Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

HA

No, it wasn't sarcasm, I have it on every morning.  I usually don't really watch it, it is sort of just on in the background. 

Hopefully this is not you in watching the View as I would rather go through my choice of Spanish Inquisition torture rituals. 

Stanley Kubrick So Youre Keen On Musicccc GIF by Maudit - Find ...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

Hopefully this is not you in watching the View as I would rather go through my choice of Spanish Inquisition torture rituals. 

Stanley Kubrick So Youre Keen On Musicccc GIF by Maudit - Find ...

Ha...Nah...Put it this way, I DON'T change the channel to make sure I catch it...but if it comes on I don't change the channel to get away from it.  I mean, there really isn't much on at that time anyway and I have it on while I am watching something on my computer or doing work.

But if that is true...that means like...40million have had it in the US...and the death % is like under a half of a percent.  I think, I suck at math.

24 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Whether true or not, the Akron game cancellation was likely the fear that a large group could be killed by lightning.  There is also the fear of uncontrolled crowd reaction.   They did not decide to end crowds outdoors because of weather.   Common sense prevailed.  

So what is the number?

Exactly, an unusual event put people at risk, and the university would be responsible. My point is a lot of universities will not want to risk a single death . If there is a unusual circumstance outside the norm, that puts student athlete health at risk, the NCAA/University will want to scrap a game/the season. Many will do that, and they will do it in the interest of the safety of their student athletes. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

You forgot to put in hazmat suit. Way better protection that the N95. 

This is the NCAA's proposed basketball uniforms. Currently being tested now.

Coronavirus: New York group plays basketball in hazmat suits

That was actually @funhusker's quote, but I'd teach in one of these this year. If it's good enough for Walter White, it's good enough for me. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That was actually @funhusker's quote, but I'd teach in one of these this year. If it's good enough for Walter White, it's good enough for me. 

I am trying to push for more casual days this year...we already have jeans friday but I am trying to push for casual day everyday! 

They are giving us masks, face shields and a retractable clear divider.  

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So I saw on the View that it is likely that 10X more people have/had the virus than we thought/think.  If that is the case, doesn't that push the death rate down to some crazy low level?

That's only the case if:

• You don't also increase the number of unreported COVID-19 deaths, deaths that are most likely due to COVID-19 but not reported as such
  • The 10x number is accurate

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

But there is contingent of people that don't believe that this has any significance - which is absurd. They seem to be the same group of people in the "tHe hOSpiTalS aRe ovERWhelM3d!!!1" crowd.

What's absurd is the amount of self-projection going on in this argument.

Many hospitals are overwhelmed, but not all are. It depends on the area in which you live. I know it's hard to understand, but hospitals in different areas can have different levels of capacity (and you can't just transfer a patient from Arizona to South Dakota). I mean, dude... in Texas we're converting convention centers and arenas into hospitals. It is a fact that our hospitals are overwhelmed.

It's also important to understand that hospitals are not designed to work at high capacity all of the time. They need to be able to take in new patients, and due to the needs of COVID-19 patients they have to remain in the ICU for extended periods of time. Our healthcare system just isn't designed to handle this load for so long a period of time.

If only we'd done more in March/April to prevent ourselves from getting to this point again.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

I have to ask these questions AGAIN.

1. if you are the President of the University of Nebraska system, what do you do?

2. WHY are we playing a football season this fall? 

1. Absolutely no idea, I'm not privy to the information he has. Also I won't have to deal with the consequences he will. I probably move forward with as much control possible (B1G only season). And I have my finger on the big red button that says "Abort" at all times.

2. The reason why is money. Notice the schools that aren't making millions from football have been quick to cancel. For administrators and schools, the amount of money made off football is worth the risk, assuming they stay on the right side of this and nothing tragic happens.

1 minute ago, Branno said:

That's only the case if:

• You don't also increase the number of unreported COVID-19 deaths, deaths that are most likely due to COVID-19 but not reported as such
  • The 10x number is accurate

Many hospitals are overwhelmed, but not all are. It depends on the area in which you live. I know it's hard to understand, but hospitals in different areas can have different levels of capacity (and you can't just transfer a patient from Arizona to South Dakota). I mean, dude... in Texas we're converting convention centers and arenas into hospitals. It is a fact that our hospitals are overwhelmed.

It's also important to understand that hospitals are not designed to work at high capacity all of the time. They need to be able to take in new patients, and due to the needs of COVID-19 patients they have to remain in the ICU for extended periods of time. Our healthcare system just isn't designed to handle this load for so long a period of time.

If only we'd done more in March/April to prevent ourselves from getting to this point again.

So would you also take the number of current Covid deaths and X10 too?  

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

1. Absolutely no idea, I'm not privy to the information he has. Also I won't have to deal with the consequences he will. I probably move forward with as much control possible (B1G only season). And I have my finger on the big red button that says "Abort" at all times.

2. The reason why is money. Notice the schools that aren't making millions from football have been quick to cancel. For administrators and schools, the amount of money made off football is worth the risk, assuming they stay on the right side of this and nothing tragic happens.

Yep...they need dorm dues, they need kids buying s#!t at the Union, they need parking fines they need parking permit money and they need football revenue.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

HA

No, it wasn't sarcasm, I have it on every morning.  I usually don't really watch it, it is sort of just on in the background. 

The only host on that show that is a total lame is the older red haired lady.

I really don't mind Whoopie.

You have The View on every morning? Man, you gotta get a life. How's that "innie" coming in? :lol:

I kid. My wife has that crap on too. I guess I'm lucky enough to have to go to work.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

You have The View on every morning? Man, you gotta get a life. How's that "innie" coming in? :lol:

I kid. My wife has that crap on too. I guess I'm lucky enough to have to go to work.

I feel like I should not have said anything!  Since lockdown, I bet I have watched the View, on average, 3 days a week.  Honestly, it seems like it is on for 5 hours.  I have never actually seen the show end.

7 minutes ago, Branno said:

Many hospitals are overwhelmed, but not all are.

Link? Seriously - provide me some evidence to show this is actually a true statement.

8 minutes ago, Branno said:

So that we're clear and so that we can really have this conversation and to get ahead of the inevitable: I'm not a mask-denier. I think every single person should put on a f****** mask when they're in public, effective three months ago. I think Trump should have been one voice with Fauci on the mask thing and should have told everybody to put one on in April. I'm being genuine here.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So would you also take the number of current Covid deaths and X10 too?  

No; assuming that coroners are properly accounting for deaths actually caused by C19, we already know how many people died from it.

It's the denominator in the equation that gets bigger if known cases goes up, thus making the ratio of C19 deaths go down.