Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But what do we need to know in real time? 

Why do we need to know if this can cause permanent heart damage in real time? Is that a real question that needs to be asked? Potential permanent organ damage are findings that have been reported by official agencies qualified to be saying such things. We have evidence of these possible complications in similar coronaviruses like MERS. Initial studies show COVID 19 has potential for the same complications. 

1 minute ago, hunter49 said:

gee, that wasn't political, lol.

That entire conversation is political. Mods please move it to P&R 

37 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The rest of it right now is just us guessing and killing time.  It isn't like anyone posting here has inside info on this topic.

Yes, this is like one big game of Clue. I think it is Colonel Mustard, with the candlestick, in the kitchen. 

And really, what ELSE are we going to talk about? It's like listening to Chris Schmidt and he is talking about how improved the offense will be this season and how the defense needs to step it up. Well, that's all fine and dandy but you are still ignoring the elephant in the room. All of that is meaningless until there is an actual season or a game played. At this time, none of us know. Why waste energy on that?

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why do we need to know if this can cause permanent heart damage in real time? Is that a real question that needs to be asked? Potential permanent organ damage are findings that have been reported by official agencies qualified to be saying such things. We have evidence of these possible complications in similar coronaviruses like MERS. Initial studies show COVID 19 has potential for the same complications. 

So everyone with a twitter account should be providing an opinion real time? Is this dr that posted about this heart condition actually treating the player? Or analyzed his chart? Or are they making an uninformed claim based off some information they read online? That’s dangerous because some people will assume they are informed and credible just because they are a dr. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So everyone with a twitter account should be providing an opinion real time? Is this dr that posted about this heart condition actually treating the player? Or analyzed his chart? Or are they making an uninformed claim based off some information they read online? That’s dangerous because some people will assume they are informed and credible just because they are a dr. 

Not a doctor, a nurse. And that is kinda what twitter is.

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

gee, that wasn't political, lol.

Unfortunately that is now a big part of the problem, it is political. One side has chosen to ignore science, hide and fudge the numbers and downplay the risks which has allowed the spread to proliferate. And to a lesser extent the other side has seized the opportunity to sensationalize and use it as a weapon in the upcoming election. All of this exacerbates the amount of bad information citizens are receiving. However, there is a way forward for the average person.....listen to and pay attention to the least politically motivated of these people, the doctors, scientists, CDC and WHO.

I know people want politics kept out of this supposed football discussion but it's just not possible given the nature of the beast. If the politics of it are ignored, the real issues will be ignored 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Unfortunately that is now a big part of the problem, it is political. One side has chosen to ignore science, hide and fudge the numbers and downplay the risks which has allowed the spread to proliferate. And to a lesser extent the other side has seized the opportunity to sensationalize and use it as a weapon in the upcoming election. All of this exacerbates the amount of bad information citizens are receiving. However, there is a way forward for the average person.....listen to and pay attention to the least politically motivated of these people, the doctors, scientists, CDC and WHO.

I know people want politics kept out of this supposed football discussion but it's just not possible given the nature of the beast. If the politics of it are ignored, the real issues will be ignored 

Any major institution deriving support from directly from the government is political. 

• Fire 3
6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Initial studies show COVID 19 has potential for the same complications. 

I disagree. This covid conversation is not political; it is clinical medicine and has a direct association with student-athlete performance. AND will be taken into account on the ability to answer the question of "will there be a season?" This has everything to do with student-athlete performance and their short-term and long-term health. 

IF, and I say IF, we are to be concerned with student-athletes health and safety, this is a factor that needs to be considered. Quarantine and isolation is a short-term measure. It does not take into account long-term health for those that may be affected. Right now, most of us understand this as:

1. get a swab shoved up your nose until it hits the brain;

2. get the results back after a few days;

3. you are either negative or positive;

4. if you are positive, go isolate for 14 days;

5. if you are a negative, wear a mask;

6. if you are near the person who has been tested as positive; see you in 14 days. 

7. after 14 days, let's play. 

But this goes deeper than that. Let's put it this way. What if Clemson's Trevor Lawrence gets the virus? Simply have him sit out for 14 days? Sounds reasonable or cancel the game and have him ready for the next game after 14 days. But let us say that he develops myocarditis as a result of contracting the virus? There went his first round status but worse yet, his whole career and worse than that, his quality of life and ability at what we call "activities of daily living."

This talk of "they are young and healthy" means absolutely nothing in my view. Folks, I could list off a ton of peer-reviewed medical information on this alone that would scare you out of your mind. Failure to understand what happens to a person who does test positive is not the same as getting a cancer diagnosis BUT it can potentially have a profound effect on one's health.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

I disagree. This covid conversation is not political; it is clinical medicine and has a direct association with student-athlete performance. AND will be taken into account on the ability to answer the question of "will there be a season?" This has everything to do with student-athlete performance and their short-term and long-term health. 

IF, and I say IF, we are to be concerned with student-athletes health and safety, this is a factor that needs to be considered. Quarantine and isolation is a short-term measure. It does not take into account long-term health for those that may be affected. Right now, most of us understand this as:

1. get a swab shoved up your nose until it hits the brain;

2. get the results back after a few days;

3. you are either negative or positive;

4. if you are positive, go isolate for 14 days;

5. if you are a negative, wear a mask;

6. if you are near the person who has been tested as positive; see you in 14 days. 

7. after 14 days, let's play. 

But this goes deeper than that. Let's put it this way. What if Clemson's Trevor Lawrence gets the virus? Simply have him sit out for 14 days? Sounds reasonable or cancel the game and have him ready for the next game after 14 days. But let us say that he develops myocarditis as a result of contracting the virus? There went his first round status but worse yet, his whole career and worse than that, his quality of life and ability at what we call "activities of daily living."

This talk of "they are young and healthy" means absolutely nothing in my view. Folks, I could list off a ton of peer-reviewed medical information on this alone that would scare you out of your mind. Failure to understand what happens to a person who does test positive is not the same as getting a cancer diagnosis BUT it can potentially have a profound effect on one's health.

I was the one that made that comment and it was in reference to whether certain labels for COVID 19 are racist. That conversation is inherently political 

Other than that I completely agree with you on this

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I was the one that made that comment and it was in reference to whether certain labels for COVID 19 are racist. That conversation is inherently political 

Other than that I completely agree with you on this

My apologies if I misread that or failed to interpret it properly. But this is a very dicey conversation to have because it has so many moving parts with each having an impact on the ultimate decision of whether there will be a season this fall or not. A lot of things are being exposed and we, as humans, like to have some boogieman to blame for our problems or our failure to achieve. 

Anyone remember back in 1995 when the Huskers were going to play Florida? Everyone was saying "grass will be the key factor" as Nebraska does not play on grass and Florida did. Well, when that argument fell flat, they blamed it on Osborne playing Phillips. It would have been a butt-kicking no matter what because the defense played so well and the offensive line was over-powering and Florida could not tackle anyone. 

It is one thing to talk about how we lost to Ohio State and discussing all those intricacies, it is another to blame the loss on some new world order conspiracy. I mean, I could link every Nebraska loss to George Soros and the failure of our govt to disclose what happened at Roswell and the formation of the Majestic 12 as well as add the dimension of intersectionalism and critical race theory. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Maybe some people are coming here and expecting to really learn whether there will be a season or not?  

I've mostly tuned out this thread, not because I don't care about the topic, but because most posts aren't directly about the topic, and are instead just rehashing the same tired arguments that have played out all over America in the last few months.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Any major institution deriving support from directly from the government is political. 

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

You forgot to mention that the other side also hides and fudges numbers.  Also do you really think some of those groups mentioned at the end of paragraph 1 aren't motivated by politics?

I didn't mean to insinuate that politics aren't in play to some degree from all sources. But reasonable people have to acknowledge that doctors and scientists and even the organizations they work for have much less on the line politically than say Trump or Democrats or Republicans do.

It makes it way too easy to figure out people's agendas when they make it clear they favor the opinion or statements of politicians and political parties over those based on science and the best available facts.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

This is accurate. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I've mostly tuned out this thread, not because I don't care about the topic, but because most posts aren't directly about the topic, and are instead just rehashing the same tired arguments that have played out all over America in the last few months.

I disagree. Sure some deviate into tangents but each of those tangents can add a part that is essential to the overall equation. This potential suspension of the season is one that needs to be clearly thought out. There are three options right now.

1. full speed ahead;

2. caution;

3. cancellation;

People say to use the science or let science guide you. That's nice but it takes fallible human beings who are prone to error to have to interpret the data. If it were up to the medical people, they would have cancelled; but it is the college presidents who are waiting hoping that someone else pulls the trigger. 

But this opinion sheds some light:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_5c42f554-cdd0-11ea-9915-87d378cacbad.html

And even if coronavirus cases are moderately high, Burke said at some point there's a moral issue: Asymptomatic athletes getting routine tests are adding to the total, and labs have to choose which patients get their test results back first.

"So you're going to test a 20-year-old, asymptomatic player to make sure he can play," Burke said. "In the meantime, here's a 70-year-old who really needs to have a test, because they're high risk. What's more important? When you get right down to basic human rights, what's more important? Finding out if that 20-year-old can run out on the field, or finding out if that 70-year-old, if there's anything about that test that would maybe necessitate additional treatment that they need to get sooner than later?

It gets even more interesting. 

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2020/07/wed-all-dearly-miss-a-fall-without-college-football-but-spare-me-crocodile-tears-for-big-ten-lost-revenue-jones.html

But considering what’s ahead for everyone in this country, it might be time for all in big-time college athletics to accept a haircut and endeavor to make do with less. Maybe figure out a creative loan arrangement to bridge the gap and keep everyone employed, even if not for what they’ve been making.

To me, this is an indication that the media outrage machine is starting to gear up. 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I didn't mean to insinuate that politics aren't in play to some degree from all sources. But reasonable people have to acknowledge that doctors and scientists and even the organizations they work for have much less on the line politically than say Trump or Democrats or Republicans do.

It makes it way too easy to figure out people's agendas when they make it clear they favor the opinion or statements of politicians and political parties over those based on science and the best available facts.

Science can be political depending where their funding is coming from. Or if they are under pressure to get results or lose funding so they come to a conclusion. Or they have an ego and want to prove something right so they fudge numbers or take a result that’s 50/50 and make it 51/49 to make sure things meet the end result they want to get credit for a new breakthrough 

anytime humans are involved there is human error and corruption 

• Thanks 3