying is actually worth it, since the patient will eventually die anyway (from old age if nothing else)

So, I have a situation where I know 10000 people will get the virus. 

Scenario 1: I do nothing to stop the spread and all 10000 get it in the first month, with a death rate of 5%, meaning 500 people die.  Of course your fanciful herd immunity thing is in effect. 

Scenario 2: I enforce wearing masks, doing social distancing, etc and instead of all 10000 getting it the first month, we spread it out over 10 months, with 1000 per month getting it.  During that time, doctors learn about various techniques/medicines that are able to mitigate many of the bad effects of the virus.  So as each month goes by, there is a slight decrease in the death rate, say from 5% the first month down to 1% by the 10th month.  So lets assume the average is 3% over the 10 months.  In that situation only 300 people die.

There is evidence that doctors are learning about treatments that can lower the death rate.  While not proven yet, it could really help with lowering the overall number of deaths, at the cost of making the period of masking/social distancing go on for longer.

I guess the people that are saved in scenario 2 are not important to you. 

When the hospitals overflow in scenario 1, who gets to decided who lives and who dies (who gets treatment and who doesn't)? 

Again you are hoping and praying and assuming Drs find a cure or

preventative vaccine.  History says very unlikely.  Even Fauci says so.  

Early on, the death rate was higher than it appears currently to be.  This was most likely due to the higher co-morbidities of the winter cold/flu/pneumonia months of Feb//mar/apr., combined with Drs being given bad advice on treatment/therapies (ventilators overused, etc) and many misdiagnosed cases early on from lack of good testing and deaths caused by mismanaged placement of covid patients in nursing homes.  40% of deaths there.  

One more point:   if there is no herd immunity then deaths will continue unabated until vaccine.  its not complicated or Devine intervention (you wouldnt believe in that either ?).  

We string this thing out into another fall/winter/spring deaths will spike.  And, with hospitals and Drs and DDs etc all shutdown to many non virus functions, death rates and co-morbidities are increasing too.  For example, most cancers’ fatality rates go up around 10% per month delay in discovery or treatment.  Similar #s for heart diseases.  We are already in this for 4 1/2 mos.  Still cant get appointments for many elective / non-emergency things, routine physicals,  eye care, dental, mental etc.  Hospitals in upstate NY laid off staff in April/May for want of patients.  Had some covids and very few others - fear and delay in even seeking care mostly. 

We also don't know how many have had the virus already.  #s on the multipliers vary between 10 and 65.  Data is not published or, God forbid, Fauci is not testing for this inexplicably.  We could be around 30 million or up to 130 million which would be fantastic news.  Death rates are very low at those numbers 0.01%.  Certainly in line with other illnesses we find a way to live with all the time.  

Drs have learned some things about covid 19 which has helped.  I feel Fauci and the world’s experts should have known a bad virus would be deadly to sickly, old people.  Common sense and experience should have warranted extreme caution and quarantine of those people immediately.  

We won’t agree on these issues and as football chances are fading like a mirage across the horizon, we all want to live no doubt.  We see different risks and outcomes with paths chosen.  We may never know for sure whose correct.  Maybe some of both. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm starting to wonder if I want a season that will prove absolutely nothing, be loaded with asterisks, and covered like a joyless exercise  played out in near-empty stadiums.

Interestingly enough, I'm still leaning "yes." 

At this point...Give me a virtual full season via xbox over a 5 game (my estimate) season played in empty stadiums. Sure it would be weird, but it would be a season with the best asterisk ever

On a side note, Dr. Fauci has replaced C. Everett Coop at the top of my list of doctors that I've seen the most on tv

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

At this point...Give me a virtual full season via xbox over a 5 game (my estimate) season played in empty stadiums. Sure it would be weird, but it would be a season with the best asterisk ever

On a side note, Dr. Fauci has replaced C. Everett Coop at the top of my list of doctors that I've seen the most on tv

Dr House would a solved this but not without a couple blunderous insults along the way.  

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

I have seen this concept mentioned a few times and I am seriously trying to understand where the sentiment comes from.  What am I missing?  Why would anybody care about a video game simulated game? Especially when compared to an actual game with actual players? I am just at a loss because, for instance, the spring game was completely stupid.. I understand why they did it but my interest in it and take away from it amounted to absolutely nothing. If they could have played a spring game, ya, it still wouldn't have meant anything, but I follow Husker sports because I like to watch our athletes on the field, so even that would have been 100 times more interesting for me. So if given the option of watching the boys play Purdue or letting code dictate that game, it's a no brainer for me.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I’ve wondered about that. So if you’ve had a RS, you can have 2? It’s just kind of a scrimmage year then? 

and I know you probably don’t have have the answers, just thinking out loud. 

If there’s *ANY* football this season, it had better not count towards eligibility. For ANY player.

First, we’re looking at a truncated season, which isn’t fair for the players. 

Second, most of your bowl destinations (well...the good ones anyway) are in COVID epicenters. Florida, Texas, Arizona...all COVID up with no indication it will get any better thanks to the Karens and Kevins that throw tantrums about masks and social distancing. 

Chances are unless there are measures that are enforced to keep the infection low...there won’t be bowl games (or a championship).

Third, if kids start having to be quarantined and miss weeks of ball...not to mention if they get the bad version of this and are laid up for more than a few weeks or get long term complications (e.g. organ failure, having to amputate, brain damage) then the NCAA will have a s***storm of epic proportions on its hands if they try to hold it against player eligibility.

Either we have football and it’s just a meaningless conference-only exercise with zero stakes or implications, or we don’t have it at all. 

• Plus1 2