Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Man, its almost like, gasp, FOOTBALL. As you learn how your opponent has game planned against you, you have to change what you are doing to find what works. --- I think we fired a few coaches pretty much because they couldn't adapt strategies to new information... Those who don't adapt to new information are destined for defeat. 

You're exactly right.

I'll bet the same people complaining about the changing recommendations just HATE halftime adjustments. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm relating it to what you're relating it to, vis-a-vis this thread. If you weren't talking about masks, what were you talking about?

Because - and this is a hilarious story that you're going to get a huge kick out of - masks have been shown to be effective at stopping the spread of this pandemic in its tracks. From country to country to country the world over. It's why medical experts in America are stressing them now.

l7AoyAW.gif

Good quote for you by Inna Vishik PHD Applied Physics & Physics at Stanford

all too often, science is presented as trafficking in absolute truths. On the contrary, science is a framework for interpreting, systematizing, and predicting nature based on empirical observations. That is to say, a well accepted ‘theory’

• Fire 1
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Good quote for you by Inna Vishik PHD Applied Physics & Physics at Stanford

all too often, science is presented as trafficking in absolute truths. On the contrary, science is a framework for interpreting, systematizing, and predicting nature based on empirical observations. That is to say, a well accepted ‘theory’

Good thing nobody here is claiming absolute truth then, huh?

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would love to debate this further but I dont see it going anywhere and no one else wants to see us discuss science for the next 50 pages.

I bet it wouldn't take more than a half a page and about 5 minutes for the debate to be finished.

The argument, however, could go on and on...

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good thing nobody here is claiming absolute truth then, huh?

If you read my first posts on this. My comments were all related to my problem with science was that people claim it as scientific FACT and anyone who disagrees with science does not like facts. But science is an educated guess or "accepted theory" per the stanford physics PHD. 

If you re-read my post that was my complaint from the beginning was the people who make those statements about science. I was not calling out anyone particularly on this board. It was a general complaint about people in real life, message boards, facebook or whatever platform. It has become pretty common practice to see people in society use that argument.

1 minute ago, 307husker said:

I bet it wouldn't take more than a half a page and about 5 minutes for the debate to be finished.

The argument, however, could go on and on...

Your right it would be over. It already is. Do you have any formal education in science that trumps the stanford PHD in applied physics and physics that basically said science does not provide facts but accepted theories? Which as we know theories are proven wrong over time all the time. 

Before I get into my opinion on this argument, I want to make sure we all get on the same page when it comes to terminology. Stolen wholesale from lifehacker.com because they stated this way better than I was going to:

• Fact: Observations about the world around us. Example: “It’s bright outside."
  • Hypothesis: A proposed explanation for a phenomenon made as a starting point for further investigation. Example: “It’s bright outside because the sun is probably out.”
  • Theory: A well-substantiated explanation acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. Example: “When the sun is out, it tends to make it bright outside.”
  • Law: A statement based on repeated experimental observations that describes some phenomenon of nature. Proof that something happens and how it happens, but not why it happens. Example: Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation.
50 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have no problem with the process of discovery. I have a problem when someone states something as fact and ridicules others as if its blasphemy because science says so.

I have a problem when someone uses the process of discovery as an excuse to not follow guidance from scientific leaders.

This is the exact line of reasoning that leads to people who:

• Don't wear a mask
  • Don't socially distance
  • Take their covid-19 positive children to school/daycare
  • Believe vaccines give you autism
  • Believe the earth is flat (in 2020)

But let's take a deeper dive at the language used:

I have a problem when someone states something as fact

Remember, facts are things we can directly observe. So, what facts are being stated that are in fact false? That infections in the US are going up? That deaths in the US are going up? These are things that can be observed, and are thus facts.

Maybe the intent was that we take hypotheses too seriously.

and ridicules others as if its blasphemy because science says so.

This appears to be the crux of your argument, that you believe all opinions are equally valid and we should treat them as such.

I don't agree with this suggestion, and never will. Maybe y'all will think I'm an a$$h@!e, but I'm going to side with the people that have MDs and PhDs over our Donald "it is what it is" Trump and his enablers.

In normal times, this is something we could have a real substantive debate over. For example, I'm not going to ridicule someone for not believing in evolution and I'm willing to have a good faith debate over it. 

But when the world is collapsing around us, the time to debate is over. We need to take seriously any guidance given to us by the people who know the most, and if that guidance changes over time we need to be agile. Far too many people are not willing to take this guidance seriously, and it is directly causing hundreds of thousands of Americans to lose their lives.

And that is where we come back to "ridicules others". Let's say you're in a burning building and a firefighter is telling you to leave the room. If you refuse to listen to the expert, you kind of deserve to be ridiculed.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Your right it would be over. It already is. Do you have any formal education in science that trumps the stanford PHD in applied physics and physics that basically said science does not provide facts but accepted theories? Which as we know theories are proven wrong over time all the time. 

Isn't there a tangent thread this ranting against science can be moved to? Mods? Anyone? 

Is this thing on?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Branno said:

Devil's advocate here. Maybe it's time for this thread to die.

There's an argument for that. There's another argument that says this thread is going to act as a de facto Tangent thread, and if this one is closed all this stuff spreads to another thread. 

2 minutes ago, Branno said:

Devil's advocate here. Maybe it's time for this thread to die.

I disagree.  While a lot of the back and forth isn't productive, this a good place for people to vent, and share any new football or covid related information. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

We've known masks are effective at slowing the spread since March. That hasn't changed, other countries have mandated masks and have slowed spread to a crawl, and they're going to be opening up again soon.

America has been too full of hubris and political nonsense to act in a unified manner, so here we are in late July still with no mask mandate and with Fall sports all but done. 

The people who haven't been wearing masks and haven't been practicing good social distancing are listening to the WRONG information. And yet, when this is all over, they won't have learned their lesson and they'll go back to those same sources because this is nothing if not a bull-headed, stubborn nation.

Arizona starts mandating masks on June 18th, cases peak less than 3 weeks later on July 7th, cases continue to trend downward sense the mandates. Masks work.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.09.07 PM.png

• Plus1 2