Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

College is expensive. Lots of kids aren't sure who they want to be. They change majors. Or end up never using their major. But as much as it galls me to pay for the "experience" I know that's what going to college is really about. Young adults need to get out of their comfort zone, meet people from other geographies and walks of life, make their own day-to-day real world decisions, make mistakes and be accountable for them, and most importantly use all the people they meet in college to get jobs and careers. 95% of the cost of going to Harvard is recovered by using the Harvard alumni network. UNL doesn't get you in the same halls of power, but it definitely opens the door if an employer is a Husker or used to live in Nebraska. 

Remote learning gives this generation yet another reason to stay in their room at their parents house, staring at a screen. With a few notable exceptions, it's not a good alternative.

• Plus1 4

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have have had tell a few students to "settle down" before because of certain topics.

That's good that you do what is necessary to maintain the objectiveness. However, most of the time, it does not take long to get a hint on what the professor wants to hear in their echo chamber. If the professor is a Marxist, oh you bet my papers are going to come across as if I were Marx himself. So if the professor has a slant, you will do better to go with that slant because there a bunch of professors out there that want to indoctrinate calling that education. 

Let me give you an example from experience. I was in a first year English class in college and had to write a narrative about the movie Shane and explain the characters and their interactions. My roommate was going to write about the sexual tension between the characters and the pre-gunfight sex scene that should have been shown. I told him he was crazy to do that. He told me, "no,  just watch what I get on the paper." I wrote about the morality and the sadness of the characters....ended up with a C. My roommate.......well, it was poorly written, tons of typos.......gets an A. 

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

just announced today, 150 docs signed a petition to shut down t he whole economy due to covid spikes.

they must be antifa supporters. total economic ruin is the goal for these idiots

Not to discount you, but do you have a source? I would like to read their petition. 

1 hour ago, 307husker said:

We cannot say this for certain given the multitude of variables in play.

We have to compare Option A, "playing football" to Option B, "something other than playing football".  

We know that Option A would include extensive testing and symptom monitoring, a heavily controlled environment,  heavily structured and controlled lifestyle and living conditions.  It would also include high exertion respiration in close contact to a large number of other people.

What we don't know is much about Option B, but would have to make some assumptions that it would be "normal college kid stuff".  I don't think anybody really thinks Option B is staying home in a relatively safe/sterile environment.  If option B is spending time at house parties or in the bars, then Option A may be much safer (assuming that team rules would prohibit such activities).

This is why we can't say that Option A "playing football" is less safe than Option B "something other than playing football" in terms of Covid transmission.

If all variables listed above were constant between Option A and Option B, then not playing a contact sport would very likely be safer, but that's not realistic.

Option A still includes Option B inside it, as well as hundreds of people traveling and using planes/buses/hotels/restaurant made food and interacting with all sorts of people across different states.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, QMany said:

I was waiting for this to start spreading right at the end of July. In all seriousness, I knew this would start to appear on social media. I expect this type of messaging to spread pretty quickly now.

Wanted to comment on something @Branno had said, but I don't want to sift through our new multi-page thread layout to find it: You had mentioned something about people wanting to downplay C19.

Preface: I'm not accusing you of doing this at all, by the way. Just some thoughts. I think it's important to not create a false dichotomy where someone is in one of only two camps:

1. You're a "science denier" and you think COVID is not dangerous at all.

2. You're on every rooftop championing for how dangerous COVID is.

There are in reality many, many other possible "camps" one can be in. I think I'm in a camp where my natural skepticism is attempting to figure out whether or not the danger is in fact as bad as it's being portrayed. But like, I have no agenda there other than understanding the truth of the matter. Many people are not wired this way, so questioning things comes off as the person being in Camp #1 above.

Anyway, maybe that will stimulate some dialogue, or maybe it won't.

Edit: 140,000 deaths definitely falls under the "it's serious" category for me.   :)

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

1. You're a "science denier" and you think COVID is not dangerous at all.

2. You're on every rooftop championing for how dangerous COVID is.

If we built this into a scale. 10 being your on every roof screaming how dangerous this is with 0 being you are a science denier and this whole thing is a hoax or some conspiracy and nothing to worry about. I would say that I am at a 7.5 on this scale.  When this whole thing started back in January or the rumblings were starting to occur when it was first reported in China, I was at a 1. Even in March I was at a 2 on this scale. 

I want to know more about it but will err on the side of caution because if you become somewhat lax in your assessment, it is those things that can come back and bite you on the rear end. Therefore, it is better to examine the entirety of the situation and play devils advocate, even against your own biases. It is the "what-ifs" that you have to fully examine. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

If we built this into a scale. 10 being your on every roof screaming how dangerous this is with 0 being you are a science denier and this whole thing is a hoax or some conspiracy and nothing to worry about. I would say that I am at a 7.5 on this scale.  When this whole thing started back in January or the rumblings were starting to occur when it was first reported in China, I was at a 1. Even in March I was at a 2 on this scale. 

I want to know more about it but will err on the side of caution because if you become somewhat lax in your assessment, it is those things that can come back and bite you on the rear end. Therefore, it is better to examine the entirety of the situation and play devils advocate, even against your own biases. It is the "what-ifs" that you have to fully examine. 

Agreed, good post. The 'sliding scale' thing was kind of what I was referring to, yes.

Agree with Undone.  I think a large number of people are somewhere in between.  The average person in my small corner of the world thinks the virus is exaggerated to some degree but they also understand it can be bad for some who get it.    

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Option A still includes Option B inside it, as well as hundreds of people traveling and using planes/buses/hotels/restaurant made food and interacting with all sorts of people across different states.

Disagree.

Option B is a "free for all".  Option A is a structured and contained process organized by professionals.  

Did you see that they're moving athletes into one dorm aka "controlled environment" once football camp starts?  This illustrates Option A differing from Option B in making the athletes safer.

Have you ever travelled with a big team of NCAA athletes?  Very little is done "off script" from hotel to meals and flights.  It's the same reason that teams stay in motels during home games, to more closely control the environment... A chartered flight would make it where the team was able to maintain a pretty high degree of containment.

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

Lack of experience or negative experience? You have no idea from which my opinion derives from. Face to face classes have their strength's and weaknesses. However, if online was such a superior mode of educational delivery, we would have switched it to years ago. But we didn't. The "sage on the stage" is still the most common and most desired form of instructional delivery and it is advertised by practically all colleges. "get the experience of small classes, interact with your professors for real world experiences." Yeah, 10 people in a Zoom and told to watch a YouTube video is really the height of the educational experience advertised. 

I just simply shake my head in disbelief by those people who sit in front of a class telling others that the days of the sage on the stage are over and informing people of a better way to do things electronically. But did anyone note the irony that people are congregated in front of computers in one room while the person in front of the group is essentially the "sage on the stage"? Why didn't this person just host this electronically and I could sit in my office watching it and then doing the activities that were assigned? But no, we are subjected to the same method that they advocate not to use. And do not get me started on those clowns that come in one day saying "hey, here is a new technology app that you can use, it is great!!" and then in a month they have a new one to share that is even better all the while I haven't even seen the full potential of the one they so strongly advocated in the first place. I call these people "app-hoppers." 

You ask the question: [What’s the difference between the student who sits in the back of class and doesn’t say a word all term and passes vs connected learning?] My response is: tell me. Since it is claimed that I have either a lack of experience or a negative experience. 

You’re right, I have no idea where your opinion comes from because you don’t care to share and refuse to believe there are alternatives that are equal to prior processes. No one is saying the days of in-class learning are over, but we have technology to reach more people now and learn at the same level in nearly every subject. Why would we turn that away? 

Prior to Covid, ask Michigan why they bragged about not offering online classes compared to other Big Ten schools. My opinion, because they’re about image and prestige, trying to be different. That’s not going away. 

I agree about the “app-hoppers” you describe - the bells and whistles as you’ve previously stated. I’d relate that to textbooks and “new” editions only to force students to buy new. Those profiteering aspects are in every industry and isn’t unique to LMS. Just a hunch, but I’m sure your industry has similar flaws that get you worked up over too. 

I’ll reiterate, college is about what you make of it regardless of any learning style. It’s not the instructor or institutions job to make sure every student learns, participates, and passes class.

I don’t see why you’re balking at answering a question, outside of attempting to control a narrative. 

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't blame them one bit if they start to voice their concerns.  

Right - especially because they don't actually get financial compensation. A scholarship and a bunch of free sweatpants, yeah - but not actual money.

It changes the conversation a lot, IMO.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Scholarship athletes are financially compensated.  You can't exactly pay for an education with anything other than money!  Ask anyone who has paid their way through school and then paid on their student loans for years if that was actual money.  I wouldn't mind kids being able to profit from things being recently discussed but I don't think we should pretend that they aren't already compensated.      

• Plus1 1