Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

27 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Crazy, according to many in this thread we were the only ones with an out of control problem.

"The tournament was scheduled for Kingston Heath Golf Club in Melbourne, which has been in lockdown due to a large increase in COVID-19 deaths and infections over the past two months."

Why should they cancel? They knew the risk and understood that they could get sick. No reason for this; people die all the time; this covid is no different than the common cold. I say they cancelled for no reason and are looking foolish. Golfers know the risks and understand that they could get sick and go to the hospital; no reason to shut this down. Golfers go to the hospital all the time for things such as sprained ankles, a knee injury, a cut on their pinky, a blister on their foot from tight fitting golf shoes or, God forbid, someone not yelling "fore!!!" and getting hit in the head with a high velocity, low mass golf ball. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, kansas45 said:

Why should they cancel? They knew the risk and understood that they could get sick. No reason for this; people die all the time; this covid is no different than the common cold. I say they cancelled for no reason and are looking foolish. Golfers know the risks and understand that they could get sick and go to the hospital; no reason to shut this down. Golfers go to the hospital all the time for things such as sprained ankles, a knee injury, a cut on their pinky, a blister on their foot from tight fitting golf shoes or, God forbid, someone not yelling "fore!!!" and getting hit in the head with a high velocity, low mass golf ball. 

One simple answer - age.  Older people are exponentially at a higher risk of serious Covid infections.  I thought you were well versed on this?  

average age PGA player = 35 years old

Regardless of those outliers, and a few were above the 50 year old mark, the average age of a professional golfer looks like it's right around 35 years old.
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Crazy, according to many in this thread we were the only ones with an out of control problem.

"The tournament was scheduled for Kingston Heath Golf Club in Melbourne, which has been in lockdown due to a large increase in COVID-19 deaths and infections over the past two months."

This just highlights the differences between Australia and here. A spike in deaths in Australia causing them to shut things down is 10 deaths a day. They have had 167 deaths total. If Australia's leadership were in charge of our country there would be no debate about sports this fall. They wouldn't be happening.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

This just highlights the differences between Australia and here. A spike in deaths in Australia causing them to shut things down is 10 deaths. They have had 167 deaths total. If Australia's leadership were in charge of our country there would be no debate about sports this fall. They wouldn't be happening.

The irony of that post. :D 

Australia 

W02883m.png

America

CnCGFZt.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

One simple answer - age.  Older people are exponentially at a higher risk of serious Covid infections.  I thought you were well versed on this?  

average age PGA player = 35 years old

Regardless of those outliers, and a few were above the 50 year old mark, the average age of a professional golfer looks like it's right around 35 years old.

I am well-versed on this, probably more than you are but I am just following your logic. You are the one that put up the orthopedic evidence of a knee injury=hospitalization is the same as covid=hospitalization. 

If we follow your logic, then Tom Brady should NOT be playing this fall. Scott Frost should NOT be coaching this fall. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This just highlights the differences between Australia and here. A spike in deaths in Australia causing them to shut things down is 10 deaths a day. They have had 167 deaths total. If Australia's leadership were in charge of our country there would be no debate about sports this fall. They wouldn't be happening.

But Australia is still playing soccer?  Is it at least possible that they understand that this impacts people differently?  Average age of their professional soccer player is 10 years younger than the average PGA player.

I believe college football can be played this fall with very little risk to participants simply based on the science and data that is available.    

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

I am well-versed on this, probably more than you are but I am just following your logic. You are the one that put up the orthopedic evidence of a knee injury=hospitalization is the same as covid=hospitalization. 

If we follow your logic, then Tom Brady should NOT be playing this fall. Scott Frost should NOT be coaching this fall. 

But I didn't say it was the same.  Your initial claim was that if one player was hospitalized, the whole thing would be shut down.  I disagreed and said that players end up in the hospital for various reasons weekly.  One case wouldn't be a death sentence.  You asked me for examples of this.  

You over react to everything posted if it doesn't align with your beliefs.  Step back and look at the current data we have.  College age athletes in the best shape of their lives are much more likely to suffer serious health problems from a plethora of things that aren't covid.    

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

But Australia is still playing soccer?  Is it at least possible that they understand that this impacts people differently?  Average age of their professional soccer player is 10 years younger than the average PGA player.

I believe college football can be played this fall with very little risk to participants simply based on the science and data that is available.    

We had multiple times more cases and deaths just yesterday than they have had the entire time. I'll say it again, if Australian leadership were in charge here right now, this wouldn't be a discussion. Sports wouldn't be happening. 

And let's break things down a bit here. The soccer league is taking place in Sydney which is not on a lockdown. In Australia they have just shut down one area of their country where this outbreak is occurring. When you are ahead of the virus you can do things like that 

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We had multiple times more cases and deaths just yesterday than they have had the entire time. I'll say it again, if Australian leadership were in charge here right now, this wouldn't be a discussion. Sports wouldn't be happening. 

And let's break things down a bit here. The soccer league is taking place in Sydney which is not on a lockdown. In Australia they have just shut down one area of their country where this outbreak is occurring. When you are ahead of the virus you can do things like that 

Our countries economy couldn't sustain more lock downs.  They have suppressed cases but are still far from eliminating it.  How long can a country do this and at what price?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-australia-virus-cases.html

Authorities admitted a second wave of clusters in Melbourne was taking longer to suppress than hoped.

But the state's top health official voiced optimism that a partial lockdown of five million people, now in its third week, was working.

23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

But I didn't say it was the same.  Your initial claim was that if one player was hospitalized, the whole thing would be shut down.  I disagreed and said that players end up in the hospital for various reasons weekly.  One case wouldn't be a death sentence.  You asked me for examples of this.  

You over react to everything posted if it doesn't align with your beliefs.  Step back and look at the current data we have.  College age athletes in the best shape of their lives are much more likely to suffer serious health problems from a plethora of things that aren't covid.    

I may have mentioned this in another post, but the stats on that aircraft carrier that was pulled out of deployment due to a COVID outbreak, came out a while back. I do not remember the exact numbers, but.....Approx 5000 on-board. Approx 1200 got COVID, 98% asymptomatic or mild symptoms, 2 hospitalized. I did not hear the age of who was hospitalized, but l assume most of the crew are between 19 and 29 with older officers. I thought that was an interesting data point.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Our countries economy couldn't sustain more lock downs.

America has not locked down. You were never prevented from leaving your home, you could always go out, and many folks have, without following CDC guidance from early April to wear masks to curb spread. 

And here we are. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Our countries economy couldn't sustain more lock downs.  They have suppressed cases but are still far from eliminating it.  How long can a country do this and at what price?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-australia-virus-cases.html

Authorities admitted a second wave of clusters in Melbourne was taking longer to suppress than hoped.

But the state's top health official voiced optimism that a partial lockdown of five million people, now in its third week, was working.

This is becoming a conversation for the P&R thread but you a greatly overestimating how much a lockdown hurts the economy compared to our current model. What we are doing now is hurting the economy. The fact of the matter is, if we had numbers anywhere in the range of Australia(adjusted for pop even) we could be rebuilding the economy right now. Little clusters of COVID still pop up but that is far more manageable than what we are dealing with now. Life would be closer to normal had we done things right and suppressed this hard in the first go round and it would take far less to suppress the subsequent waves. Jmo 

• Plus1 2