Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Keep in mind things are trending away from college being amateurs. You can make money off likeness and talks of paying players

Trending, but not quite there yet. I believe the NCAA will be fighting that tooth and nail as well as college administrators. The whole entire model, at this time, is based on the amateur model. 

This is my thought: if the NCAA and P5 football was smart, they would take this season and cancel it and take the loss and use that loss to argue that "we have no money to pay college athletes." They could argue that due to the cancellation of the season, it will take us 10 years to recover. I would play the long game on this one. 

I still believe that there will be major rumblings among student-athletes if they are playing and there are no other students on campus. The optics are not good on this one and will expose the NCAA and P5 which they cannot easily justify and rationalize. We have seen the rumblings among student-athletes in the PAC 12. And given the nature of student activism of recent note, I could easily see this as the next major protest that could shake college athletics to its core. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

I still believe that the optics of having no students on campus while there is a football team or other student-athletes in other sports on campus while other students are not on campus is a bad look for colleges and will not further the argument that the NCAA has of the amateur-academic model.

No it certainly won't.  But at this point why bother?

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, but when it’s done by certain people to deflect any blame for how things have been handled in the U.S. then it’s done for pure political reasons. 

Or racist reasons.

I can use white sheets on my bed and that's perfectly fine. Some other people use white sheets for entirely different reasons, and that's not fine.

When a person who has a decades-long history of racism says/does something that is possibly racist, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt and they should be called out for influencing vulnerable people.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Or racist reasons.

I can use white sheets on my bed and that's perfectly fine. Some other people use white sheets for entirely different reasons, and that's not fine.

When a person who has a decades-long history of racism says/does something that is possibly racist, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt and they should be called out for influencing vulnerable people.

People can downplay it all they want but we saw the effects of the presidents words in other peoples actions. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I did a little math a couple days ago. Based on the deaths by age group demographic, 15-24 year olds have about a 1 in 320,000 chance of dying because of Covid. If we figure in that half that age group is girls, I would guess the chances for a male of that age would be more like 1 in 640,000. 

I think I see what you’re getting at, but you lost me here. Where does it say male fatality rate is lower than females? 

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I did a little math a couple days ago. Based on the deaths by age group demographic, 15-24 year olds have about a 1 in 320,000 chance of dying because of Covid. If we figure in that half that age group is girls, I would guess the chances for a male of that age would be more like 1 in 640,000.

That's not how ratios work. Unless you can show that the likelihood of contracting covid is different for each gender, then the ratio will be the same 1 in 320,000 for both genders.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

He has myocarditis. We know nothing more at this point, and of course we’ve got someone ‘reporting’ it as fact that he’s looking at permanent heart damage. 

Might does not equate to fact. Given how long we've known about COVID we don't know if any damage will be lifelong to anyone. That said myocarditis is a serious condition that does not always recover 100%. Though most cases of this and pulmonary fibrosis will likely recover, there is a possibility some people deal with these conditions long term. At a minimum this guys heart won't be back to normal for 3 months. That's pretty serious in and of itself. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Might does not equate to fact. Given how long we've known about COVID we don't know if any damage will be lifelong to anyone. That said myocarditis is a serious condition that does not always recover 100%. Though most cases of this and pulmonary fibrosis will likely recover, there is a possibility some people deal with these conditions long term. At a minimum this guys heart won't be back to normal for 3 months. That's pretty serious in and of itself. 

It really doesn't even matter.  All the matters is the fear part of it.  Parents are not going to be okay with their kid playing sports in the fall.  We have already had two instances (football and legion ball) here in Omaha and it is not even "bad" here.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It really doesn't even matter.  All the matters is the fear part of it.  Parents are not going to be okay with their kid playing sports in the fall.  We have already had two instances (football and legion ball) here in Omaha and it is not even "bad" here.  

I guess that's kind of what I'm saying too. Regardless of if its permanent or not no one wants a heart problem for 3 to 6 months. That is a scary prospect for most people. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I guess that's kind of what I'm saying too. Regardless of if its permanent or not no one wants a heart problem for 3 to 6 months. That is a scary prospect for most people. 

Yep!

This is my guess but I think OPS wanted to shut down sports BUT they did not want to be the ones to shut it down.  They hoped the NSAA would do it and be the "bad guy" but the NSAA didn't do it and now no one knows what to do.  Private schools can shut down sports but they know they will lose kids to schools that have not shut down.  

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am a parent of high school kids and 1 2nd grader. I want them to go to school full time and compete in sports. kids whose parents are at risk and older coaches and teachers that may be at risk should be given options. Schools could stream the lectures online for kids whose parents do not want them in school. Not sure how to protect teachers. Plexiglass wall around the desk and monitors? Might work for high school but not the little ones. Can a teacher stream in a lecture from home? You still need an aide in the classroom to make sure the kids stay there. Maybe hire a bunch young new teachers out of school that would love a paying job being an aide.  20 somethings don't care about COVID. Offer in class and online options. Let people choose. Online classes are a disaster for my kids. Our district took a survey and the overwhelming desire of parents was to let the kids go to school. 85% wanted it. The 15% are very vocal however. 

• Plus1 1