Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is a bit over the line.

I disagree. 

You wouldn't judge any group based on someone who is just joining that group.  Ask any prior college athlete - there is a massive jump in conditioning at the collegiate level.  I was a D1college baseball pitcher.  I thought I was in good shape prior to my first day of practice.  I was very wrong.  It took me 5 weeks before I started to even feel comfortable working out at that level. 

Individual health plays a huge role in how bad this virus impacts a person.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I disagree. 

You wouldn't judge any group based on someone who is just joining that group.  Ask any prior college athlete - there is a massive jump in conditioning at the collegiate level.  I was a D1college baseball pitcher.  I thought I was in good shape prior to my first day of practice.  I was very wrong.  It took me 5 weeks before I started to even feel comfortable working out at that level. 

And Eduardo Rodriguez was a pro athlete. Still happened to him. Cytokine storms can happen to anyone with this virus, regardless of how great of shape you are in. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I disagree. 

I don't really agree with this. 

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I disagree. 

Correct, but this isn't just about the athletes. We all already know that they're in a group of people least likely to face serious health issues related to the virus - they're young and mostly in really good shape. The problem isn't exclusive to them but to the tons of people they come into contact with too i.e. coaches, support staff, family, etc., and those people are not going to be so conveniently fortified to handle the virus.

Freak stuff happens, without question. I think most people understand this and are not going to make sweeping generalizations as a result. But we have to expand our scope and vision beyond just the little bubble of what it means for the athletes.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, knapplc said:
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

6'4", 325 pound freshman.  Kid is arguably not in the greatest shape just based on pictures.  He is obviously overweight and hasn't been through college workouts.  He is an outlier in that he did have to go to the ER but is not admitted.  His mom is speculating about further issues but what parent wouldn't right now.  She is understandably scared.  As a parent I would be.  I wish the kid the best but I don't believe he fits the typical stereotype of a college athlete in the best shape of his life.

My point is this case shouldn't be the gleaming example that college athletes are in danger.  The reports coming out of all the other schools, like Illinois, are consistently saying their athletes are experiencing mild to no symptoms when positive.         

This is a bit over the line.

A bit? And several people here called some of my hypothetical's on how several college football fans are "seriously" thinking, but not outright saying, as "callous"?  This post is pure callousness all in the name of attempting to justify playing college football.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And Eduardo Rodriguez was a pro athlete. Still happened to him. Cytokine storms can happen to anyone with this virus, regardless of how great of shape you are in. 

He still is a pro athlete.  I agree, the Eduardo Rodriguez case is concerning.  However should we stop a sport based on rare cases?

If you say yes, consider this - There have been 30 heat-related college football player deaths from 2000 to 2018 according to the American Council on Science and Health.  https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/boy-14-collapses-and-dies-after-overheating-at-football-practice/328874#:~:text=According to the Center for,Council on Science and Health.

There were many more cases through youth and high school football and even more in other sports.

Should we stop all workouts and games anytime the temperature reaches a certain point?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Correct, but this isn't just about the athletes. We all already know that they're in a group of people least likely to face serious health issues related to the virus - they're young and mostly in really good shape. The problem isn't exclusive to them but to the tons of people they come into contact with too i.e. coaches, support staff, family, etc., and those people are not going to be so conveniently fortified to handle the virus.

Freak stuff happens, without question. I think most people understand this and are not going to make sweeping generalizations as a result. But we have to expand our scope and vision beyond just the little bubble of what it means for the athletes.

The support staff and faculty can wear PPE.  These kids are already the leading age group getting and passing the virus along so their families are at risk regardless of football.  Whether we have football or not, many of these kids are going to get the virus.  At least with football their life will have some structure and they will be motivated to stay covid free.  I can tell you the average kid in america right now isn't afraid of this.    

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Cytokine storms can happen to anyone with this virus, regardless of how great of shape you are in

Do not confuse Hilltop with technical medical jargon (although he is an expert in this area as his most recent research paper discussed cytokine cascade syndrome). When he discusses football, he gets cytokine confused with cyclone and thinks you are talking about Iowa State. 

Football good, covid bad, but covid not bad enough to hurt football as football is good.

36 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

As a broad statement, the overall health of one's immune system impacts your body's ability to fight off pathogens.

You might be conflating that concept with "being in shape," not sure.

13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

He still is a pro athlete.  I agree, the Eduardo Rodriguez case is concerning.  However should we stop a sport based on rare cases?

If you say yes, consider this - There have been 30 heat-related college football player deaths from 2000 to 2018 according to the American Council on Science and Health.  https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/boy-14-collapses-and-dies-after-overheating-at-football-practice/328874#:~:text=According to the Center for,Council on Science and Health.

There were many more cases through youth and high school football and even more in other sports.

Should we stop all workouts and games anytime the temperature reaches a certain point?

I don't think you are making the point you think you're making. The last heat stroke death in D1 was at Maryland and it ended with an entire coaching staff being fired and lawsuit against the university. This is exactly what Universities are going to try and avoid. Heat stroke deaths obviously don't happy strictly because a temperature reaches a certain high, it happens because universities ignore player safety. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

As a broad statement, the overall health of one's immune system impacts your body's ability to fight off pathogens.

You might be conflating that concept with "being in shape," not sure.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52076856

https://www.businessinsider.com/exercise-may-help-prevent-a-deadly-coronavirus-complication-2020-4

https://www.acsm.org/blog-detail/acsm-blog/2020/03/30/exercise-immunity-covid-19-pandemic

There is a lot more information out there but in general, people in better shape handle this virus better.  It is a broad statement supported by just about every medical professional out there.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

There is a lot more information out there but in general, people in better shape handle this virus better.  It is a broad statement supported by just about every medical professional out there.  

I agree with you Hilltop that broadly, being a "healthy individual" tends to lessen one's severity of illness and one's ability to fight off pathogens.

• Plus1 1