Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 7/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, knapplc said:

You mean the super simple thing that we could have all done starting in March but many didn't do will be the reason we don't have football?

I agree. 

I agree, as well. If only Fauci had told us in March to wear masks...

• Plus1 1

Just now, knapplc said:

He said it April 3rd. This is a spurious argument four months later.

Ah - I didn't know 4/03 was officially when he first said "everyone should wear masks." He went on 60 Minutes in March and - verbatim - said "we don't need to be walking around with masks in public."

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

Ah - I didn't know 4/03 was officially when he first said "everyone should wear masks." He went on 60 Minutes in March and - verbatim - said "we don't need to be walking around with masks in public."

And on April 3rd he said we should. And four months later, a HUGE portion of America still wasn't (and still isn't) because they're not listening to the experts. 

Other countries are, and have gotten the virus under control. Germany had 600 new cases yesterday. Italy - once the benchmark for failing to appropriately address the virus - had 190. America had 60,000+ new cases. Yesterday.

We can talk about the couple/three weeks Fauci wasn't sold on masks back in March or we can talk about when he said we should use them in April, or we can just agree that America has badly botched this and we should have been wearing masks these past four months.

Fair?

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Some HS level info.

This is asinine, especially considering there's been zero communication until now to the schools about dates and information. Hell, they haven't even done tryouts for the teams yet...don't see how an August 3rd practice start date and August 10th game date are going to happen.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes. I had the 60 Minutes interview in my head when I wrote that post - but I couldn't have told you when he officially said "everybody should wear masks."

I believe he said to wear masks when he mentioned that there was a mine-shaft gap. 

Choking dr strangelove doctor strangelove GIF on GIFER - by Darkseeker

While the rest of us were...

Best Dr Strangelove GIFs | Gfycat

While the NCAA is asking the real pertinent question:

dr strangelove | Tumblr

And deciding what to do:

JoinDiaspora*

• Haha 1

To me this sums up the problem;

Anthony Fauci has been the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for 36 years.  He should be a guy who has run through every possible scenario imaginable and have complete knowledge on anything from the past.  He made the decision to publicly state that masks weren't needed.  He later changed his stance even though not much changed between his first announcement and his second as far as virus knowledge goes.  It felt like a whim to many in the general population with very little to back it up.  A good portion of our society stopped listening at that point and have been stubborn ever since.  

To me, the only way to convince those remaining that masks are necessary is to have a unified message from our country's leaders stating that they are necessary and why.  I don't see that happening from the top down but I do think some of the recent prominent figures, like football coaches, stating the message are having the desired effect to some degree.

I am personally not convinced that masks are the end all strategy to end the virus but I am doing my part.  I think to really determine the effectiveness, we need everyone to wear them while keeping society open.  If everything has to be closed for them to work, I'm not on board.  We need our economy going... and we need football.        

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I am personally not convinced that masks are the end all strategy to end the virus but I am doing my part.  I think to really determine the effectiveness, we need everyone to wear them while keeping society open.  If everything has to be closed for them to work, I'm not on board.  We need our economy going... and we need football.  

The thing is that at this point in July, I think it's reasonable to say that it's just too late though as far as it pertains to the college football season. 

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

we need football

I agree with a lot of your post and I agree with this. I think that, unfortunately, due the stubborn nature of Americans (that we both agree on), we have not done enough and we are not going to have football.

But I would be ecstatic to be wrong.

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

He later changed his stance even though not much changed between his first announcement and his second as far as virus knowledge goes.

Other than studies about spread, droplet size, R0 of the virus, asymptomatic carriers, incubation period, efficiency of face covers based on fabric type, efficiency of various masks, not to mention access to PPE for our frontline workers.....nothing much changed. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Other than studies about spread, droplet size, R0 of the virus, asymptomatic carriers, incubation period, efficiency of face covers based on fabric type, efficiency of various masks, not to mention access to PPE for our frontline workers.....nothing much changed.

The thing that worries me is the unknown long-term effects of getting it and what happens if you are either in the mild, moderate or severe classification. Is this thing like a varicella virus that can lay dormant in the body and then spring up later much like varicella zoster virus that causes shingles? I don't know. 

These are additional guidelines posted by the NCAA. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/core-principles-resocialization-collegiate-sport

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/covid-19-advisory-panel-exercise-recommendations

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

*efficiency of various masks - a guy in his position had better be an expert in that field prior to any pandemic.

*asymptomatic carriers were well know at the time the recommendations against masks were initially made. 

*There were few changes in virus knowledge from his statements in March to April.

*Much of the droplet size, etc knowledge has been gained and released post his mask recommendation.

His decisions weren't based on science.  They were based on availability of face masks.  Once enough masks were available, or about to be available, his public stance changed.  Basically the general public was lied to in order to protect the inventory for health care workers imo.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d love to tell people to quit their whining and just wear the damn mask around strangers.  Otherwise keep your selfish a$$ home.  This isn’t just about you.  Is that simple enough for people to understand?   Sadly, it probably isn’t.  On a broader scope this sort of selfish ignorance can help explain why we are where we are in this country in a lot of ways.    And why others are doing it much better.  

• Plus1 4