Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Again this isn't the thread for this conversation and I disagree with so much about this post so I'm just going to leave it be as to not further get into the weeds. 

Ultimately it will go from the top down. HS will push ahead for now but it NFL cancels, NCAA cancels and shortly after most HS will too. 

I value your opinion and this country has always thrived on them and always will.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I value your opinion and this country has always thrived on them and always will.

Thats fine I'm not saying your opinion isn't also valued, but perhaps in the P&R COVID thread as to keep this thread more on the topic of will there be a football season 

13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Thats fine I'm not saying your opinion isn't also valued, but perhaps in the P&R COVID thread as to keep this thread more on the topic of will there be a football season 

If there isnt a football season it will be because of the reaction to this virus and eveything i have stated is related to this

But you keep posting and i will move on.

• Plus1 1

Since it appears fatality is becoming less of an issue. I just want to ask a question to all- please pause and actually think about it. Remove all politics out of the equation and answer honestly. 

If when this virus started- we all knew the fatality rate was this low. The main cause for concern is a low percentage of people may have long term or short term side effects. Would we be talking about shutting down businesses, shutting down sports, schools etc? 

I honestly dont think so. Sometimes when you go so far down the rabbit hole. People dig in their heels on what they believe and want that narrative to be true. But sometimes you have to pause- look at all the facts and say wait a minute we are going down the wrong path here. I just think people have been in such hysteria since this thing broke that no one has paused and said ok what are the actual risks here. 

I just dont think people would freak out over a small percentage of people with side effects. Hell have you ever read the small percentage of side effects they show on almost every prescription drug? Heart attack, stroke, on and on. No one worries about popping the pill when their is risk.

I just feel like the country is in this mob mentality and people have lost their f#&%ing minds. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Since it appears fatality is becoming less of an issue. I just want to ask a question to all- please pause and actually think about it. Remove all politics out of the equation and answer honestly. 

If when this virus started- we all knew the fatality rate was this low. The main cause for concern is a low percentage of people may have long term or short term side effects. Would we be talking about shutting down businesses, shutting down sports, schools etc? 

I honestly dont think so. Sometimes when you go so far down the rabbit hole. People dig in their heels on what they believe and want that narrative to be true. But sometimes you have to pause- look at all the facts and say wait a minute we are going down the wrong path here. I just think people have been in such hysteria since this thing broke that no one has paused and said ok what are the actual risks here. 

I just dont think people would freak out over a small percentage of people with side effects. Hell have you ever read the small percentage of side effects they show on almost every prescription drug? Heart attack, stroke, on and on. No one worries about popping the pill when their is risk.

I just feel like the country is in this mob mentality and people have lost their f#&%ing minds. 

Fatality has and remains to be estimated at between 0.5% and 1%. That fatality rate doesn't change a thing. Still more than enough to overwhelm hospitals and leave more dead than really fathomable. I mean how many deaths before you say this is serious and we have done the right thing to mitigate against it? 150k dead already. How many more before you say, 'hey maybe I was wrong' 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If when this virus started- we all knew the fatality rate was this low.

There's a really big assumption here that the fatality rate is constant. One of the big reasons the fatality rate is lower now is because the hospitals are not currently overwhelmed, which can change if the number of cases continues to increase. But we've also had more time to try different treatments and mitigation strategies, so we should expect that the fatality rate would start off higher and then get lower as healthcare finds better methods and more research is done.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Fatality has and remains to be estimated at between 0.5% and 1%. That fatality rate doesn't change a thing. Still more than enough to overwhelm hospitals and leave more dead than really fathomable. I mean how many deaths before you say this is serious and we have done the right thing to mitigate against it? 150k dead already. How many more before you say, 'hey maybe I was wrong' 

We will soon find out.

Ohio State to limit to 20,000 fans;

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29553289/ohio-state-cap-20k-fans-ban-tailgating

Texas to have 50,000 fans.

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/ncaa/longhorns/texas-coronavirus-college-football-ut-austin-update-health/269-15f6a3f4-e214-4770-8c78-328fff56c9f1

Austin's Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott said the City's health department was "caught off guard""My concern is that disease spread in that college-age group, and certainly in the high school age group, is going to look different from professional sports," Escott said. "It's going to impact people of color who are athletes. It's going to impact families of those athletes who are the least-resourced to get the healthcare they need. They are at higher risk than the rest of the community in terms of hospitalization and death." 

4 hours ago, kansas45 said:

I am well-versed on this, probably more than you are but I am just following your logic. You are the one that put up the orthopedic evidence of a knee injury=hospitalization is the same as covid=hospitalization. 

If we follow your logic, then Tom Brady should NOT be playing this fall. Scott Frost should NOT be coaching this fall. 

Tom Brady should not be playing in Florida. 

Scott Frost should not be coaching from the sidelines. 

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's a really big assumption here that the fatality rate is constant. One of the big reasons the fatality rate is lower now is because the hospitals are not currently overwhelmed, which can change if the number of cases continues to increase. But we've also had more time to try different treatments and mitigation strategies, so we should expect that the fatality rate would start off higher and then get lower as healthcare finds better methods and more research is done.

This article sounds like we have a good treatment but politics have gotten in the way. 

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535?fbclid=IwAR1fJW5UDrUPrOtgrxQSVQWxFPAuxGgtQvSMNt3vpegTaP2nEJocufbPDYQ

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Actual data from several trials does not support that one doctor's opinion:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-halts-clinical-trial-hydroxychloroquine

https://medcitynews.com/2020/07/hydroxychloroquine-flunks-phase-iii-trial-in-mild-to-moderate-covid-19/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

CONCLUSIONS
Among patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin, did not improve clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/three-big-studies-dim-hopes-hydroxychloroquine-can-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Praised by presidents as a potential miracle cure and dismissed by others as a deadly distraction, hydroxychloroquine was spared a seeming death blow last week. On 4 June, after critics challenged the data, The Lancet suddenly retracted a paper that had suggested the drug increased the death rate in COVID-19 patients, a finding that had stopped many clinical trials in their tracks. But now three large studies, two in people exposed to the virus and at risk of infection and the other in severely ill patients, show no benefit from the drug. Coming on top of earlier smaller trials with disappointing findings, the new results mean it’s time to move on, some scientists say, and end most of the trials still in progress.

• Plus1 2

Sounds to me like you have "some" scientists against it. "some" scientists are a proponent of it. Which scientist to believe. Which study to believe? I cannot believe there can be such divide when it comes to everything on this issue. Sorry but Politics is the one thing that explains why there is such a divide. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Sounds to me like you have "some" scientists against it. "some" scientists are a proponent of it. Which scientist to believe. Which study to believe? I cannot believe there can be such divide when it comes to everything on this issue. Sorry but Politics is the one thing that explains why there is such a divide. 

And lots of money.  I'm sure no drug companies competing for the miracle cure are going to roll over easily if something else is found to work.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

There's really big difference between scientists disagreeing and clinical trial data.

• Fire 1