Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Is it time to just move this thread to another board/merge it with the others? Efforts to keep it on-topic have obviously been a complete failure.

Yeah, who could have seen a discussion about why a football season wouldn’t happen leading to so many posts about viruses and politics?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

Yeah, who could have seen a discussion about why a football season wouldn’t happen leading to so many posts about viruses and politics?

You know what is crazy...this is probably the most respectful and well rounded discussion on politics on the entire board!  Ha

• Plus1 1

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

Maybe some people are coming here and expecting to really learn whether there will be a season or not?  

Sure...but there is nothing to learn yet.  I mean, there is going to be an announcement that says yes/no for a season and it will come out when it comes out and we will all know then.  

The rest of it right now is just us guessing and killing time.  It isn't like anyone posting here has inside info on this topic.

14 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Fair enough. Here’s what my issue is, and it’s more general than just this tweet. 

I can say factually correct things, like:  ‘Experts say global deaths from Covid could reach 2 million worldwide’. Chances are that I may have found a couple of grad students that have a statistical model edge case that shows that many deaths in 2 years. Is that the scenario you were thinking when you read the headline?  Nothing factually incorrect, but was it representative of premise?

Here we have a report about a pitcher that we know is recovering from a COVID infection. Officially, it has been said that it is a ‘condition with his heart’. It hasn’t been said that this is as a result of COVID, or preexisting. A reporter took it upon himself to suggest it might be a certain condition that may be as a result of COVID. A twitter user then strongly suggested that it was this condition, which could lead to permanent heart damage, and it is a result of Coronavirus. 

Those are some leaps. Once again, not factually incorrect. But I would say some liberties have been taken in absence of facts. 

Given the information from the Red Socks I really don't think its a leap to connect the heart condition to COVID 19. So I guess we will just have to disagree because subsequently if you have a heart condition caused by COVID 19 the hard reality is we don't know how long that could last and some think it could be potentially life long damage for some. There is no telling who those people will be. To me it's not irresponsible to highlight this possible risk but thats just me.

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Given the information from the Red Socks I really don't think its a leap to connect the heart condition to COVID 19. So I guess we will just have to disagree because subsequently if you have a heart condition caused by COVID 19 the hard reality is we don't know how long that could last and some think it could be potentially life long damage for some. There is no telling who those people will be. To me it's not irresponsible to highlight this possible risk but thats just me.

Understood. I think what we’ve lacked in this whole thing was pensiveness.  Every amateur virologist, statistician, and now apparently cardiologist weighing in with information that is seconds old. That has been something that has frustrated me throughout. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Understood. I think what we’ve lacked in this whole thing was pensiveness.  Every amateur virologist, statistician, and now apparently cardiologist weighing in with information that is seconds old. That has been something that has frustrated me throughout. 

While I do disagree in this case I do understand where you are coming from. It's hard on both sides imo because its important we get information out there as fast as possible to help inform decisions but also in this situation the information is changing all of the time and is oftentimes(all the time?) incomplete so its a battle. The conservative approach to information probably gets more right about it over time but it also doesn't help as much in real time. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You know what is crazy...this is probably the most respectful and well rounded discussion on politics on the entire board!  Ha

Agreed. Folks, let me tell you something. I have visited some other boards from other fan bases. The discussion that they have about this topic is nothing. THIS board and this TOPIC has got to be the most in-depth, most well-rounded, most intriguing discussion of any of them. 

This topic on whether there will be a season or not cannot simply be based on a "yes" or "no" response. Too many moving parts. No matter what answer your choose you will get the response of "are you out of your mind?" 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

While I do disagree in this case I do understand where you are coming from. It's hard on both sides imo because its important we get information out there as fast as possible to help inform decisions in this situation the information is changing all of the time and is oftentimes(all the time?) incomplete so its a battle. The conservative approach to information probably gets more right about it over time but it also doesn't help as much in real time. 

I think being pensive about information doesn’t necessarily mean you fail to act quickly. Just act with the understanding that we don’t know everything, but are making the best decisions with the data in hand. 

Anyways, back to the topic...will there be a football season?    Maybe. 

38 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Let's look at this point by point. 

That is the crux of the problem at the moment, yes. 

Well, that's a pretty big thing to not be sure how to do, isn't it? 

I've seen a few examples of this, or drop cloth/clear plastic hung on PVC pipes, but not sure how effective this would be. Also, gonna need to find room in the budget for this kind of expenditure. 

This would be an absolute, unmitigated disaster; far worse than whatever experience you might have had with distance learning in the spring. You want to put a fresh out of school teacher on a teacher's aid salary and put them in a room by themselves with students they don't know and expect them to keep an orderly classroom? Without a cooperating teacher there to guide them and manage the classroom? Sounds like a great way to get nothing done, and completely jade an entire generation to the career field, in one of the absolute strangest and most crucial times in education (as well as aiding the transmission of the virus)? 

They should. 

These options and opinions are valid and are absolutely being considered, but they aren't going to be the ultimate deciding factor on what schools go forward with. You might just want to prepare yourself for the beginning of the school year, though. 

Our state gave a boat load of the stimulus money to the education system  (our governor came up the education ladder) and they have to spend it by the end of the year. I heard from a number teachers and the VP at our HS that our school district hasn't figured out how to spend what they have. It sounds like they have funds available to do a lot.

I was being sarcastic about hiring the young new grads and how they don't care about COVID. How about, anyone properly  trained and willing to sit in a classroom where a teacher does not want to be there.

Most of the teachers I know in my town (at least a couple dozen) want to go back. I know one....ironically a 20 something...who doesn't want to. 

I am spitballing ideas. I am sure there are educators smarter than I who can figure it out.

The decision came down yesterday anyway. 2 days in class 3 online to start. Some sports will be played in the fall others will not. The sport selection seemed to be based on popularity, because I doubt there is a revenue component. Its based on county infection rate per 100K people. I am not sure what the safety details are. If the rate goes up, we go full online. If it goes down we go back to school. Kids can opt out and be fully online.  All seems sort of arbitrary. If the kids are in school two days its gonna spread. They are not testing to my knowledge, so no one will know.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

While I do disagree in this case I do understand where you are coming from. It's hard on both sides imo because its important we get information out there as fast as possible to help inform decisions but also in this situation the information is changing all of the time and is oftentimes(all the time?) incomplete so its a battle. The conservative approach to information probably gets more right about it over time but it also doesn't help as much in real time. 

But what do we need to know in real time? That post does nothing but invoke more fear and paranoia in the masses. The problem is like others said we have drs and virologist who all have to interject their thoughts- all these people have a political belief and their posts usually are slanted one way or another. I just ask why do so many feel they have to chime in? Leave the current virus data and findings to some kind of official agency qualified to report on the data. IE CDC or others 

4 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I think being pensive about information doesn’t necessarily mean you fail to act quickly. Just act with the understanding that we don’t know everything, but are making the best decisions with the data in hand. 

Anyways, back to the topic...will there be a football season?    Maybe. 

I think part of the problem is everyone believes they are being pensive about it while others are not. Not saying that is you or I but I think that is something that has polluted the discussion.

As for football, my big question is around the MSU situation. If that happens in the season what do you do about that? What if contact tracing shuts down their previous opponent for 2 weeks as well? Multiple teams having to forfeit due to a quarantine kills the season fast imo