Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

And the next domino falls:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/07/21/nfl-cancel-2020-preseason-agrees-reduced-training-camp-rosters/5483773002/

The NFL Players Association and league's owners have agreed to scrap the 2020 preseason while also reducing the size of training camp rosters. 

If NFL actually plays, it will be interesting to see games with no preseason warmup.  However, this is probably just moving things closer to cancellation by small steps.  If NFL cancels, I don't see how colleges can justify playing.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

If NFL actually plays, it will be interesting to see games with no preseason warmup.  However, this is probably just moving things closer to cancellation by small steps.  If NFL cancels, I don't see how colleges can justify playing.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29550398/ravon-bonner-says-illinois-teammate-jake-cerny-sitting-due-covid-19-concerns

Are the cracks starting to appear when two Illini players are planning on sitting out? Will we be seeing more of this? 

4 hours ago, kansas45 said:

You're using a solution based on conventional wisdom for an unconventional situation. Imagine the standings after six weeks with numerous postponements and cancellations along with unpredictable outbreaks and rises in cases along with resource availability coupled with high and low density population areas and 50 states with 50 different public health officials along with each schools own medical experts and their own aversion to risk aided by the fact that each state can impose travel restrictions and quarantine periods. 

I have a solution.  Teams start the season in late September, play 10 games or what they can, and then we vote on who had the best season, and the winner is declared national champion.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, kansas45 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29550398/ravon-bonner-says-illinois-teammate-jake-cerny-sitting-due-covid-19-concerns

Are the cracks starting to appear when two Illini players are planning on sitting out? Will we be seeing more of this? 

probably and some NFL defections too, although i don't care, i have canceled their season myself.

way too much political bulls#!t!

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If anyone thinks (or ever thought) that athletes were somehow not going to get the virus, I am not what they could have been thinking.   Eventually nearly everyone will get it.  A vaccine may someday help reduce deaths or even sickness for most, but it is not going away without it.   

Either society has to come to grips with this or it wont but the virus is a part of life around the world.  

There are a few medical experts who actually feel the worst of the virus is behind us but I don't see it. We could be as close as 100,000,000 infections nationwide and the recent surge may give us enough concurrent infections to create some herd effect.  This could in turn slow things for several more months and vaccines and hydroxichloroquine could bring it down some more.  Death rates still very low.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, hunter49 said:

probably and some NFL defections too, although i don't care, i have canceled their season myself.

way too much political bulls#!t!

Gosh darn those NFL players who use their high profile to stand for things they believe in!

I appreciate the military and am grateful for those who protect our country, but the military were the ones who paid the NFL to put the National Anthem on TV before games.  The US Military is part of the NFL marketing machine.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, kansas45 said:

Let's pick this apart.

1) Just because one hot spot shows up at a school doesn't mean the entire system would come to a halt.  That school would be likely done playing football for at least a couple weeks and perhaps the season. 

Let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play at Iowa on Saturday, but a breakout occurs on Nebraska's campus on Thursday and school is shut down. You think Iowa is going to want to play Nebraska? Or let's say Nebraska is scheduled to play Iowa on Saturday in Lincoln and Nebraska has an outbreak on Wednesday. You think Iowa is going to come here? 

14 hours ago, kansas45 said:

And if student-athletes are going to the hospital every week of the season for various reasons, I would love to know what these reasons are. Care to tell me what these reasons are? 

How would your scenario impact say a couple of SEC games?  Your claim that the whole thing will stop because of one school doesn't add up.  

Kids do go to the hospital for a pile of different things every week of the season.  Here is a link showing some of the examples- https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-injury-tracker-2019-season-ending-injuries--134411638/

One case of a kid going to the hospital for Covid wouldn't shut the whole thing down.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Australian open postponed? I thought it was all hunky dory down there.

Crazy, according to many in this thread we were the only ones with an out of control problem.

"The tournament was scheduled for Kingston Heath Golf Club in Melbourne, which has been in lockdown due to a large increase in COVID-19 deaths and infections over the past two months."

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

How would your scenario impact say a couple of SEC games?  Your claim that the whole thing will stop because of one school doesn't add up.  

Kids do go to the hospital for a pile of different things every week of the season.  Here is a link showing some of the examples- https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-injury-tracker-2019-season-ending-injuries--134411638/

One case of a kid going to the hospital for Covid wouldn't shut the whole thing down.

You are probably right that a cancelled Nebraska game does not impact the SEC. But I do think that the media outrage machine will question the wisdom which will put pressure on those conferences. There will be serious talk about what is college football really attempting to accomplish here. 

I will argue that your injury tracker is not about hospitalizations; those are typically orthopedic injuries and do not have ICU status. But then, hey, let's play; covid is something we have to live with; those schools that cancelled their seasons over a silly little virus that is nothing more than the common cold were foolish. No need to cancel anything. A student-athlete who gets it, hey, its no different than a sprained ankle.

This is my new mantra: I will be following your logic that if a student-athlete of any age who gets it and then goes to the ICU and is on a ventilator or gets a vascular or cardiac-related situation that prevents them from playing, well, hey, that's just the risk they have to take. And if they die, no big deal, student-athletes die on occasion.  

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

You are probably right that a cancelled Nebraska game does not impact the SEC. But I do think that the media outrage machine will question the wisdom which will put pressure on those conferences. There will be serious talk about what is college football really attempting to accomplish here. 

I will argue that your injury tracker is not about hospitalizations; those are typically orthopedic injuries and do not have ICU status. But then, hey, let's play; covid is something we have to live with; those schools that cancelled their seasons over a silly little virus that is nothing more than the common cold were foolish. No need to cancel anything. A student-athlete who gets it, hey, its no different than a sprained ankle.

This is my new mantra: I will be following your logic that if a student-athlete of any age who gets it and then goes to the ICU and is on a ventilator or gets a vascular or cardiac-related situation that prevents them from playing, well, hey, that's just the risk they have to take. And if they die, no big deal, student-athletes die on occasion.  

Where have I said it is like the common cold?  Or anyone else on this thread for that matter?  I agree, this virus can be serious for some-especially older people with underlying conditions.  However, all the data we currently have suggests that it is extremely rare for it to have even a moderate effect on college age athletes.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1