Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Link?

I did find the string of posts. I rescind my original comments there.

I found that I was mostly wrong; there were a couple of posts where mainly Moiraine & Buster had engaged me on my comments about the C19 death rate having dropped considerably since the initial March media frenzy had pegged it at 3%. I think the posts were from roughly 6/29-ish. I saved the direct link about an hour ago in Notepad but lost it due to having to restart my PC for a Windows update at work.  :)

As I reviewed those posts, I do admit I hadn't remembered the conversation accurately - my apologies.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Are younger kids more likely to have mild or no symptoms, looking like yes.  But to say they dont get it at all and can't spread it to those more likely to have severe symptoms, think thats a stretch bordering flat out lie.

The first child, who is a fifth grader, who has asthma, who succumbs from this virus will have little effect on whether we play college football as the money to be made from college football will dwarf any child who dies from it; there will be a news story on page 6 but no one will pay much attention as long as football is being played. The lawyers for the family will go about their business of suing the school district all the while we can rejoice that college football is being played; we will say all the right things like "our prayers and thoughts are with you" and other fashionable statements that demonstrate our faux concern because we will be quietly express "sucks to be you" but we will immediately turn our attention to more pressing matters such as if the Huskers will be playing.

I just hope that the child that dies is not a relative of a current Husker player; this way we do not have to hear or read about some mushy and sugary human interest story from a player on the team that distracts from how the games will be played. You know, the news stories that has the music in the background and the images of the child in happier times and the football player who has to overcome this human tragedy with the sad music in the background. You know, that crap that tries to show the softer, more gentler side of a game that offers war-like metaphors. 

Reporter in the background: Sad story indeed. I caught up our Husker player and asked him how he was reacting to the news. Here is my report. 

Reporter: I am so sorry to hear that your brother who was age 11 who died of covid. How is this impacting you?

Player: I am dedicating my season to him. It will be hard to have him not around, in the stands, cheering me on; he was the inspiration of my life. 

Reporter: How noble. You are an inspiration to all of us. But on to more important matters. How are you preparing to square off against Ohio State? Surely your not going to let some meaningless 11 year old that no one really cares about and have already forgotten about by now impact your ability to play against Ohio State, are you? Where are your priorities?

Player: what a mean thing to even suggest.

Reporter: it's the truth. Everyone on HuskerBoard could care less about some snot-nosed little twerp who happened to die from covid; he had asthma, he was probably going to die anyway. We all know that football and playing the game is far more important. What say you on the importance of playing during a pandemic? 

Player: my parents just lost a son and this is all you can say?

Reporter: as the reporter for HuskerBoard, we could care less about how your parents feel. What? 
Aren't they Husker fans? Don't they care about how the athletic department is going to survive without Husker football? 

Player: so you only care about me playing but not my health and my family?

Reporter: Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!! Now you are learning what is important around here. 

Edited by kansas45
added more to the story
1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

The first child, who is a fifth grader, who has asthma, who succumbs from this virus will have little effect on whether we play college football as the money to be made from college football will dwarf any child who dies from it; there will be a news story on page 6 but no one will pay much attention as long as football is being played. The lawyers for the family will go about their business of suing the school district all the while we can rejoice that college football is being played; we will say all the right things like "our prayers and thoughts are with you" and other fashionable statements that demonstrate our faux concern because we will be quietly express "sucks to be you" but we will immediately turn our attention to more pressing matters such as if the Huskers will be playing.

I just hope that the child that dies is not a relative of a current Husker player; this way we do not have to hear or read about some mushy and sugary human interest story from a player on the team that distracts from how the games will be played. You know, the news stories that has the music in the background and the images of the child in happier times and the football player who has to overcome this human tragedy with the sad music in the background. You know, that crap that tries to show the softer, more gentler side of a game that offers war-like metaphors. 

Reporter in the background: Sad story indeed. I caught up our Husker player and asked him how he was reacting to the news. Here is my report. 

Reporter: I am so sorry to hear that your brother who was age 11 who died of covid. How is this impacting you?

Player: I am dedicating my season to him. It will be hard to have him not around, in the stands, cheering me on; he was the inspiration of my life. 

Reporter: How noble. You are an inspiration to all of us. But on to more important matters. How are you preparing to square off against Ohio State? Surely your not going to let some meaningless 11 year old that no one really cares about and have already forgotten about by now impact your ability to play against Ohio State, are you? Where are your priorities?

Reporter: it's the truth. Everyone on HuskerBoard could care less about some snot-nosed little twerp who happened to die from covid; he had asthma, he was probably going to die anyway. We all know that football and playing the game is far more important. What say you on the importance of playing during a pandemic? 

Yep.  You've just summed up how everyone feels about this.  We want football back and we hate asthmatic children.

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

What the hell.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yep.  You've just summed up how everyone feels about this.  We want football back and we hate asthmatic children.

Oh my god...this was funny!

I know this sounds bad...but as a coach...there is nothing more annoying than the kid that "has asthma" only to either ask me if I can hold their inhaler OR (my favorite) they tell me they have asthma but NEVER bring their inhaler. 

28 minutes ago, nic said:

This thread has to be a record. :cowbell: Does anyone know how many of our 140K deaths due to COVID (or died with COVID) are ages 24 and under?

These were the numbers in May:

0-17 - .06% of deaths (9 total, 6 confirmed with underlying conditions)

18-44 - 3.9% of deaths (601 total, 476 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

45-64 - 22.4% of deaths (3,413 total, 2,851 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

65-74 - 24.9% of deaths (3,788 total, 2,801 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

75+ - 48.7% of deaths (7,419 total, 5236 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

This was through June 17

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20b

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

These were the numbers in May:

0-17 - .06% of deaths (9 total, 6 confirmed with underlying conditions)

18-44 - 3.9% of deaths (601 total, 476 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

45-64 - 22.4% of deaths (3,413 total, 2,851 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

65-74 - 24.9% of deaths (3,788 total, 2,801 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

75+ - 48.7% of deaths (7,419 total, 5236 confirrmed with underlying conditions)

This was through June 17

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20b

And a segment of the responders here is going to look at that chart and say, "See? It doesn't kill people the age of college football players at a very high rate. Let's play football."

Ignoring that .676% of our team is 1-2 guys, so who do you kill off the team and feel good about playing the season?

And our coaches are what? Ages 35-64 or so? What if one of them gets it?

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Branno said:

Here's the evidence that Phoenix Hospitals are not 'overwhelmed.'  The state talks a good game about 90% bed capacity.  But they have a closed hospital downtown they aren't using.  Back in march there was some chatter about reactivating it but it remains empty 

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/no-plans-to-open-st-lukes-despite-surge-in-covid-19-numbers/article_94c40a18-ab79-11ea-8f47-6329d870cad8.html

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What the hell.

It is a summation, in a fictitious way, of most of the feelings on this board and apparent attitudes. 

All this thread is really doing is attempting to justify why football should be played instead of addressing the realities. This thread is doing everything humanely possible, without much of a hint of humanism and public health, to rationalize why the season should be played and all the weird theories and wild speculation of playing just to get a game or two or three in just for our selfish purpose of being entertained. We are trying hard to convince ourselves, no matter what, of having a football season. Thus, the fictitious role I put in to gain a sense of "what is" and "what is not" important in this unprecedented situation we are facing. 

3 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Here's the evidence that Phoenix Hospitals are not 'overwhelmed.'  The state talks a good game about 90% bed capacity.  But they have a closed hospital downtown they aren't using.  Back in march there was some chatter about reactivating it but it remains empty 

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/no-plans-to-open-st-lukes-despite-surge-in-covid-19-numbers/article_94c40a18-ab79-11ea-8f47-6329d870cad8.html

Wrong.

https://ktar.com/story/3098353/st-lukes-hospital-in-phoenix-set-to-reopen-as-coronavirus-deaths-steady/

For what it's worth, here in Nebraska, in Cuming County, there was a person who was Covid-19 positive, symptomatic, hospitalized for those symptoms, and died. This person's death was initially reported as a Covid-19 death. However, the coroner decided that this person was suffering from underlying conditions that would have eventually caused death and Covid-19 just expedited that eventual outcome so, the coroner attributed that person's death to those underlying conditions. Therefore the death was taken out of the Covid-19 death count for the state and county. 

The notion that Covid-19 deaths are over-reported is bull. If anything, especially in states that a pushing hard to reopen, like Nebraska, they are under reported as in this very, real life, example. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2