Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

You forgot to factor in the 10x for unconfirmed cases and also realize that young people think they are bullet proof so that number is probably 13x which lowers those bumbers to 0.2-0.6%

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

You forgot to factor in the 10x for unconfirmed cases and also realize that young people think they are bullet proof so that number is probably 13x which lowers those bumbers to 0.2-0.6%

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

23 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

St Louis Cardinals have an additional 4-6 positive tests this morning. If numbers continue to go up, I wouldn't be surprised to see MLB cancel and that would be bad news for CFB and NFL. I'd guess NFL would look hard about moving to a bubble system. So far the NBA, NHL, MLS and MLB have seemed to show it's bubble or bust. 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, BIG ERN said:

I'm curious on others thoughts on this board....if Covid-19 was killing kids at the rate of older citizens - would you then be mad that Trump calls this the Chinese Virus? I truly believe we would already be in a World War with them if that was the case and way more people would be on board. 

No, I am not saying he is right for saying this at this time or we should be at war - I just feel since it isn't kids then people kind of let a lot of things slide. 

it doesn't matter what you call it, it came from China, they hatched it. yes, if many children were dying from it across the world there would be a war over it for sure.

this has turned into a can of worms with threats and demands from all involved. depending on how it is handled there could be a ton of portal transfers due to any new policy (conference) changes. at this point the season should be scraped and a complete reorganization under taken.

this is an opportunity for kids to get "pay for play" or hurdle right to the next draft without playing another down. sad what this virus has done to the fabric of America, it will never be the same. allegations of social injustice will be rampant going forward and the whole CF experience will be a blurred mess. another sport lost along with all pro sports for me. soon high school players will want a piece of the pie. nothing left but rubble.

20 hours ago, kansas45 said:

I told you all that this was going to happen at a PAC 12 school. This pandemic has laid bare the entire college football structure.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29578950/pac-12-player-group-threatens-opt-makes-list-demands-injustice-safety

A group of Pac-12 football players from multiple schools is threatening to opt out of both preseason camps and games until its negotiations with the league regarding concerns about racial injustice, their safety during the coronavirus pandemic and other demands are completed.

The group's list of demands, according to the text message, includes safe play amid the pandemic, fighting racial injustice, securing economic rights and fair compensation, protecting all sports and obtaining long-term health insurance.

CFB players are starting realize their worth. Good.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

it doesn't matter what you call it, it came from China, they hatched it. yes, if many children were dying from it across the world there would be a war over it for sure.

this has turned into a can of worms with threats and demands from all involved. depending on how it is handled there could be a ton of portal transfers due to any new policy (conference) changes. at this point the season should be scraped and a complete reorganization under taken.

this is an opportunity for kids to get "pay for play" or hurdle right to the next draft without playing another down. sad what this virus has done to the fabric of America, it will never be the same. allegations of social injustice will be rampant going forward and the whole CF experience will be a blurred mess. another sport lost along with all pro sports for me. soon high school players will want a piece of the pie. nothing left but rubble.

You need to fix your quoting machine 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

Get ready folks, media people are starting to ask the really tough questions. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/it-s-not-fair-of-them-to-risk-anything-covid-19-vs-college-football-season/article_ac82a014-d285-11ea-b979-9f5e4f555557.html

Yep. Things  are about to get really uncomfortable for the conferences and FB programs.  

31 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Yep. Things  are about to get really uncomfortable for the conferences and FB programs

Folks, we have forgot to add this variable that no one has even mentioned. Brand name and recognition and reputation. 

Many of you remember Kent State in 1970. Even a song came out by Neil Young called "Ohio". Kent State even tried to rebrand themselves as "Kent" to offset the image.

Remember Penn State and the abuse allegations and what it did to that place? Baylor? Of course these were sexual assault. But still, the image of the university and its reputation was greatly impacted.

What happens to a celebrity and a scandal? It always follows them. For example, we know about OJ Simpson. But what is always the first sentence? OJ Simpson, who was linked to the infamous killing of two people, saved the life of two boys today who were nearly drowning in the ocean. 

So, if something occurs at the University of Nebraska such as a player being hospitalized for covid or dies from this or gets a long term health consequence, it could take a generation or more or even a decade to fully recover from such a negative event. It will impact recruiting in that the perception will be that they do not care about you, or will skirt the protocols, or will have some other negative connotation with it even if the allegation is totally unsubstantiated. 

Remember the University of Maryland player that died during the workouts? There was an investigation, the media was all over it and someone was going to be blamed and lose their job. This is how it works:

1. event occurs;

2. media goes bonkers over it;

3. university responds in effort at damage control and promises to do an investigation;

4. investigation ensues, media still going bonkers, someone is blamed and is fired;

5. university sends out press release saying that there guidelines and protocols are finely tuned now;

6. lawsuit occurs;

7. media goes bonkers;

8. quietly resolved in out-of-court settlement years after event occurred; 

Now, how much damage control and loss of reputation are you willing to take to make sure that college football is going to be played at the University of Nebraska? Husker football and the athletic department may lose money by not playing football, but what will be the true cost to reputation and brand name loss? 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

Folks, we have forgot to add this variable that no one has even mentioned. Brand name and recognition and reputation. 

Many of you remember Kent State in 1970. Even a song came out by Neil Young called "Ohio". Kent State even tried to rebrand themselves as "Kent" to offset the image.

Remember Penn State and the abuse allegations and what it did to that place? Baylor? Of course these were sexual assault. But still, the image of the university and its reputation was greatly impacted.

What happens to a celebrity and a scandal? It always follows them. For example, we know about OJ Simpson. But what is always the first sentence? OJ Simpson, who was linked to the infamous killing of two people, saved the life of two boys today who were nearly drowning in the ocean. 

So, if something occurs at the University of Nebraska such as a player being hospitalized for covid or dies from this or gets a long term health consequence, it could take a generation or more or even a decade to fully recover from such a negative event. It will impact recruiting in that the perception will be that they do not care about you, or will skirt the protocols, or will have some other negative connotation with it even if the allegation is totally unsubstantiated. 

Remember the University of Maryland player that died during the workouts? There was an investigation, the media was all over it and someone was going to be blamed and lose their job. This is how it works:

1. event occurs;

2. media goes bonkers over it;

3. university responds in effort at damage control and promises to do an investigation;

4. investigation ensues, media still going bonkers, someone is blamed and is fired;

5. university sends out press release saying that there guidelines and protocols are finely tuned now;

6. lawsuit occurs;

7. media goes bonkers;

8. quietly resolved in out-of-court settlement years after event occurred; 

Now, how much damage control and loss of reputation are you willing to take to make sure that college football is going to be played at the University of Nebraska? Husker football and the athletic department may lose money by not playing football, but what will be the true cost to reputation and brand name loss? 

Kansas, please elaborate.  I'm not sure everyone here really understands.  Maybe include a few more examples and a couple more paragraphs on your opinion.

If the entire league plays, one school won't be singled out regardless of what happens.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Kansas, please elaborate.  I'm not sure everyone here really understands.  Maybe include a few more examples and a couple more paragraphs on your opinion.

If the entire league plays, one school won't be singled out regardless of what happens.  

I think I laid out the examples quite well for you and the process by which it will occur and the questions of reputation, brand image and recognition and how that will impact perception which will impact recruiting which will ultimately lead to Nebraska being mired in competitive frustration. 

But I disagree with your "all for one" thinking; if the entire league plays, each individual school where an incident occurs is where the lawsuits direction will focus on, not the entire league. No one will sue the Big 10 as that encompasses 14 schools; those other schools are not going to want to pony up for someone else's problem. 

And can you tell me, with total precision and accuracy coupled with a guarantee, that a single school will NOT be singled out regardless of what happens? Are you really sure about this? 

And do you want the image, brand, reputation of the Huskers tarnished? Are you Hilltop, being of sound mind and memory, willing to take that chance? I keep asking you these questions but you always deflect and dodge saying "I am not in charge here", "I do not have all the information", "I am not paid to make this decision" and other things. Are you willing to accept any student-athletes altered life, future health and potential disability for the sake of playing a season or even a game? Are you willing to accept the consequences of negative perception, negative image, negative reputation and negative brand? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

So, if something occurs at the University of Nebraska such as a player being hospitalized for covid or dies from this or gets a long term health consequence, it could take a generation or more or even a decade to fully recover from such a negative event.

I doubt it, but it would all come down to the circumstances of what happened and speculating about those now doesn't do any of us any good. Some of the analogies you mentioned are also absurd in the context of a pandemic.

The best we can hope for is that Nebraska follows all guidelines necessary. So far, it sounds like they have and will. Let's cross that bridge if we need to and when we need to.

• Plus1 1