Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

yeah, ok, tell that to the guy laying at the bottom of the pile!.....sweat, fogged up face mask, hand to hand/body contact through the whole game, breathing hard, spitting, etc...body fluids and breathing vectors everywhere waiting for transmission. the mask is useless, maybe a feel good exercise at best. like using a bandana for a face mask.

I think maybe some perspective is in order here.  Does the guy at the bottom of the pile have geriatric parents or a diabetic roommate?  If not, I imagine being in a mass of humanity after a gang-tackle would statistically carry more potential health detriment.

6 minutes ago, GISker said:

High-ranking college official says “no one is playing football in the fall”

Additionally, a Power 5 coach said, “I think the season being canceled is a foregone conclusion.”

By Jason Marcum 

on July 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Here's the tweet:

• Plus1 1

We did not get a vote of confidence from our State association for HS football.  Says proceeding as if we will play but that could change daily. Said they are working on plans for a number of things including late start, short season, stoppage during season or cancellation.  Cited Big 10 and Ivy league.  Add Pac 12 and Patriot league today.

40 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Here's the tweet:

What will happen to Huskerboard:ahhhhhhhh   No real games to play. 

I got an idea,  we'll play videos of all of the 1994-1997 games & discuss them. We can also throw in 1999, 81-83 and 70-71.   We'll suddenly feel that we are those teams again - yea bring on LSU, Clemson, and Bama now - it doesn't matter the order.  :restore:bonez:power:throwdabones1::3DN:

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Branno said:

This type of attitude is the reason we won't have college football in the fall.

Feel like I need to defend myself a bit. I am a business owner in Lincoln and we started masking up all day every day in Mid March. I am a staunch mask supporter.. In fact, I so much so that I truly think football could be played safely with the masks, plastic shields and negative Friday tests to walk onto the field. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

What will happen to Huskerboard:ahhhhhhhh   No real games to play. 

I got an idea,  we'll play videos of all of the 1994-1997 games & discuss them. We can also throw in 1999, 81-83 and 70-71.   We'll suddenly feel that we are those teams again - yea bring on LSU, Clemson, and Bama now - it doesn't matter the order.  :restore:bonez:power:throwdabones1::3DN:

Already got you covered, my man: 

• Plus1 1

Because, apparently its just like WWII, I guess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/07/10/lou-holtz-fox-news-normandy-college-football-season/5414975002/

"People stormed Normandy," Holtz said to host Laura Ingraham. "They knew there was going to be casualties, they knew there was gonna be risk. ... It's our way of living, look at it from both points of view. The risk is always there. But you cannot just look at it from one side.

I understand what he means about risk, but its always a lot easier to say that when the speaker doesn't have to take the risk.

Later, regarding the Big Ten's move to conference only for this season:

"But let me tell you the devastating effect is the non-power conference schools. ... Louisiana Tech, they used to play Baylor, Vanderbilt, those aren't going to happen. Those were very, very important."

Skip Holtz coaches at La Tech, so I guess that is why he picked them.  I just thought it was funny that he picked a team that has its non conference P5 matchups against two conferences (Big XII, SEC) that haven't yet moved to conference only schedules. 

• Plus1 1

I like Lou Holtz and have admired him for a long time. But I think his argument with reference to Normandy and WW2 would have been more effective if he used the cancelling of college football due to WW2 (a national crisis to defeat an enemy) instead of the risk equation. In my view, when soldiers left the Higgins landing craft to storm Utah and Omaha beaches, they were leaving their safe space which calls out the snowflake generation who like their bully proof windows and troll safe doors. 

I think a more effective analogy would have been "life is a series of risks" or "reality carries with it risks that are unknown". But what do I know. I am just an anonymous internet critic who enjoys Husker football. 

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

negative Friday tests to walk onto the field. 

Unfortunately it's not that simple.  Negative on Friday doesn't mean you didn't contract the virus on Wednesday or Thursday.  The incubation period is thought to be in the 2-5 day range and possibly up to 10 IIRC.  To make matters worse, people are also thought to be contagious a day or two prior to developing symptoms.

• Plus1 4