Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

19 hours ago, Undone said:

You can still reach herd immunity, though. But I think people don't even understand what the definition of herd immunity is. It doesn't mean that once you reach it that the illness is eradicated. It just means that there's sufficient immunity such that the herd can't be killed off - made extinct - and that a drastically smaller amount of infections occur.

It actually just means enough of the population is immune to the disease that the disease can no longer spread.  Depending on the virus, sometimes you CAN get herd immunity to a high enough level that the disease is eradicated, aka polio, smallpox, etc. Some virus' are tougher buggers and you can only get herd immunity to high enough levels that the virus' still exist but can't run rampant through a population, ie measles. Outbreaks of these virus' occur in clusters here and there because populations that have been protected by herd immunity start believing the these virus' no longer pose a threat and opt out of simple measures to keep them a non threat, ie vaccination, leading to a drop in overall numbers of "immune" people in the population which allows virus' again to snag a foothold and begin spreading again.  Moral of the story.. If you can be vaccinated, get vaccinated.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

A human life is currently valued at 10 million dol

But my wife told me I am worthless. Wait til she finds out about this. This will make me look pretty good. No wait, I had better not even mention this as greedy as she is. 

• Haha 7
14 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

I am thinking of Fantastic Voyage. We could put Affleck, who is a virologist who knows everything about this virus, but has a daring plan, as he knows a guy who secretly works for the govt who has such a method of making you so small that you can get in a human body. This guy is an expert in nano-humanism, and he gives the secret to Affleck. Then they get in a machine, minaturize it, inject it into a person who has C19, watch him and a few all-star cast like they did in the past movies, give us thrills and ongoing suspense with CGI,  drill into the nucleus of the virus, then come back with the "secrets of the virus" that will give us the immediate vaccine that will protect us all and save college football.

But there is the subplot of the govt official trying to protect the govt's secrets of doing such and they do not want that secret out until the antagonists daughter gets the virus and needs the vaccine to live. Only then is he willing to give up the govt's secret and gives the technology to do such. 

lolololol, i see im not the only one who went wake and bake to start my hump day? love it!!

5 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

But my wife told me I am worthless. Wait til she finds out about this. This will make me look pretty good. No wait, I had better not even mention this as greedy as she is. 

Was going to say, I have several family members I would offer up in exchange for 10 mil....

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

It actually just means enough of the population is immune to the disease that the disease can no longer spread.

I don't love going on tangents on this forum over minutia & semantics in general. But, I believe what you said isn't necessarily entirely true. I grabbed this definition from wikipedia (feel free to cherry pick a different definition from your source of choice):

"Herd immunity (also called herd effect, community immunity, population immunity, or social immunity) is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that occurs when a large percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, whether through vaccination or previous infections, thereby providing a measure of protection for individuals who are not immune.[1][2] In a population in which a large proportion of individuals possess immunity, such people being unlikely to contribute to disease transmission, chains of infection are more likely to be disrupted, which either stops or slows the spread of disease.[3] The greater the proportion of immune individuals in a community, the smaller the probability that non-immune individuals will come into contact with an infectious individual, helping to shield non-immune individuals from infection."

So, it does say "...which either stops or slows the spread of disease." 

Given this particular snippet, we're probably both right.   :)

25 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not necessarily. As hard as it is to discuss, there is actually a value placed on a human life, and all lives count as the same value. It is necessary equation used in a lot of areas we don't think about, from insurance policies to hazard pay.  A human life is currently valued at 10 million dollars.  That's the brutal variable used to decide if the economic loss outweighs the loss of life.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/835571843/episode-991-lives-vs-the-economy#:~:text=Economists say each human life is worth about %2410 million dollars.

Husker03, you just don't care about my vulnerable <insert_vulnerable_relative_here>, do you?!

54 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not necessarily. As hard as it is to discuss, there is actually a value placed on a human life, and all lives count as the same value. It is necessary equation used in a lot of areas we don't think about, from insurance policies to hazard pay.  A human life is currently valued at 10 million dollars.  That's the brutal variable used to decide if the economic loss outweighs the loss of life.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/835571843/episode-991-lives-vs-the-economy#:~:text=Economists say each human life is worth about %2410 million dollars.

Interesting. I’ll have to find that episode on NPR’s podcast for more details. Logically, surely not all lives are worth 10 million? If we’re going to just reduce us into numbers anyway, I would think a 35 year old man with kids would be worth more than an 80 year old women. 

• Plus1 1

In a press conference yesterday with all the Louisiana leaders and VP Mike Pence, several cited Coach Orgeron  as the reason Louisiana bars closed on Monday 

To paraphrase: 

Summer conditioning started, no players had Covid. Conditioning starts guys met up, got stupid and went to bars, and now half of them got it.  

And then, this comment by coach O: 

“We had a little spike, [the trainers and medical staff] handled it well, our numbers are way down,” Orgeron explained. “That number 30 was not correct, it was inaccurate, I don’t know who said that, it wasn’t that high but we did have a little spike. Now it’s going down, I think it’s under control. I think that so it’s a fairly low number right now that we’re very pleased with and it looks like everything is going smooth for us.”

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

In a press conference yesterday with all the Louisiana leaders and VP Mike Pence, several cited Coach Orgeron  as the reason Louisiana bars closed on Monday 

To paraphrase: 

Summer conditioning started, no players had Covid. Conditioning starts guys met up, got stupid and went to bars, and now half of them got it.  

And then, this comment by coach O: 

“We had a little spike, [the trainers and medical staff] handled it well, our numbers are way down,” Orgeron explained. “That number 30 was not correct, it was inaccurate, I don’t know who said that, it wasn’t that high but we did have a little spike. Now it’s going down, I think it’s under control. I think that so it’s a fairly low number right now that we’re very pleased with and it looks like everything is going smooth for us.”

And in true crazier fashion...he was raked over the coals on social media.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

And in true crazier fashion...he was raked over the coals on social media.  

For which one and by whom? 

not doubting, but I want to see it for myself. 

an entire industry was shutdown on Monday because some(?)  football players tested positive. At least that’s what at least 2 state decision makers said. 

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

For which one and by whom? 

not doubting, but I want to see it for myself. 

an entire industry was shutdown on Monday because some(?)  football players tested positive. At least that’s what at least 2 state decision makers said. 

Twitter replies, according to the radio hosts that were talking about it today.  I think it was more about him saying the country needs/wants college football.  

2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, because some people have made the mask requirement a political issue, when it is really just the seatbelt law, the motorcycle helmet law

Given that the risk is to others and not just to yourself, a much better comparison would be to drunk driving law. People keep trying to make this an individual liberty issue, but by definition a pandemic is never just an individual issue.

• Plus1 7