Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I disagree.  While a lot of the back and forth isn't productive, this a good place for people to vent, and share any new football or covid related information. 

Is this the best place to vent about covid-19? What does this thread have to do about football at this point?

27 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Your right it would be over. It already is. Do you have any formal education in science that trumps the stanford PHD in applied physics and physics that basically said science does not provide facts but accepted theories? Which as we know theories are proven wrong over time all the time. 

I have enough formal training in science (terminal degree in healthcare related field) to fully realize that you have none.  Your misunderstanding of the word theory is a good case in point.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Arizona stats mandating masks on June 18th, cases peak less than 3 weeks later on July 7th, cases continue to trend downward sense the mandates. Masks work.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.09.07 PM.png

IF this trend continues, It is going to be data like this that will eventually win people over.  The problem is there are several states without mandates that have a very similar curve and others with mask mandates that are still increasing.  I think the numbers we see over the next 30-60 days should be more telling as mask mandates are being more enforced in some areas.    

@Huskers93-97 seems to take issue with things that aren't facts being presented as facts.

What's not clear however, is if the issue is with the language of 'fact' or if it's with things that have overwhelming evidence of being true being treated as if they're true.

Gravity isn't a fact. Gravity is a theory. But we operate in the world and communicate and live as if gravity is a FACT. Is this something you don't like? Newtonian physics are wrong, but we still use them all the time because they're useful and they work for what we need them to. Do we take offense to people claiming that newton math is a fact?

The use of 'facts' in every day life, much like the use of proof, is one of utility. Because facts and proof don't actually exist. The doctor at Stanford agrees with this, as does every scientist.

You can't prove that things will always fall down when dropped. You can't prove that energy is conserved. You can't prove that stars are far away. You can't even prove that we're really here. But you can collect evidence. And you collect more and more, bigger and bigger piles, and when the piles get big enough you operate in the world in a way that you take them for granted. That's what a scientific theory is. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Branno said:

Is this the best place to vent about covid-19? What does this thread have to do about football at this point?

Honestly everything imo.  Covid-19 is controlling the entire football (and all other sports) conversation.  There is a reason we are all on this thread frequently.  

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

IF this trend continues, It is going to be data like this that will eventually win people over.  The problem is there are several states without mandates that have a very similar curve and others with mask mandates that are still increasing.  I think the numbers we see over the next 30-60 days should be more telling as mask mandates are being more enforced in some areas.    

I totally agree and there are a ton of different things like closures, state population, etc. that effect things, but Arizona was one of the first states with an outbreak to give in to masks and this is the result. I am watching Texas next as their mandate was between 2 and 3 weeks ago and they are showing signs of slowing, but time will tell.

23 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Your right it would be over. It already is. Do you have any formal education in science that trumps the stanford PHD in applied physics and physics that basically said science does not provide facts but accepted theories? Which as we know theories are proven wrong over time all the time

One of the things that I was told when I was in school was this: what we teach you today is what we know today; and what we teach you today, 50% of it will be demonstrated to either be wrong, not quite correct, or our understanding of it will change to reflect new findings that adds to it or takes things away from it. The problem is that we do not know what that 50% is. 

As far as this thread is concerned:

1. I have learned a lot from it and enjoy the many perspectives whether I agree or not as we are Americans who love to argue; 

2. the things that are discussed from a clinical-scientific aspect is pertinent to the enterprise of football being played as we are talking about student-athlete performance or the ability to perform; I tend to shy away from the political discussion and finger pointing because the blame game is always the easy play. But conspiracy theories involving football are always good.

3. this topic, since it is THE topic that is affecting the ability of football to be played, needs to be discussed;

4. the elimination of this topic or closing of this thread will not make the football season suddenly be played on time;

5. this is a fluid situation and there does need to be one single thread to discuss this matter whether it gets to be a 1000 pages because other topics can be dedicated to a single topic such as "who is the greatest water-boy in Husker history who had a medulla oblongata?" 

One comment was: [There's another argument that says this thread is going to act as a de facto Tangent thread, and if this one is closed all this stuff spreads to another thread.]

Much like the virus, keep it contained but I doubt we can mitigate the virus of arguing nor will we flatten the curve on arguing about this. Just think, you will be able to tell tall tales of how you survived without college football someday.

Grandson: Grandpa, what did you do during the Great Pandemic of 2020?

You: I was on the front lines combating that disease with all the firepower I could muster; a lot of lives depended on me.

Grandson: did you see a lot of action?

You: of course grandson; it was tough, a lot of big decisions had to be made by me that affected a lot of people's lives.

Grandson: did you survive without football?

You: let me tell you, it comes down to your inner strength, discipline and above all hope that you will succeed.

Grandma in the background: do not listen to him; all he did was sit in front of a computer arguing about it all day with his buddies on HuskerBoard.com; when football was cancelled he cried like a baby for a month and all he did was watch old Husker videos of the 1990's arguing about how covid ruined his life. He was pathetic. Front lines, oh yeah. I still have the psychiatric bills to prove he was a mess. 

I am just thankful that I live in a country that we can argue and discuss without fear although the cancel culture is going on strong and is playing some part in this whole thing as well. Reason? The college presidents do not want to be the next #getridofhim on social media for a student-athletes health going wrong. So there is a socio-cultural aspect that is being built into this whole calculus. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Not sure about football, but soccer is successfully holding a pretty big event right now.  Seems to be the closest thing to football that's actually trying to hold some sort of season/tournament.  It may serve as some level of evidence if they can pull it off.  

I think comparing "MLS is Back Tournament" to NFL is more accurate. The MLS is a professional league, using the bubble strategy like the NBA. There's a bubble, there's smaller rosters, there is no travel, there is unified leadership. College Football is going to be an entirely different beast

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Arizona starts mandating masks on June 18th, cases peak less than 3 weeks later on July 7th, cases continue to trend downward sense the mandates. Masks work.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.09.07 PM.png

Logically, I would think masks help slow the spread. 

but what other measures are also being mandated? Be careful when you pull out one set of numbers to draw conclusions from. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Logically, I would think masks help slow the spread. 

but what other measures are also being mandated? Be careful when you pull out one set of numbers to draw conclusions from. 

That's a fair criticism for sure. About a week before that peak, the governor also added in the closing of bars, indoor gyms, fitness clubs or centers, indoor movie theaters, waterparks and tubing operations. So, you can certainly imagine those contributed to the slow down, but as they only happened about a week before the peak they likely weren't the cause of the initial downturn because of the incubation time and testing delays.

Considering those were the only changes from the cases taking off and then peaking and slowing down it's definitely safe to say that closing high touch/close proximity businesses and masks have contributed to the ease of the spread.

However, you can look at other countries as they've reopened places like gyms and movie theaters. Many haven't seen a major rise in cases, but they do still require masks.

• Fire 1