Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Rutgers planning out their stadium capacity indicates there is going to be something going on in the stadium.  Are they moving hard and fast on your all conference season?

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Arizona starts mandating masks on June 18th, cases peak less than 3 weeks later on July 7th, cases continue to trend downward sense the mandates. Masks work.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.09.07 PM.png

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I totally agree and there are a ton of different things like closures, state population, etc. that effect things, but Arizona was one of the first states with an outbreak to give in to masks and this is the result. I am watching Texas next as their mandate was between 2 and 3 weeks ago and they are showing signs of slowing, but time will tell.

Then I guess AZ was also the first state to widely ignore a mask mandate.
I keep record when I enter a small business, 1 out of every 3 patrons is masked at best. Big business box stores don't let you in without one.  My favorite is the bars.  the governor closed "the bars" but not restaurants that serve alcohol.  I discovered that some of the bars I've been frequenting have been restaurants all along even though I never recall seeing a menu. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think comparing "MLS is Back Tournament" to NFL is more accurate. The MLS is a professional league, using the bubble strategy like the NBA. There's a bubble, there's smaller rosters, there is no travel, there is unified leadership. College Football is going to be an entirely different beast

Absolutely true.  But it is possibly the most relevant comparison that we have at the moment.  I agree that it would be nearly impossible to use the same strategy with college football.

At least it appears to be going well.  If it wasn't, I would have even less optimism for sports of any kind this fall.

32 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

That's a fair criticism for sure. About a week before that peak, the governor also added in the closing of bars, indoor gyms, fitness clubs or centers, indoor movie theaters, waterparks and tubing operations. So, you can certainly imagine those contributed to the slow down, but as they only happened about a week before the peak they likely weren't the cause of the initial downturn because of the incubation time and testing delays.

Considering those were the only changes from the cases taking off and then peaking and slowing down it's definitely safe to say that closing high touch/close proximity businesses and masks have contributed to the ease of the spread.

However, you can look at other countries as they've reopened places like gyms and movie theaters. Many haven't seen a major rise in cases, but they do still require masks.

Agree.  But masks only work if there is 100% compliance. Ok maybe not 100%, but most. 

I see more people wearing them everyday, so that’s good. But this being an election year has caused people to dig their heels in on their beliefs about mask mandates. At least in my mind. The biggest outcry I think will come when college football is canceled. Then we’ll see ugly. 

28 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

My favorite is the bars.  the governor closed "the bars" but not restaurants that serve alcohol.  I discovered that some of the bars I've been frequenting have been restaurants all along even though I never recall seeing a menu. 

How is that even possible? A bar license is not a restaurant license. A restaurant license has many expensive requirements and regulations and normally involves multiple inspections before being issued. 

it irks me that bars are closed here but restaurant bars are up and thriving. 

46 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Absolutely true.  But it is possibly the most relevant comparison that we have at the moment.  I agree that it would be nearly impossible to use the same strategy with college football.

At least it appears to be going well.  If it wasn't, I would have even less optimism for sports of any kind this fall.

I feel pretty good about NFL, MLB and NBA. So that's been giving me comfort. I could live through the fall and winter if I have those 3. I'm trying to be optimistic about NCAA football but its been hard.

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I feel pretty good about NFL, MLB and NBA. So that's been giving me comfort. I could live through the fall and winter if I have those 3. I'm trying to be optimistic about NCAA football but its been hard.

Yes, it is hard on the fan no doubt. But since I do not like professional sports much, I am the college atmosphere type. 

However, here is something may indicate or clue us into what college presidents are thinking.

This ties into the NCAA guideline of "campus-wide or community outbreak." 

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Colleges-Hoped-for-an/249206?cid=wsinglestory_hp_1a

Vanderbilt University’s chancellor, Daniel Diermeier, said the university’s local environment would be the first consideration. A stay at-home order would preclude everything else, he told The Chronicle. Other triggers would be if Vanderbilt observed waves of hospitalizations and infections, or strains on testing capacity, quarantine capacity, or care capacity.

Other campus leaders interviewed by The Chronicle stressed that local guidance will be a key part of the decision. The University of Maryland’s new president, Darryll J. Pines, tied his administration’s decision matrix directly to Maryland, county, and city guidance and indicators.

“When they tell us it’s time to pivot,” he said, “we’re going to listen to them.”

“The fraternity outbreak gave us a glimpse of how congregate living could really seed infections,” Christ said.

An outbreak that stems from a fraternity party is just the sort of thing that many professors say they worry about when assessing the safety of returning to in-person instruction. Regardless of behavior pledges, which colleges have considered as a way of promoting safety amid the pandemic, some people find it difficult to believe that young college students will party together in masks and maintain six feet of physical distance once the alcohol starts flowing.

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

How is that even possible? A bar license is not a restaurant license. A restaurant license has many expensive requirements and regulations and normally involves multiple inspections before being issued. 

it irks me that bars are closed here but restaurant bars are up and thriving. 

As I understand it, the state liquor board is far more willing to license a 'restaurant that serves alcohol' than a pure bar.  The former must have at least 50% of its net sales be in food.  No 'restaurant' has ever fallen below the 50% threshold.

I am convinced that's why AZ spiked in late June. When the restaurants reopened after a month of only take-out, their patios and table were jam packed.

18 hours ago, Landlord said:

@Huskers93-97 seems to take issue with things that aren't facts being presented as facts.

What's not clear however, is if the issue is with the language of 'fact' or if it's with things that have overwhelming evidence of being true being treated as if they're true.

Gravity isn't a fact. Gravity is a theory. But we operate in the world and communicate and live as if gravity is a FACT. Is this something you don't like? Newtonian physics are wrong, but we still use them all the time because they're useful and they work for what we need them to. Do we take offense to people claiming that newton math is a fact?

The use of 'facts' in every day life, much like the use of proof, is one of utility. Because facts and proof don't actually exist. The doctor at Stanford agrees with this, as does every scientist.

You can't prove that things will always fall down when dropped. You can't prove that energy is conserved. You can't prove that stars are far away. You can't even prove that we're really here. But you can collect evidence. And you collect more and more, bigger and bigger piles, and when the piles get big enough you operate in the world in a way that you take them for granted. That's what a scientific theory is. 

like old sleepy Joe said.  "we chose truth over facts".   lol

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

OPS looking to shut down weights/conditioning here in a few days...to give the players a chance to quarantine before the start of the season.

They shut down all of the high school workouts here a couple weeks ago