Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's already been 5 months....time to get a new tool shed. I agree with the first 1-2 months playing it safe, I was on board for that. But now? It is getting way out of hand and I have seen many people lose their family business because of it while Amazon, Apple, Tesla, Alibaba, Netflix etc. just absolutely crush it because they have damn near unlimited resources. 

How many states are shut down currently? My state is wide open despite worse numbers than ever. We closed for 2 months. Most states are similar. Nebraska never closed down. So this narrative we have been bunkering down for 5 months is false. Sorry we can't just go full on back to normal like you would probably like. What happened to patience and perseverance? We have to actually do things to help our fellow American during this time of crisis.

You say people have lost businesses but is that truly because of government restrictions or because of the economic distress a pandemic brings? Restrictions or not pandemics cause economic problems as well. Just look at Sweden, a place that went the herd immunity route and hasn't seen any benefit to their economy for it. If people are getting sick and dying in large quantities that isnt good for business plain and simple. 

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's already been 5 months....time to get a new tool shed. I agree with the first 1-2 months playing it safe, I was on board for that. But now? It is getting way out of hand and I have seen many people lose their family business because of it while Amazon, Apple, Tesla, Alibaba, Netflix etc. just absolutely crush it because they have damn near unlimited resources. 

It would be crazy if the government did something to help that problem instead of exacerbating it. 

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Here's the problem with this premise - we didn't shut down for two months. Some bars and restaurants went to take-out only, but you weren't required to stay in your home. You have been free to go out and meander around and do whatever you want this whole time. Many, many, many people never stopped going to work, never stopped going to the store or to Menard's, and they weren't wearing masks.

Every other country whose death & infection rates have plummeted to the point where they can legit open back up and have sports have done three things:

1) Wear masks

2) Socially isolate long enough to get spread under control

3) Washed their hands. A lot.

America has never done this. We don't need a "new tool shed," we need people with the fortitude to just do those simple things. 

Since early April in America medical experts, the CDC, epidemiologists have been pushing those three things. That we haven't done them is our own fault.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not that different. Most experts have said from the beginning the CFR is inflated. 0.5%-1% has been the best estimate for awhile now. Thing is 0.5% of 100 million people is still alot of deaths and strain on the medical system, not to mention the long term effects of this virus. I really don't understand why this gets compared to swine flu or the regular flu when we have SARS to examine. The original SARS isn't the same as this coronavirus but it is more similar than COVID to the flu. 

I'm in agreement here.  I find myself in arguments with pretty much everyone for different reasons.  I'm the guy wearing the mask, reminding people that this is much more deadly than the flu, we can't go to festivals or concerts yet, etc.  Then I find myself arguing with the other side of the spectrum that seem to find comfort in reading and repeating the most alarming news story they can find (and they are plentiful) on a daily basis.  

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's the problem with this premise - we didn't shut down for two months. Some bars and restaurants went to take-out only, but you weren't required to stay in your home. You have been free to go out and meander around and do whatever you want this whole time. Many, many, many people never stopped going to work, never stopped going to the store or to Menard's, and they weren't wearing masks.

Every other country whose death & infection rates have plummeted to the point where they can legit open back up and have sports have done three things:

1) Wear masks

America has never done this. We don't need a "new tool shed," we need people with the fortitude do just do those simple things. 

Since early April in America medical experts, the CDC, epidemiologists have been pushing those three things. That we haven't is our own fault.

I think for many, no matter what tool it is, the only response is "it's a hammer". 

So, people don't properly use the tool, get injured, and then complain that we need new tools.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Millions and millions of people have had, have, or will have the virus. The # of cases is insanely under estimated. The mortality rate is less than 1% - fraction of that if you are under 65 years old. Of course no one wants to get sick and obviously not die - you could say that about any disease or virus. My mind is boggled that people truly think the best thing to do is bunker down for 12+ months. No open schools, close all restaurants, shopping malls etc. Then when they throw a vaccine at us we will all take it? Then we can all go back to normal?

Hey way to drastically switch tactics and garbage points to focus on after several people embarrassed your last one.

What's the next one, assumed risk of driving kills people? Bill Gates is responsible? There's more abortions than covid deaths? I'm ready, you just keep lobbing them up.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Hey way to drastically switch tactics and garbage points to focus on after several people embarrassed your last one.

What's the next one, assumed risk of driving kills people? Bill Gates is responsible? There's more abortions than covid deaths? I'm ready, you just keep lobbing them up.

I'm sorry you are terrified of this virus...please stay inside. 

• Haha 2
35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

1) Wear masks

America has never done this. We don't need a "new tool shed," we need people with the fortitude to just do those simple things. 

Since early April in America medical experts, the CDC, epidemiologists have been pushing those three things. That we haven't done them is our own fault.

Comparing countries is basically apples to donuts. There are on avg 80 million people who travel to America every year. Everyone is like wow look at New Zealand and their cases or Japan. Well yeah they get 2-3.5 million travel a year. The amount of people who flew to America from December to March is astronomically different. Covid was here and spread very fast. American life is also way different than other countries on how far people travel to work (or fly for that matter), visit family, sporting events etc. 

For the record I wear a mask out publicly and am not a Trumper which I'm sure some of you crazy lefties are thinking. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Comparing countries is basically apples to donuts. There are on avg 80 million people who travel to America every year. Everyone is like wow look at New Zealand and their cases or Japan. Well yeah they get 2-3.5 million travel a year. The amount of people who flew to America from December to March is astronomically different. Covid was here and spread very fast. American life is also way different than other countries on how far people travel to work (or fly for that matter), visit family, sporting events etc. 

None of this is relevant. The virus got here, it got into Italy, it got everywhere. 

The countries that will open up before America did the things I listed, things that Americans weren't willing to do. This has been a known way to combat spread for four months. It takes less than two months to get spread under control. We could have done it twice over by now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
15 hours ago, Mavric said:

Nope.  Just one you can't argue against so you have to resort to being dismissive and making stuff up.

You're right about one thing, I can't argue against a logical fallacy. So I have to dismiss what is honestly not a good point or argument to make. But that I'm making stuff up? Please. Tell me how I made anything up when I correctly pointed out that the inherent risk in football isn't equivocal to the increased and preventable risk of COVID-19 exposure.

Want to have a good faith argument, instead of attacking me? Yes there is risk inherent to the game of football, but we do what we can to mitigate that risk and accept it. It's why we wear pads, and penalize dangerous hits. The game today is completely different because of that risk. 

What is the only way we know to mitigate COVID-19 related risk? Wearing a mask while keeping a distance of 6ft from another person. You can't socially distance in football, and so in my opinion we can't effectively mitigate the risk. 

You might not care about having an actual conversation, but saying "lol there's already risk in football" brings no value to this discussion. For that matter, your reply here also brings no value. It's just an attack to belittle and demean what you seem to consider the other side.

It's hard to understand because at best it's a huge assumption and at worst it's completely false.  

Are you honestly suggesting that there is no increased risk in contracting COVID-19 by playing a contact sport like football?

That's a bad take man. The CDC lists contact sports as high risk, as does the NCAA. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/resocialization-collegiate-sport-developing-standards-practice-and-competition

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/youth-sports.html

If you want to make the argument that you are fine with the increased risk, that's one thing. But you're going about it the wrong way.

I do want to note, it's hilarious to see you claim I'm "being dismissive and making stuff up" in a post in which you are dismissive and make stuff up.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

None of this is relevant. The virus got here, it got into Italy, it got everywhere. 

The countries that will open up before America did the things I listed, things that Americans weren't willing to do. This has been a known way to combat spread for four months. It takes less than two months to get spread under control. We could have done it twice over by now. 

United Kingdom, Spain, Peru, Chile, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, France all have a higher mortality rate % than the United States and some of those testing per 1M ppl is lower than we are. But either way we get the cases down and then they will go back up when people go back out, and then will be told to go back inside again for 2 months. Repeat 

Not trying to be a know it all or an a$$h@!e but the people who act like the world is going to end are just as bad as the hoax people. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Diabetesaliciousness © 2007 - 2020: And Now For Something ...

You see that John Cleese is holding a pig...get it...pigskin?....related to football?

But I think we have missed the argument here because this is a crucial aspect. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-board-of-governors-vote-could-strike-significant-blow-to-fbs-college-football-being-played-this-fall/

On Friday, the NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to consider voting on whether to cancel fall championships. One source told CBS Sports that is the only agenda item for the NCAA's highest governing body.While the vote -- in the moment -- would have no direct or immediate impact on the FBS, the implications of such a decision are significant, layered, complicated and maybe tragic.

While the season probably isn't going to go away Friday, it soon could. Through that board -- mostly presidents and chancellors from all NCAA divisions -- the association has more leverage than ever over major-college football, a sport of which it has largely lost oversight.

My prediction: I will predict that these people vote to cancel fall sports championships in an effort to put back and emphasize the "student" in "student-athlete"; thus maintaining its sense of being an amateur sport and at the same time, gain back some authority over the sport. The article mentions that here:

With Friday's vote, the board could win back some of that lost turf while backing the FBS football into a corner. 

Thus, the NCAA would be able to hold off or "kick the can down the road" so to speak, in avoiding the legal issues and the issues of NIL as well as the "paid employee" situation while retaining their monopoly. And at the same time, have the major virtue signal that follows the premise of "student-athlete health and safety is paramount" premise that has been bandied around. These folks are in a delicate situation as they will be blamed for being the impetus for driving the dismantling of a season; however, I am thinking that they are looking at the long-term gain plan and the avoiding of the outrage and grievance industry especially in a pandemic. Also, there has been some concern of student-athletes in the PAC12 hitching a fit about their demands. What better way than to shut down that argument for now?