Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I get so old people complaining and complaining about our country and saying so many other countries are so much better for this or that.  I do think it's necessary to call it out.  Door is always open to leave.

Acknowledging we aren't the best at everything does not mean I am noy grateful for living here. It just means I'm being real. Why does America have to be the absolute best country in the world for people to enjoy living here? You know people can dislike things about where they live and want to make it better. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Branno said:

Making an argument you disagree with isn't a logical fallacy. Regardless, I've backed up my statements with links to the CDC, I'd love to see any source you might have that there is no increased risk from contact sports.

I've explained what your logical fallacy is but you ignore it because it's not what you want to talk about.  I've also explained my post but you ignore that as well because it's not what you want to argue against.  You continue to argue against something I didn't say because you're only interested in what your own point is and not actually having a discussion.  So we won't.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I get so old people complaining and complaining about our country and saying so many other countries are so much better for this or that.  I do think it's necessary to call it out.  Door is always open to leave.

Do you really have zero criticisms of America? None? Because that would be weird.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Millions and millions of people have had, have, or will have the virus. The # of cases is insanely under estimated. The mortality rate is less than 1% - fraction of that if you are under 65 years old. Of course no one wants to get sick and obviously not die - you could say that about any disease or virus. My mind is boggled that people truly think the best thing to do is bunker down for 12+ months. No open schools, close all restaurants, shopping malls etc. Then when they throw a vaccine at us we will all take it? Then we can all go back to normal?

Everybody would like solid answers given the huge decisions and stakes involved, but everything I've read concludes that COVID-19 is following some of the precedents set by previous pandemics, and simultaneously veering off into unknown waters. It's frustrating, but I don't think anyone is over-stating the potential for COVID-19 to mess with the economy of every country on Earth. They certainly don't know enough to assure us that business-as-usual is the way to go, and the recent resurgence suggests it isn't.  

So far it looks like we can get most businesses back into action with some simple safeguards, but anything with indoor crowds for long durations, including restaurants and especially bars, is going to be a tough sell. My daughter's college will be opening with in-person classes in less than a month. I'm rooting for this to happen and she is, too, but the thought of her getting sick all the way across the country and us unable to help is pretty unsettling. This is just the place we're at right now. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My daughter's college will be opening with in-person classes in less than a month. I'm rooting for this to happen and she is, too, but the thought of her getting sick all the way across the country and us unable to help is pretty unsettling. This is just the place we're at right now.

I think every parent with a kid going to school the next several weeks would agree with this assessment. Especially those with college-age kids a distance away.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I've explained what your logical fallacy is but you ignore it because it's not what you want to talk about.

Tell me the actual name of the fallacy, something you haven't done. I'm serious. If I made an actual logical fallacy the only way I can improve and avoid it in the future is to know. 

I've also explained my post but you ignore that as well because it's not what you want to argue against.  You continue to argue against something I didn't say because you're only interested in what your own point is and not actually having a discussion. 

My point is that there is increased risk from playing football and we most likely won't have a season because of it. Your point is that there is always risk. I'm trying to figure out what your point has to do with COVID-19 other than (and yes this is an assumption) to dismiss my concerns and those like them.

I keep asking what I made up, which you haven't responded to. 

The only one that isn't participating in the discussion in my opinion is you.

So we won't.

Maybe that's for the best.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, all my former students excited to head off to college and be on campus.  I don't blame them, I would be as well.  What % of college kids are going to be wearing masks on campus?  10%?  Maybe?

If the school sets the policy down and is enforced, no student will be allowed to enter a classroom without a mask. As per not being in class, then I believe the numbers will drop significantly. What do people do when we are in Walmart? They put on the mask right before they get in and the minute they get out, off comes the mask. 

But I anticipate that all colleges and universities will go completely online for the fall semester as all plans I have seen are based on the term "tentative."

Just now, kansas45 said:

If the school sets the policy down and is enforced, no student will be allowed to enter a classroom without a mask. As per not being in class, then I believe the numbers will drop significantly. What do people do when we are in Walmart? They put on the mask right before they get in and the minute they get out, off comes the mask. 

But I anticipate that all colleges and universities will go completely online for the fall semester as all plans I have seen are based on the term "tentative."

Can colleges do that?  Can they mandate masks in class?  I guess they can, I have no idea.

But if they do, you know those things are coming off right after class and on campus and at parties and so on.  

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Can colleges do that?  Can they mandate masks in class?  I guess they can, I have no idea.

But if they do, you know those things are coming off right after class and on campus and at parties and so on.  

If they can ban smoking they can mandate masks. It's going to get interesting if they allow any exceptions (for medical reasons and what not) or if they require those that won't wear masks to go online only.

4 minutes ago, Branno said:

If they can ban smoking they can mandate masks. It's going to get interesting if they allow any exceptions (for medical reasons and what not) or if they require those that won't wear masks to go online only.

Yeah, I guess, but the smoking one is a law, right?

Oh, I just checked, some colleges are mandating them but are worried that students will not listen (but there would be consequences) and of course, off campus is another story.

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I guess, but the smoking one is a law, right?

Oh, I just checked, some colleges are mandating them but are worried that students will not listen (but there would be consequences) and of course, off campus is another story.

Off campus is its own thing, which is why I believe it's safer (although much s#!ttier) to just go online only for the fall and re-evaluate for the spring semester.

RE: smoking ban. For Nebraska (and my alma mater Missouri State) it's just a campus policy.

3 hours ago, Branno said:

I'm starting to wonder if there is any correlation between those that downplay COVID-19 risks and extreme American Exceptionalism. 

I think all of the arguments about America being different than Europe and thus not a fair comparison are trying to deflect from the failure of the current administration.

This article offers a perspective I  had not yet seen on why certain countries are failing so badly at handling coronavirus: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/struggle-pandemic-populist-leaders-fare-poorly-71936667?cid=clicksource_4380645_6_film_strip_icymi_hed

The countries that top the rankings of COVID-19 deaths globally are not the poorest, the richest or even the most densely populated. But they do have one thing in common: They are led by populist, mold-breaking leaders.

“This is a public health crisis that requires expertise and science to resolve. Populists by nature ... have a disdain for experts and science that are seen as part of the establishment,” says Michael Shifter, president of the Inter-American Dialogue, a Washington-based think tank. He was discussing Brazil, where at least 81,000 people have died.

“Populist politics makes it very difficult to implement rational policies that really resolve the issue — or at least manage the crisis more effectively.”

I'm sure the same commenters citing "American uniqueness"  will dismiss this as a viable reason, but there does seem to be evidence that populism is a failure at fighting pandemics.

To me, populism reinforces the persecution syndrome that we seem to have with segments of our population and leads to people actively resisting simple steps (masking, social distancing, hand washing, etc.) that have shown great promise at reducing the spread.

A big reason why Europe will probably have sports going on in the fall with attendance, while the US is still worrying about outbreaks among isolated players.

• Plus1 2