Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

As of right now we’re opening with masks. Of course that’s subject to change.  Most fall high school sports have been delayed- except swimming abs volleyball

how are we going to high school kids to wear mask?  We can’t even get them to wear their uniforms rights?  We have a high school in a poor district with 1700+ students.  Not sure what the penalty will be- arrest? 

Sorry, saw your post and used it as an opportunity to rant. 

Yeah, I have no idea.  I really don't.

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think Jamie Pollard's letter is a must read on the subject. Priority one is the health and wellbeing of the student athletes, and the best interests of the student athletes. The money made from football/basketball helps the university: feed, house, provide medical care, provide mental health services, provide academic help. Without that revenue, it will directly effect athletes access to those necessities. Could Covid negatively effect the health and wellbeing of the student athletes - absolutely. Could not playing sports negatively effect the health and wellbeing of the students athletes - absolutely. Another reason the conf only schedule makes more sense. Everything needs to be under complete control for the health of the student athletes. Having South Dakota St come down, and not knowing their testing protocols or if they all ate at a Dennys the morning of the game - that's an unnecessary risk - with very little reward. Minnesota comes to town, we know the players have been tested under B1G guidelines. Meals provided by a certain company at a certain hotel. Transportation provided under B1G guidelines. Risk is much more controlled.

Pollard Letter:

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2020/07/jamie-pollard-pens-letter-to-fans-detailing-financial-ramifications-in-event-fall-sports-are-canceled/

It’s a good read.  I bet several universities are wishing they had invested in a “rainy day fund “ like NU did.  NU probably wishes it had even more in theirs.   Maybe this should have been done in order for all these programs to continue to provide these services for the athletes instead of choosing to invest in fancy stadiums/facilities and outlandish coaches salaries.   Even though all that “frivolous “ spending is widespread and more of a systemic problem, it’s really hard for me to feel sorry for any CFB program.   

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Others have already mentioned that the deaths lag the cases by several weeks. There is an uptick in the daily death rate over the past week that suggests the death rate is going back up. Note that the data in this image is a few days old and I don't see a more current image I can paste here, but you can check the updated data at this site: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

US-deaths_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqDAoCN0zt2fIW

New York Times seems to keep theirs pretty up to date, last day on here is the 12th. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

723897955_ScreenShot2020-07-14at1_07_41PM.thumb.png.58789c63acb5d0ce016b4267c5a2572f.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

You say "Terrified of illness"

I say "not taking a pandemic seriously enough". 

I meant in general.

Unpopular hot take - we've surpassed natural selection as a species, and now everyone riots when money/power/whining/complaining/community spirit can't stop the circle of life because they're entitled to it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

What are the reports from the hospitals Waldo? I am supposed to travel to the Valley next week? Lots of cases, and finally some compliance on masks...anything else you have noticed?

It hasn’t been below 90 for 7 days lol. Just bring underwear and some crocs. 
The hospitals were at like 80-90% capacity the last I heard. I don’t follow the Covid news all that much, as I mostly work from home. Most restaurants are still open, just need to be masked up. People are definitely taking this more seriously after the Memorial Day spike. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That's my go to look! 

image.png.a317ce734d862fe762fc114948468058.png

20 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The hospitals were at like 80-90% capacity the last I heard. I don’t follow the Covid news all that much, as I mostly work from home. Most restaurants are still open, just need to be masked up. People are definitely taking this more seriously after the Memorial Day spike. 

But seriously, thanks for the update. We are packing extra masks, and intend to cook at our rental as much as possible. 

6 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

No, but I appreciate the straw man. 

I said masks are important. I said COVID is serious. I don't understand where we took a fork in the road as a society and became terrified of illness. 

This is a straw man argument.

No one us terrified of being sick. This isn’t about runny noses.  We’re doing our best to prevent the unnecessary deaths of 3 million people. 

How someone can be so callous as to hand wave away that many deaths I don’t understand. You must be privileged enough not to have experienced real loss in your life. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

If positive cases are continuing to reach record highs, why is the death rate continuing to drop?  Something just doesn't line up.  Data like this makes me very optimistic about a season-   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/07102020/nchs-mortality-report.html  If this trend continues, what would the justification be for cancelling?

It’s not dropping. Deaths rates trail infection rates. We’re looking at death rates from infections 3 weeks ago not today. 

Deaths will spike here in about 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Sure it does. Imagine a scenario where we didn't realize how many people were actually COVID-positive but we DID know exactly how many people died from it; the math is simple. The denominator in the math equation is now considerably bigger, making the ratio drop.

That’s one, albeit incorrect, way to look at it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Undone said:

Just to clarify - and I'm being serious - do you know what a fraction is?

Yes, I understand how math works.

Just to clarify, and I’m being serious, do you understand that someone who gets COVID-19 doesn’t immediately die?

You are dividing last months deaths by today’s number of infections. It’s just bad data analysis. 

1 minute ago, Branno said:

Yes, I understand how math works.

Phew. That was a close one.

I was explaining to Hilltop the overarching concept in a vacuum. I am very much aware of the 'lagging indicator' factor, yeah.

Death rate (IFR) figures have steadily decreased over the last two months. If they start climbing back, we'll analyze that phenomenon if & when it occurs.

• Plus1 2