Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

Let's pick this apart.

1) Just because one hot spot shows up at a school doesn't mean the entire system would come to a halt.  That school would be likely done playing football for at least a couple weeks and perhaps the season. 

I see your point but in this day and age, I can easily see if there is a hot spot in one part of the state, let's say Lincoln, I can bet you the rest of the state's schools will shut down. That will then potentially trigger the dominoes. Let's call it the Rudy Gobert moment. (Gee, he will be the trivia question for "what player did the NBA shut down its season in 2020?" just like Wally Pipp). The contact tracing alone could fuel this.

Let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play at Iowa on Saturday, but a breakout occurs on Nebraska's campus on Thursday and school is shut down. You think Iowa is going to want to play Nebraska? Or let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play Iowa on Saturday in Lincoln and Nebraska has an outbreak on Wednesday. You think Iowa is going to come here?

2) There are College football players that have to go to the hospital every week of the season for various reasons.  Kids play football knowing that bad things can happen.  Covid is just added to the list now.  If schools choose to play, they are doing so with the understanding that a very small percentage will get sick and perhaps sick enough to require hospital care. 

We are not talking about two or three cases of rhabdomyolysis here from workouts. And I was under the impression that during this covid thing that "the highest priority was student-athlete health and safety." Did this change as the closer we get to the season? This plays the game of this covid is no different than that of the common cold. Then why in the heck are we even talking about having no season or if this is no different than that of the common cold, heck, why did MSU and Rutgers suspend workouts? 

And if student-athletes are going to the hospital every week of the season for various reasons, I would love to know what these reasons are. Care to tell me what these reasons are? 

Do you want to be the head coach that has to make the phone call to the parent that their student-athlete is in the hospital with Covid? Frost is a smart dude and I think he is smart enough to know he does not want to be in this situation. As per contract, in my view, this could be the grounds for "termination for cause". No one wants to stick their neck out in either direction but the safe move is to err on the side of extreme caution. 

3. Schools are going into this with eyes wide open.  If you insist; who am I to argue with you. But believe you me, they are making sure the abort button is going to work. 

49E7E59F-39C7-46F0-9125-036AD34D0B0B.jpeg

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, HANC said:

I believe Omahs public schools just suspended all practices for fall sports until first day of school. Not a good sign

Correct and correct

But a few OPS teams are happy...like Northwest, South, Bryan, Benson...haha...those teams COMBINED would not get 5 wins this year and combined might have 80 players.

2 hours ago, kansas45 said:

Let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play at Iowa on Saturday, but a breakout occurs on Nebraska's campus on Thursday and school is shut down. You think Iowa is going to want to play Nebraska? Or let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play Iowa on Saturday in Lincoln and Nebraska has an outbreak on Wednesday. You think Iowa is going to come here?

Okay so the Huskers stay in Lincoln that weekend and Iowa is idle.  

So why wouldn't Iowa play Minnesota the next week?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Okay so the Huskers stay in Lincoln that weekend and Iowa is idle.  

So why wouldn't Iowa play Minnesota the next week?

You're using a solution based on conventional wisdom for an unconventional situation. Imagine the standings after six weeks with numerous postponements and cancellations along with unpredictable outbreaks and rises in cases along with resource availability coupled with high and low density population areas and 50 states with 50 different public health officials along with each schools own medical experts and their own aversion to risk aided by the fact that each state can impose travel restrictions and quarantine periods. 

• Plus1 1

There’s a breakdown of the 1918 season on another, familiar, Husker website which includes newspaper clippings of headlines and links to articles. There were multiple cancellations week of, plus rescheduled the ND game twice. They ended up playing 6 out of their 10 scheduled games. I could potentially see them attempting something like that, but I doubt they’ll play a game this season. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

There’s a breakdown of the 1918 season on another, familiar, Husker website which includes newspaper clippings of headlines and links to articles. There were multiple cancellations week of, plus rescheduled the ND game twice. They ended up playing 6 out of their 10 scheduled games. I could potentially see them attempting something like that, but I doubt they’ll play a game this season. 

I agree.  Games are money.  They will try their hardest to get as many in as possible.  

I wonder how many other P5 schools had some sort of "rainy day fund" like NU's?  I'd guess probably most didn't and are regretting it.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

There were no lawyers advertising on street trolleys nor was Twitter around. 

The media outrage machine is getting warmed up. Just remember, I called it. 

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/7/27/21340727/major-league-baseball-coronavirus-outbreak-could-mean-for-college-football-miami-marlins

13 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/7/27/21340727/major-league-baseball-coronavirus-outbreak-could-mean-for-college-football-miami-marlins

I don’t have much of a “source,” but I trust what he told me was legitimate, so I’d be content with any game this season. Not getting my hopes up

38 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

There were also no child labor laws and women couldn't vote. 

• Plus1 3

I think people need to cut schools some slack right now.  Of course they are trying to play games, it make sense that they are trying and hoping for the very best.  So is every business owner in America.  

In the end we all know it won't happen but if it was you and you were in charge and it was your department, you would be doing/praying/hoping all you could to make it happen too.

College football is not important...but the money it brings in is...just like to the bar owner...the booze is not important but the freaking money it brings in is...

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I think people need to cut schools some slack right now.  Of course they are trying to play games, it make sense that they are trying and hoping for the very best.  So is every business owner in America.  

In the end we all know it won't happen but if it was you and you were in charge and it was your department, you would be doing/praying/hoping all you could to make it happen too.

College football is not important...but the money it brings in is...just like to the bar owner...the booze is not important but the freaking money it brings in is...

Thank you. 

we are planning as if we’re going to open. We have to. However we have to have a contingency plan available within 2 weeks to seamlessly shift to virtual.  Add in procedures for determining compensatory education for all Sped and 504 students, and then actually designing a compensatory program and it’s a planning nightmare. 

Parents were given a completely virtual option and 4000 of them took it. About 30.% The district has to pay for chrome books and WiFi hotspots for all.  We have Cares Act money but not sure how far that’s going to go.  The chrome books are now delayed in delivery. 

• Thanks 2