Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, 307husker said:

Straw man fallacy, that would be your most common fault.

I have a lot of faults, but that is not one of them. 

How is quoting you verbatim a straw man? How does that misrepresent what you said? 

Just for future reference, your "When did I say NCAA" is a straw man argument. 

1 hour ago, Branno said:

I'll agree with most of this except for your claim that the NCAA can control players lifestyles. That's a laughably false claim.

^^^ You assert that I claimed the NCAA can control players lifestyles.  I never mentioned the NCAA as the controlling entity.  Straw man.  You're welcome.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Some colleges are going to try in-person learning. They will also have an online-learning option. Some colleges aren't even trying. My friend's daughter's college, University of Seattle, finally gave up this week. Online only. If the dominoes start toppling, others may yet join them. 

But "completely online" is a recipe for a different disaster. Imagine paying $30,000 to $60,000 for your kid to sit in their bedroom taking classes on Zoom. Imagine every class and vocation that requires physical tools and interaction. How much value do you put on the college experience itself? Many colleges have to raise tuition because they are bleeding cash all over the place. My daughter and her friends are all planning gap years and hiatuses, and both private and public universities may not survive the exodus. 

It's a bad situation - parents and students don't want to pay the same fare for online classes but it's a fiscal apocalypse for most colleges and universities to charge less. In many circumstances, it's no easier (and often harder) to teach content via Zoom... especially if that's not how the course was designed at the outset.

I hope your daughter's semester goes as well as it can. 

8 minutes ago, 307husker said:

^^^ You assert that I claimed the NCAA can control players lifestyles.  I never mentioned the NCAA as the controlling entity.  Straw man.  You're welcome.

Jesus Christ man. I didn't assert that you claimed anything. What you are doing now is a straw man.

If anything I incorrectly assume NCAA because we're talking about NCAA football. Instead of saying "Oh hey man, I meant coaches and teams not NCAA" you made a huge deal as if it invalidates everything else I wrote. That's the fallacy, not a throwaway word in a sentence. 

You obviously aren't willing to have a reasonable or even rational debate. Don't worry about responding to this, I'm done with you.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So, who would "police" the masks on campus?

Faculty is not going to do it like they will have to do in K-12.  Campus security?  They can't "detain' anyone, so if you don't have a mask on and they come to "fine" you, you can just walk away.

Real cops?

I'd have to assume faculty would be instructed to ask students to leave if they aren't wearing a mask. At that point, they're trespassing and if needed police can be called to physically remove them and charge them.

Hopefully it wouldn't get to that point. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Branno said:

Jesus Christ man. I didn't assert that you claimed anything. What you are doing now is a straw man.

If anything I incorrectly assume NCAA because we're talking about NCAA football. Instead of saying "Oh hey man, I meant coaches and teams not NCAA" you made a huge deal as if it invalidates everything else I wrote. That's the fallacy, not a throwaway word in a sentence. 

You obviously aren't willing to have a reasonable or even rational debate. Don't worry about responding to this, I'm done with you.

That's probably your best play at this point. 

Just now, Branno said:

I'd have to assume faculty would be instructed to ask students to leave if they aren't wearing a mask. At that point, they're trespassing and if needed police can be called to physically remove them and charge them.

Hopefully it wouldn't get to that point. 

Yeah, maybe in the classroom, maybe.  But what about just on campus?

Interesting stuff for sure!  Most profs become profs because they don't want to deal with the s#!t we deal with when it comes to students.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, maybe in the classroom, maybe.  But what about just on campus?

Interesting stuff for sure!  Most profs become profs because they don't want to deal with the s#!t we deal with when it comes to students.  

There's always double-secret probation...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

In all my time in college there was one time where I saw a Prof "correct" a behavior.  Dude kind of lost it on the kid too!

You're right, it is a huge problem and one not most faculty or staff are going to want to take on. It's like being the doorman at Wal-mart - is it worth risking your life because someone doesn't want to comply with store policy?

On the other hand, there are capital B billions of dollars riding on at campuses campus wide. If a college imposes the rule there will be means to enforce it. Maybe campus security/police, maybe just by expelling or flunking flagrant violators.

That 's where this differs from all the Panera meltdowns. Students are paying a hefty fee for the privilege of being in that 8am survey course.  They are perfectly free to donate that sum to the university and go home.

Don't get between the Man and his money.

57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Some colleges are going to try in-person learning. They will also have an online-learning option. Some colleges aren't even trying. My friend's daughter's college, University of Seattle, finally gave up this week. Online only. If the dominoes start toppling, others may yet join them. 

But "completely online" is a recipe for a different disaster. Imagine paying $30,000 to $60,000 for your kid to sit in their bedroom taking classes on Zoom. Imagine every class and vocation that requires physical tools and interaction. How much value do you put on the college experience itself? Many colleges have to raise tuition because they are bleeding cash all over the place. My daughter and her friends are all planning gap years and hiatuses, and both private and public universities may not survive the exodus.

This is one of the concerns. There are other concerns as well. One of those concerns is "catching the virus"; another concern is what has been mentioned which is cost vs benefit when most colleges have advertised the concept of "small class sizes" and "getting to know a professor." Another is the residential living expense on campus. Why come to a campus that is online and just stay in your dorm doing online courses? Some schools are having to confront the bloated costs to run a university with little to no students. 

2 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

You're right, it is a huge problem and one not most faculty or staff are going to want to take on. It's like being the doorman at Wal-mart - is it worth risking your life because someone doesn't want to comply with store policy?

On the other hand, there are capital B billions of dollars riding on at campuses campus wide. If a college imposes the rule there will be means to enforce it. Maybe campus security/police, maybe just by expelling or flunking flagrant violators.

That 's where this differs from all the Panera meltdowns. Students are paying a hefty fee for the privilege of being in that 8am survey course.  They are perfectly free to donate that sum to the university and go home.

Don't get between the Man and his money.

I have been on mask patrol for summer school...it sucks.  

1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

This is one of the concerns. There are other concerns as well. One of those concerns is "catching the virus"; another concern is what has been mentioned which is cost vs benefit when most colleges have advertised the concept of "small class sizes" and "getting to know a professor." Another is the residential living expense on campus. Why come to a campus that is online and just stay in your dorm doing online courses? Some schools are having to confront the bloated costs to run a university with little to no students. 

Yep...

Dorms are a huge money maker for the schools...the cafeteria and union are as well. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I have been on mask patrol for summer school...it sucks.  

I bet!

I teach and run a department. In my class, I will have an attendance policy and reference the campus mask policy.

In the department, I've told may staff to offer a disposable mask to anyone that "forgot one" and remind them of the policy. If they refuse to comply, we'll call campus security. If campus security refuses or is unable to enforce, it's going to be a short semester.