Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

10 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I think you’re making an assumption here, I speak from feedback I hear from students and from what I read. It’s not passion about any one method, it’s that there are options out there for students and the delivery is still proficient, and my goal is to help find the right fit for a student. Connected Learning is a good alternative for those who might not be able to commute, but want that set time and chance to engage with the class yet. Unlike a sole online class where the instructor engages through the LMS with announcements and messages, while the class engages in thread discussions based on weekly assignments. 

I take it that you are an academic advisor? But the term "Connected Learning" is nothing more than a packaged term to signify something special when it really isn't. No different than that worthless model called "service learning." Capitalizing it does not make it any better and is only capitalized by the proponents to say that they have a model that is superior to others in their attempt to push their model so people will go "ohhh and ahhh" over it. But when you boil it all down, it is nothing more than an online class with a synchronous component built into it. The instructor still has announcements and messages and assignments in the platform delivery system. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I think you’re making an assumption here, I speak from feedback I hear from students and from what I read. It’s not passion about any one method, it’s that there are options out there for students and the delivery is still proficient, and my goal is to help find the right fit for a student. Connected Learning is a good alternative for those who might not be able to commute, but want that set time and chance to engage with the class yet. Unlike a sole online class where the instructor engages through the LMS with announcements and messages, while the class engages in thread discussions based on weekly assignments. 

I went brick and mortar for undergrad and I preferred that method over the online classes I’m taking for grad school where it’s more self-learning, but more freedom of time management to complete the homework and balancing my full-time and part-time job. 

People can debate skill level of instructors at any level and any method of delivery. Maybe I’m assuming here, but i don’t think there good instructors because they teach in-class courses, I’ve had some crappy instructors - one who called my doctors office to verify if I was sick or not. Just like anything in life; there’s good, meh, and bad. I wish I knew more about other LMS, such as Canvas, Blackboard, etc. to compare what we use, but yes there are flaws and it isn’t useful for everyone, but bottom line any method is dependent on the student. 

I like online classes better...but just because they were so easy.  Profs seemed to just give away A's online.

I learned more and felt like I was learning more in the actual classroom.  But I did my masters online so by that point, I was just looking to get the degree and pay raise.

I will say, that with one of the classes I teach, the discussion board on our learning platform was awesome, compared to the participation in class.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I feel like Nebraska has committed to doing this the best/safest way possible (while still playing).  Are other B1G teams giving this similar attention to details?   Hopefully so.  We still can have somewhat of a season possibly.   I definitely now see the reasoning behind conference only.   As far as fans, I predict 10,000 or less per game (if any).   This whole attempt at a football season is kind of like dumping a bunch of money in a high risk investment because the potential payout greatly surpasses an otherwise sure loss.  

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I feel like Nebraska has committed to doing this the best/safest way possible (while still playing).  Are other B1G teams giving this similar attention to details?   Hopefully so.  We still can have somewhat of a season possibly.   I definitely now see the reasoning behind conference only.   As far as fans, I predict 10,000 or less per game (if any).   This whole attempt at a football season is kind of like dumping a bunch of money in a high risk investment because the potential payout greatly surpasses an otherwise sure loss.  

Not to be a downer but the 2020 fb season IS a big loss no matter what happens unless they have full stadiums and all the games as originally scheduled.  

Playing a few games will reduce the loss - some maybe - but its a fiscal nightmare on 10th st - in any event.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not to be a downer but the 2020 fb season IS a big loss no matter what happens unless they have full stadiums and all the games as originally scheduled.  

Playing a few games will reduce the loss - some maybe - but its a fiscal nightmare on 10th st - in any event.

I have a feeling now that this report by Brett McMurphy is a signal that the NCAA BOG vote today is to NOT cancel football. I mean, if you do not have to test after someone get's Covid, heck, it's ok to play only if you show signs and symptoms. What timing to influence the vote. This 11th hour information indicates that we will have football and no cancellations. All those schools that cancelled their seasons are now looking foolish. 

• Haha 1

@84HuskerLaw The loss will be greatly reduced by television revenue. Businesses will suffer yes but they've also profited for years off the backs of fans and the uni. Not sure I see the "IS" in your post. Losing the season in it's entirety will likely cost programs and lively hoods of many. Like it or not, football without fans greatly out weighs having no football at all and from the uni's perspective, they likely aren't to concerned about the 10th street businesses.

7 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

@84HuskerLaw The loss will be greatly reduced by television revenue. Businesses will suffer yes but they've also profited for years off the backs of fans and the uni. Not sure I see the "IS" in your post. Losing the season in it's entirety will likely cost programs and lively hoods of many. Like it or not, football without fans greatly out weighs having no football at all and from the uni's perspective, they likely aren't to concerned about the 10th street businesses.

My guess is it is one of those things they are not concerned about...until they realize it is a concern.  Part of the attraction of picking a college are things like greek life, new dorms, activities, how the scene is around town. 

I have sent plenty of students off to small colleges in tiny crappy towns and most of them are back at the end of the first year and what they complain about it is how lame the town was/is.

With that said, I heard yesterday that Barry's is closing.

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

My guess is it is one of those things they are not concerned about...until they realize it is a concern.  Part of the attraction of picking a college are things like greek life, new dorms, activities, how the scene is around town. 

I have sent plenty of students off to small colleges in tiny crappy towns and most of them are back at the end of the first year and what they complain about it is how lame the town was/is.

With that said, I heard yesterday that Barry's is closing.

My point of nightmare is within the Athetic Dept.   - I wasn't referring to downtown.  It will suffer too.  

TV money is important but tickets are the big fish Im sure.  

As I said, they can cut the loss some by playing games without fans IF TV $ is good and they keep the extra costs ( testing, housing, etc etc) reasonable.   

Id guess the NOL for 2020-2021 fiscal year goes from plus $12 million to $40 million loss with things as they look now.  End all sports thru the year, it goes to 70 million LOSS area.  That bites!  The losses may end including layoffs of huge #s of coaches and staff ultimately - if they dont reopen the economy / sports especially. 

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

B10 teams on avg projected to lose $100M if no season

Alright, so using that number with some numbers I’m making up, this is how I see it.  You need to spend $10mil/school  to mitigate Covid and have a season.   You potentially could get a $40mil (Again, made up) payout per school  if the season happens.  So best case scenario you “only” loose $70mil.  Still bad, but better than $100mil in the red.  Of course, if season hopes flop, you could now loose $110mil.   I get why they appear to be going all-out to make the season happen.  Those are some B1G numbers.   Clearly a business decision (and probably a smart one).  

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

I take it that you are an academic advisor? But the term "Connected Learning" is nothing more than a packaged term to signify something special when it really isn't. No different than that worthless model called "service learning." Capitalizing it does not make it any better and is only capitalized by the proponents to say that they have a model that is superior to others in their attempt to push their model so people will go "ohhh and ahhh" over it. But when you boil it all down, it is nothing more than an online class with a synchronous component built into it. The instructor still has announcements and messages and assignments in the platform delivery system. 

What’s the difference between the student who sits in the back of class and doesn’t say a word all term and passes vs connected learning? You’re POV comes across like standard classroom learning has no flaws, It’s all about what you make of it. Your lack of experience or negative experience isn’t something I will attempt to change, just sharing how it is successful for other people. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

i will say, that with one of the classes I teach, the discussion board on our learning platform was awesome, compared to the participation in class.

My experience from in-class is that participation/discussion was usually dominated by a few and “participation” was merely attendance drive.  My experience in the online classroom is that it forces students to engage in discussion or your grade will drop, but it didn’t necessarily make the conversations productive - just a requirement. Pros and cons to both. 

• Fire 1