Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is it deadlier than the flu though? If you had no flu vaccine how many more would it kill? Also coronavirus is lingering around longer so it has a chance to kill more due to longevity. The reason everyone accepts the flu is because we all know it has always been around, we know there is no cure so we accept it because we can’t change it. Coronavirus is new, if the day comes we have a vaccine and it comes back every year like the flu- like some believe it may be here to stay. 10 years from now we will become numb to it just like the flu and accept it 

So no football for 10 years?

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Same. Never thought we'd be here, but this is our reality now. And really, it's no worse than wearing pants in public.

I liken it to a seatbelt. People were getting killed on highways needlessly. The seatbelt law became the standard. Easy thing to do, and allowed us to continue getting placed faster. Much preferable than making the speed limit 15 mph. 

• Plus1 4
16 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

I think we’re talking past each other. I’m not comparing the infections pathogenically.  All I’m saying is folks that say ‘this is just the flu’ are wrong. But people saying ‘this isn’t just the flu’ are also perhaps understating how devastating the flu is every year, as well as it’s long term effects. 

I suppose when things become ‘normal’ and part of the vernacular, human beings learn to calm themselves and adapt. I don’t bat an eye when someone in my family comes down with the flu. I ask them if they want me to bring soup or something. It never really occurs to me that more than a handful of people of all ages die of it every year. 

Hard to  disagree with you. I think the inconsistent severity and the mentality that there isn't much more we can do about the flu also lends to this attitude. But to your point the flu is serious as well and realistically any given year could do alot more damage than we have seen even with this. Spanish Flu was H1N1 and while we do have more tools than we did in 1918, we can still miss the mark with the vaccine and those types of events are still possible with influenza. There are definitely alot of lessons to be learned from COVID 19 that apply beyond this one disease for sure. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I liken it to a seatbelt. People were getting killed on highways needlessly. The seatbelt law became the standard. Easy thing to do, and allowed us to continue getting placed faster. Much preferable than making the speed limit 15 mph. 

Aren't deaths by car like, pretty much the same for the last 15 years or so...

I feel like it should be way lower with seatbelts and airbags and better built cars.

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

If the season is cancelled how will roster sizes work for 2021 hoping that we are in the clear by next fall? If SRs are able to comeback I'm sure most of them will. Will they make freshmen redshirt? Otherwise they get a free year to get ready. They could possible make the SRs who already redshirted bounce, but there will be a lot of push back on that. 

I imagine there will be a one to two year expansion of scholarships to accommodate for seniors that want to stay as well as freshmen classes. 

That would be allowing plenty of spacing.  probably seat about every 4th row, every fourth seat or maybe pairs for household members together. 

- kind of a lot of trouble for not much $ “net” really.  

- sell 5000 tickets to 5 games, no concessions or rest rooms likely.  

- just a headache.  

- no band.  no cheerleaders

- guess they can ramp up audio from a late 90s crowd for sound so it wont seem like a funeral -  lol

• Plus1 1

This just in:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29559317/penn-state-reports-8-positive-athletes

Penn State reported eight positive coronavirus tests on Wednesday.

The athletic department conducted a total of 466 tests of student-athletes as of July 24, and there are still 66 results pending.

The tests were for student-athletes only, not staff, and across all sports, according to a school spokesperson.