Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

They say Universities will have trouble explaining why football players can be on campus when the rest of the student body learns remotely.  I think they will have a lot more trouble explaining why students must pay a large tuition for the same education that could be delivered online. 

I see universities who charge more for online than for in-person. I haven’t researched why that is or asked, but it has my curiosity to look into sometime in the near future. 

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

My experience from in-class is that participation/discussion was usually dominated by a few and “participation” was merely attendance drive.  My experience in the online classroom is that it forces students to engage in discussion or your grade will drop, but it didn’t necessarily make the conversations productive - just a requirement. Pros and cons to both. 

Yeah and for some students they feel more comfortable sharing their thoughts on a discussion board.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

B10 teams on avg projected to lose $100M if no season

If that is correct, there will be a lot fewer colleges with sports programs in 21-22.  Bankruptcy is a likelihood for a bunch.  At a breakeven budget in the good times (2019) on average, that 100 million is ten years of austere ops to recover.  I hope its not but the numbers could be that bad in a worst case.  

1 minute ago, hunter49 said:

probably safer for those kids too, wouldn't you think?  free speech not available everywhere on all campuses.

Funny you say that, I actually wish that our learning platform had an "anonymous" feature for posting.  Where only the teacher could see who posted for grading purposes.  It might help students share more freely.  

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Funny you say that, I actually wish that our learning platform had an "anonymous" feature for posting.  Where only the teacher could see who posted for grading purposes.  It might help students share more freely.  

true, political issues so radical, fear of peer and/or professor pressure likely to be off the charts.

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah and for some students they feel more comfortable sharing their thoughts on a discussion board.

So that means we would all be good at a discussion board if this were a class. Some of us would be demanding for extra credit by the shear volume of posts. The problem is this: once you have an anonymous name, you have more freedom; once you have your real name, you will not be likely to post in fear of the "cancel culture" and swaying away from those who are dominate. Thus, people will tend to err on the side of caution and tiptoe through issues. 

If any of us here had our true identity revealed, we would be much more different in how we respond and post. Ben Franklin used an alias. 

2 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

So that means we would all be good at a discussion board if this were a class. Some of us would be demanding for extra credit by the shear volume of posts. The problem is this: once you have an anonymous name, you have more freedom; once you have your real name, you will not be likely to post in fear of the "cancel culture" and swaying away from those who are dominate. Thus, people will tend to err on the side of caution and tiptoe through issues. 

If any of us here had our true identity revealed, we would be much more different in how we respond and post. Ben Franklin used an alias. 

the fear of reprisal is even infiltrated into major corporations, with required re education on social issues,

appears to be a huge silent majority living in fear of losing their jobs if they don't tow the new direction set forth by the organization.

colleges were the seed bed for radicalism.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

What’s the difference between the student who sits in the back of class and doesn’t say a word all term and passes vs connected learning? You’re POV comes across like standard classroom learning has no flaws, It’s all about what you make of it. Your lack of experience or negative experience isn’t something I will attempt to change, just sharing how it is successful for other people. 

Lack of experience or negative experience? You have no idea from which my opinion derives from. Face to face classes have their strength's and weaknesses. However, if online was such a superior mode of educational delivery, we would have switched it to years ago. But we didn't. The "sage on the stage" is still the most common and most desired form of instructional delivery and it is advertised by practically all colleges. "get the experience of small classes, interact with your professors for real world experiences." Yeah, 10 people in a Zoom and told to watch a YouTube video is really the height of the educational experience advertised. 

I just simply shake my head in disbelief by those people who sit in front of a class telling others that the days of the sage on the stage are over and informing people of a better way to do things electronically. But did anyone note the irony that people are congregated in front of computers in one room while the person in front of the group is essentially the "sage on the stage"? Why didn't this person just host this electronically and I could sit in my office watching it and then doing the activities that were assigned? But no, we are subjected to the same method that they advocate not to use. And do not get me started on those clowns that come in one day saying "hey, here is a new technology app that you can use, it is great!!" and then in a month they have a new one to share that is even better all the while I haven't even seen the full potential of the one they so strongly advocated in the first place. I call these people "app-hoppers." 

You ask the question: [What’s the difference between the student who sits in the back of class and doesn’t say a word all term and passes vs connected learning?] My response is: tell me. Since it is claimed that I have either a lack of experience or a negative experience.